Animals in Chests should "spoil"

• Developer

I just implemented this. Rabbits and moles perish similarly to food. You can reset their perish timer by feeding them something they'd normally eat. I'm interested to see how this plays.

I just implemented this. Rabbits and moles perish similarly to food. You can reset their perish timer by feeding them something they'd normally eat. I'm interested to see how this plays.

This is good from a balance point... WAIT: this means we'll have dead corpses of animals! Hurray!

Wow, I was just thinking the meter would go away when you removed them from the container.   WHAT HAVE I DONE?!  Bryce, you specifically mentioned rabbits and moles.  Birds will get the same treatment ya?    I hope rabbits eat seeds cause they sure as heck ain't getting my carrots!  Lets be honest though, probably not getting my seeds either.   

Interesting.  Particularly since insects stack whereas the animals don't.  I hope each bee does not require a honey!  I can't really imagine a scenario in which I'd feed a rabbit since the food values of a cooked morsel vs anything they're likely to eat is the same.  GIven the amount of spare flint I normally end up with I could see feeding a mole on a purely economical basis, but that level of micromanaging for a morsel...meh.    Bees on the other hand, are useful.  Definitely puts a kink in the "stacks of killer bees" defense! 

There's also the question of what remains after the creature dies.  Rot, or a regular drop?  If regular drop, suffocating rabbits in a chest would be a good way to avoid naughtiness and still get the morsels.  Unless all rabbits/birds/moles/butterflies that die in chests automatically add to the player's naughtiness, since I don't think there's any other way for them to end up in the chest in the first place but that the player puts them there.  It should almost be naughtier than straight up murdering them.   In which case it might be a convenient way to summon krampus.

Can't wait to find out!

Interesting.  Particularly since insects stack whereas the animals don't.  I hope each bee does not require a honey!  I can't really imagine a scenario in which I'd feed a rabbit since the food values of a cooked morsel vs anything they're likely to eat is the same.  GIven the amount of spare flint I normally end up with I could see feeding a mole on a purely economical basis, but that level of micromanaging for a morsel...meh.    Bees on the other hand, are useful.  Definitely puts a kink in the "stacks of killer bees" defense! 

There's also the question of what remains after the creature dies.  Rot, or a regular drop?  If regular drop, suffocating rabbits in a chest would be a good way to avoid naughtiness and still get the morsels.  Unless all rabbits/birds/moles/butterflies that die in chests automatically add to the player's naughtiness, since I don't think there's any other way for them to end up in the chest in the first place but that the player puts them there.  It should almost be naughtier than straight up murdering them.   In which case it might be a convenient way to summon krampus.

Great thoughts here! On a larger scale, it makes sense to do this to reduce the "critter hording" many tend to do (I'm reminded of Elmyra from Tiny Toons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxvzEfI0BFU ) and force us to only gather them before we need them.  But I would be sad about not being able to keep a stack of killer bees around for emergencies; it takes away any incentive to collect them (I wish I could make a killer bee hive for home defense - that would rock).

And the naughtiness issue is a great one to bring up.  Gameplay-wise, you'd avoid it, but karma-wise, it should earn more naughtiness for being a terrible person.  I wonder if instead of dying quietly, they break out of the container and run off - that prevents the auto-death while also wrecking some havoc.  I envision coming home to find fireball rabbits bopping around and angry killer bees zipping around setting fire to everything... oh dear Them, what have I done?

I wonder if instead of dying quietly, they break out of the container and run off .... I envision coming home to find fireball rabbits bopping around and angry killer bees zipping around setting fire to everything...

That would definitely be interesting, however I suspect the DS world operates off schrodinger's rules.  I.e. your animals (and food, etc) in the chest do not actually rot until you open the chest and the game checks their rot timer start vs the current time.   Otherwise, I'd suggest that when the animals die in the chest, your character says something along the lines of "uh-oh, I think I left some animals in the chest!".  Poor Wolfgang would lose sanity no doubt.

That would definitely be interesting, however I suspect the DS world operates off schrodinger's rules.  I.e. your animals (and food, etc) in the chest do not actually rot until you open the chest and the game checks their rot timer start vs the current time.   Otherwise, I'd suggest that when the animals die in the chest, your character says something along the lines of "uh-oh, I think I left some animals in the chest!".  Poor Wolfgang would lose sanity no doubt.

Ahh, that makes sense.  I haven't had the time to pore through the code, but I'm enjoying reading about the coding architecture of the game since I took a couple coding classes way back when.

I just had a crazy idea for a Time Backwardsinator Beam - aim it at something, and it goes backward in time.  Works on trees (reverses life cycle growth), beefalo, and stored items. Use at your own risk on other things.  XD

I just had a crazy idea for a Time Backwardsinator Beam - aim it at something, and it goes backward in time.  Works on trees (reverses life cycle growth), beefalo, and stored items. Use at your own risk on other things.  XD

That is a great idea!  Perfect for MAD SCIENCE!   Food becomes good again, weapons and armor gain durability.   Magic items get uses back?  If the latter were true, the cost would have to be pretty steep.  Maybe doesn't work on the deconstructor staff period - that could open routes to abuse, depending...

If you kill a rabbit who is about to die of hunger, does it give you a spoiled Morsel? If not, it def should.

I still don't think it makes sense to store animals in a chest. Gotta love game logic! And that they perish. Alive. Although feeding them really makes sense. 

An animal cage would be kinda cool aswell. 

Archived