Wickerbottom: misses out on Science Machine prototyping sanity?

Zalyn

Hi!  I have a question about Wickerbottom and her sanity.  I was excited to play her because SCIENCE!, but I found I was having big sanity problems on her in the early game (when on other characters it wasn't an issue - I don't usually sleep until winter anyway).  Then I noticed that she doesn't get the 15 sanity boost from prototyping the Science Machine recipes... because she already knows them. According to the Wiki (http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Science_Tab), that's 600 sanity she's missing out on in early game that makes it less of an issue for conservative play (ie: no wormhole luge or mushroom tripping).

Is this intentional in the design of her character?  Given that she can't sleep already, it seems that sanity is meant to be a big challenge for her (like hunger for Wolfgang), but I wanted to check to see if that was actually intended or if it was unintended (ie: sanity gain linked to Prototype function, which Wicky wouldn't do when building Tier 1 for the first time).  I hadn't seen any posts discussing this, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

(long time lurker, first time poster - looks like a fun place!)

I never thought by this point but it makes sense. I thought that Willow was the sanity-challenge.

I guess it was the way they found to slow down early exploration with her, because having all the science machine recipes unlocked sure speeds up a lot.

Also, no matter which character i'm playing, i always use the top hat to counter sanity until i have bee boxes or tents. It works quite well with my playstyle and the recipe isn't expensive,maybe it works for you too. Flowers seems useless but they saved me a few times already.

And welcome to the forums! :D

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes! 

Top hat is quite good for maintaining sanity; I had just noticed a "feeling" shortly after setting up a base (usually done only when I can build Science Machine) that my sanity wasn't quite as good on Wickerbottom, and then I realized it was because of the lack of prototyping sanity for that first tier. As long as it's intentional, then I'm fine with it - I like a challenge.

Willow can get wonky if her sanity gets too low, but the nice thing is that it's a self-correcting problem.

Welcome to the forums new players. Here's the summary (also especially useful to remember if you read a blueprint and think you can "craft" something as a prototype later: )

If somebody "knows" something, they can't prototype something, so yes, intentional.

The "Alchemy engine" is her "new science machine" and you need to plan accordingly. One of her books DOES require a shadow Manipulator, so you will need the highest tier science AND magic to use all  books in the future.

That written, using books drains sanity too!

These reasons above are also why she has a Starting/Max sanity of 250 compared to Wilson's base 200 (and considering how often I played WX-78 who only has 100 starting sanity it's quite manageable starting with 250!)

What, you haven't figured out how to regain sanity (without sleep) early on? 

Green mushrooms cooked restore as much as a prototype. They are in woods and swamps most frequently but can be found in most other places in lesser numbers. (And until you know what you are doing, don't explore swamps unarmored; you have been warned!) All picked mushrooms  regrow 10-20 game hours approximately after it rains. Mushrooms can be dug up for another but it permanently destroys the plant from regrowing.  

For Wickerbotom advanced Sanity management, food and clothing are now your new best friends.

Make a Top hat ASAP and learn how to make Taffy/Pumpkin Cookies, because waiting for it to rain again for picked green mushrooms cooked won't always be there for you.  

When you get the Tam O' Shanter hat and make sewing kits, all this will be moot. (Hint, go exploring in Winter and learn to kill those [your size not giant sized] who hunt YOU, but the drop is a 25% random chance.)

The only thing I can't figure out with her is how to permanently live in caves.

Appreciate the advice, truthseeker; it's certainly helpful for new players still trying to manage sanity. 

I wasn't looking for help on managing the sanity myself; I was curious about whether the loss of sanity boost was intentional for the character (and not an unintended bug). I have 180+ day games on Wilson, Willow, and Wendy (I've been playing for a few months) and have Tams aplenty.  I had just noticed a higher sanity drop over the early game, which led me to notice the prototype loss.  I don't bother with Taffy/Pumpkin Cookies.  Jerky works fine for me, and I prefer to save my Honey for Hams and Nuggets (low carb!).  

And doesn't Wickerbottom only need a Science Machine to craft the second tier Science items (which would normally be unlocked with Alchemy Engine)?   :friendly_wink: 

And doesn't Wickerbottom only need a Science Machine to craft the second tier Science items (which would normally be unlocked with Alchemy Engine)?   friendly_wink.png

thats true but i did come across an item which requires an alchemy engine to prototype in my last world with wickerbottom.. i think it was the on tentacles book but my memory aint the best i'm afraid so i could be mistaken. I couldnt prototype with the science machine.

thats true but i did come across an item which requires an alchemy engine to prototype in my last world with wickerbottom.. i think it was the on tentacles book but my memory aint the best i'm afraid so i could be mistaken. I couldnt prototype with the science machine.

Yep, Alchemy and Shadow manipulators are needed for two of her books.

The "Crafts one tier higher" was removed since "Strange New Powers." She just knows all Science Machine items at start. Some things can be crafted earlier, but never magic.  

So, how about:

Wickerbottom - Her sanity didn't restore when she sleep?

I think: sleep is good way to make the user relax for his character. Alway in the dark is so boring (and dangerous too :-) )

Umm, Wickerbottom can't sleep, she's an insomniac I think is the word.

I agree with you, Wickerbottom is my third favorite don't starve character, (For science!) but i have trouble keeping her sanity on top! Sometimes I have to waste a full day just to pick flowers in a nearby oasis, but flowers can be hard to replace. With sleeping in a tent/straw roll/fur roll being the top ways to regain sanity instantly, Wickerbottom is NOT! The sane type... 

Ah, this thread was the reason I joined the forums! 

Fortunately, in the DLC, there is a lot more rain, which means more mushrooms!  Also, the full moon that makes mushrooms into mushtrees makes it a lot easier to find the green ones using the map.  So I'm trying Wickerbottom again.

A) find a ton of green caps somewhere and flag it with a sign so you remember the spot.

B) make a ton of beehives for candy.

C) always try to equip a top hat untill you find a Tam o' Shanter.

D) make alot of drying racks and make alot of jerky.

Once you find a Tam o' Shanter or a good green cap zone, you wont have troubles with sanity.

Try not to use any of the books early on (day 1-5) without atleast two greencaps nearby.

Cheers!

Archived