General thoughts/feedback

Haven't posted on the forums much, but I've played nearly 200 hours of Don't Starve. Based on that and the time I've spent messing with RoG, here's what I've come up with (this is based on mostly playing autumn and a bit of winter, haven't gotten to spring or summer yet):

First of all, I really really like this DLC so far. It feels like a proper expansion and really breathes a lot of life back into Don't Starve for me. The two things that strike me as particularly wonky right now are tumbleweeds and the wetness meter. I like the concept of getting soaked in itself, but the way it's currently implemented is really counter-intuitive. The lack of effective ways to dry off and no clear indication of how soaked your clothes are just makes things confusing and tedious.

If there's a visual indicator of wetness, I didn't see it - all I noticed was that sloshing sound which took ages to go away even though I was standing by a fire and my wetness meter never got past 30 or so. Maybe water should drip off your clothes when they're soaked and decrease as they dry? I didn't even know clothes could get soaked until I read it on the forums and then noticed it in-game.

There should be some type of logic as to what items can become wet and others can't, and in my opinion some clothes should take longer to dry off than others (fluffy items like the winter hat would logically stay wet longer than a football helmet, for example).

Tumbleweeds drop too much for how common they are, and sometimes they just don't make sense. Obviously Don't Starve isn't meant to be the picture of realism, but why on Earth would they drop yellow gems? I don't think they should drop dark petals either, as it takes away the tradeoff of losing sanity for a useful item (granted they aren't super common from tumbleweeds, but still).

That's what stands out to me right now, I'm sure I'll come up with more. Really looking forward to seeing RoG develop and improve.

So I just tried winter. Oh my god that was hellishly difficult, and not in a fun way. I made it to day 30 (~10 days of winter) before I committed suicide by pengull because I was screwed anyway and I refused to starve to death. Admittedly I wasn't as stocked up as I could have been, but I still had a decent amount of supplies. The entire problem was the wetness meter. The winter hat I made was utterly useless because the instant I put it on almost everything in my inventory would get wet (bug?), regardless of whether it was snowing or not.

I was playing as Wilson and even with his beard I couldn't step away from my firepit for more than 10 seconds without starting to freeze because all I could wear was a straw hat and umbrella. The vast majority of my time was spent frantically cycling items in and out of a chest and waiting for them to dry. The only conceivable way I can see to make it through winter would be to stock up on lots of fuel and basically hide in your base the entire time, which is the opposite of fun.

Much of this problem would be eliminated if there were ways to dry clothes etc other than sticking them in a chest for a few seconds. I also don't think one wet item should instantly spread to everything else in your inventory, maybe have it happen gradually although this might not be an issue if there were better ways to dry off.

• Developer

Winter is really hard right now because snow is providing wetness when it's not supposed to. That's a bug that will be fixed. 

I'll admit - feedback for wet items right now is poor. And the system for wet items isn't the best. Right now, how wet your items are is actually tied to how wet the world is. We're going to change how this is done. Right now, the thinking is we'll make a more complicated wetness component that actually listens to heaters etc. and add it to important items like clothing and tools. We're also adding a few more indicators to wet items like changing the colour of the text, adding an icon to inventory images and putting more descriptive strings in the name. 

Winter is really hard right now because snow is providing wetness when it's not supposed to. That's a bug that will be fixed. 

Might want to pin a post to this effect Bryce (along with the container bug, and other bugs that are getting reported repeatedly), it may head off a lot of superfluous posts.

Good to know that it's a bug, I suspected it might be but I wasn't sure. I hope I didn't sound too critical, I was in a bit of shock at how brutal it was. :p Aside from fixing the bugs I think the most important thing is making the overall system more intuitive, so that's great to hear.

Thank god.

I thought i was just doing really bad.

I was doing pretty well, had lots of supplies and food, but because i carry alot of items around with me, even with my umbrella it takes WAY too long to dry out my entire inventory, and i am losing sanity so fast i have had to sleep every night and now my resources are dwindling.

I like this challenge though, i haven't felt this challenged by Don't Starve since i first learnt how to survive winter.

I'll still enjoy it when it is gone though, because right now i either have the choice of staying at my base and starving to death, or going out for supplies to continue living, but risk loosing masses of health trying to chop down trees etc.

Right now i am on day 37 with almost no food in my ice box, and my sanity is below 30. Wish me luck.

Edit: Holy kitten in a shoe shop my Sanity is going down fast, it isn't even snowing and within 5 - 15 seconds of no umbrella (had to chop down trees for fire wood) my sanity is already below 10 ;-; 

Edit edit: Within another 5 - 15 seconds my sanity is at pure 0, thank god the sanity monsters are as easy as I remember them (dodge their attack, hit them once, wait for them to walk back to you, repeat)

Edit: Holy kitten in a shoe shop my Sanity is going down fast, it isn't even snowing and within 5 - 15 seconds of no umbrella (had to chop down trees for fire wood) my sanity is already below 10 ;-; 

Edit edit: Within another 5 - 15 seconds my sanity is at pure 0, thank god the sanity monsters are as easy as I remember them (dodge their attack, hit them once, wait for them to walk back to you, repeat)

Yeah, now that we know that the world contributes to how wet your items are it makes a lot more sense. I think I'll skip winter for now until the bugs are ironed out, looking forward to seeing what it's like with a better system.

Yeah, now that we know that the world contributes to how wet your items are it makes a lot more sense. I think I'll skip winter for now until the bugs are ironed out, looking forward to seeing what it's like with a better system.

Yeah at the moment it is basically only for people who are fully prepared or enjoy the idea of losing all their hard work.

So even though i want that bug to be fixed i love it. So much

Archived