Tesla tree?

Won't a tesla biome be too "futuristic", compared with the rest of the game ? I mean, what kind of floor could it have ? :(

I'm ok with the tesla trees, but if the floor of the biome was supposed to be some metallic/tesla floor, in my opinion it wouldn't suit at all the rest of the game and its atmosphere..

Won't a tesla biome be too "futuristic", compared with the rest of the game ? I mean, what kind of floor could it have ? :(

I'm ok with the tesla trees, but if the floor of the biome was supposed to be some metallic/tesla floor, in my opinion it wouldn't suit at all the rest of the game and its atmosphere..

Luckily for you:

That was the original idea. I think the tree was actually the first thing we made for the DLC. The biome itself was going to be a key part in a larger system that we scrapped, so the rest of the biome went with it. We liked the Volt Goats so much that we decided to keep them, which is why you still see them in the game!

I was kind of imagining it as perhaps not so much an entire biome, but a patchy biome like the chess biome is now.  Here and there maybe you'd find groups of the things, along with other weird sciencey stuff.  Not necessarily more out of place than the chess biome itself, given the context of the game. 

I was kind of imagining it as perhaps not so much an entire biome, but a patchy biome like the chess biome is now.  Here and there maybe you'd find groups of the things, along with other weird sciencey stuff.  Not necessarily more out of place than the chess biome itself, given the context of the game. 

Yes I imagine the same, just a few patches of the biome, in a steam punk/rusty style, would have suited more than an entire tesla forest biome I think.

The Tesla tree will be used in conjunction with a new item, the cruciform, which, when attached to the players chest, will ressurect the dead flesh of the player. After attaching the cruciform the player suspends his or her self to the tree, arms streched out sideways, a la Jesus Christ, to be murdered via electric charge then consequently reincarnated with the cruciform endlessly, in periodic fashion; this is a form of punishment and atonement for the sin of being a human.

The Tesla tree will be used in conjunction with a new item, the cruciform, which, when attached to the players chest, will ressurect the dead flesh of the player. After attaching the cruciform the player suspends his or her self to the tree, arms streched out sideways, a la Jesus Christ, to be murdered via electric charge then consequently reincarnated with the cruciform endlessly, in periodic fashion; this is a form of punishment and atonement for the sin of being a human.

Someone's been eating far too many raw green mushrooms...

Eeeeeerrrr...nope

Ooh! Now I'm getting a cool idea for a creepy mod based on that Priests tale. Introduce the Shrike as a monster (after caves of course, since you'd encounter him in the time tunnels) and imagine this: you enter the world through the portal or whatever. Scavenge. And like the new religious pigs, you will encounter some asexual inhabitants that will try to attach the cruciform to you. Sounds like a good idea, free resurrection, until you realize the terror of eternity. Maybe your insanity drops to zero each time you resurrect. And the Shrike encounter in the caves of course. I really want these traps trees.

No one knows what I'm talking about huh? I'm guessing the developers of the Tesla trees have read the books at any rate, unless it was an idea indepently arrived at without the books in mind, which is possible. Tesla is a common source of inspiration for ideas of comingling science and nature. Anyhooz, here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos#The_Shrike

*Tesla trees (stupid *smart* phone)

@PerryNoid

I'd rather religion didn't become a part of Don't Starve. It just makes everything very difficult and somewhat political.

Plus, being unreligious myself (to put it very mildly), there's a possibility that I would actually stop playing the game entirely.

Mind you, if it was kept as an optional mod so it's not shoved down anyone's throat, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Ooh! Now I'm getting a cool idea for a creepy mod based on that Priests tale. Introduce the Shrike as a monster (after caves of course, since you'd encounter him in the time tunnels) and imagine this: you enter the world through the portal or whatever. Scavenge. And like the new religious pigs, you will encounter some asexual inhabitants that will try to attach the cruciform to you. Sounds like a good idea, free resurrection, until you realize the terror of eternity. Maybe your insanity drops to zero each time you resurrect. And the Shrike encounter in the caves of course. I really want these traps trees. No one knows what I'm talking about huh? I'm guessing the developers of the Tesla trees have read the books at any rate, unless it was an idea indepently arrived at without the books in mind, which is possible. Tesla is a common source of inspiration for ideas of comingling science and nature.

Now you only need to find someone that wants to make such a mod...

I don't expect anyone would make such a mod. I was half joking about it.

As for the religion thing; sorry I brought it up. I was not trying to bring it in to the game or suggest that it should be. I was not trying to bring it up here either since it is hard, imo, to have everyone talk about the same thing when it comes to that. Talking about religion online is usually just an example of miscommunication and conflation. I only meant to bring up the game and the likely source of inspiration for the Tesla trees.

If you look at the game and what inspired it though you will find Lovecraft and Victorian era occultism; the age in which we captured light and were made aware of invisible forces in the world (scientifically). There's a spooky mysticism in the game already, all I'm saying, not saying anything about personal beliefs just talking about the game and stories.

Ehh, fair enough. You weren't being obnoxious or anything, don't get me wrong. Haha.

Plus, I've just realised how using your phone to reply to stuff on the forums can ruin the entire format. How embarassing.

Anyhoo, I've derailed this thread enough! I shall be on my merry way.

Have fun! ;)

Ehh, fair enough. You weren't being obnoxious or anything, don't get me wrong. Haha.

Plus, I've just realised how using your phone to reply to stuff on the forums can ruin the entire format. How embarassing.

Anyhoo, I've derailed this thread enough! I shall be on my merry way.

Have fun! ;)

<fistbump> respect

Archived