- - - - -

Invisible, Inc. name change

53 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason
  • Super Moderator

• 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

We have changed the name of the game to Invisible, Inc.  

After some focus testing careful consideration, Invisible, Inc. was better received than the old "Incognita". Our focus of the design does not change in that it will still be a game of turn based tactical espionage. 

So please enjoy your future infiltrating as an elite member of the super spy agency: Invisible, Inc.

[edited for clarity:http://forums.kleien...e-2#entry406671]

#2 Neosaurus

Neosaurus

• 692 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I personally like Incognita more, but thats OK.

Hello! I'm Neosaurus! I'm here to help, they even (didn't) give me a name badge to remind me of who I am, which is very nice as that does tend to happen...

Avatar by the incredible F3RR1S!

#3 toejam

toejam

• 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yeah i liked Incognita much better too, but you guys do you.

Edited by toejam, 16 January 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#4 SuicideBunny

SuicideBunny

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

incognita was definitely a better name plus there's this: http://www.invisibleinc.com/

#5 Lokai

Lokai

• 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I also like Incognita more, especially since Invisible, Inc. reminds me of several other games. But you guys tested it so whatever. Hope it turns out well. 

#6 the truthseeker

the truthseeker
  • I believe in Chester Day

• 2576 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Also an Incognita fan of the name...didn't know another company was called Invisible Inc. 

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#7 23rd

23rd
  • Honorary Hawaiian

• 741 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

I, TOO, PREFERRED THE NAME INCOGNwhoa caps.

"What is important is to spread confusion, not eliminate it." -Salvador Dali

I write stories.

I also write field notes.

#8 Sinewave

Sinewave

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Incognita was slicker, unique and more cerebral.

Focus groups are never a good idea, Invisible, Inc either sounds like a bargain bin game or something aimed at children. Very generic and lifeless.

Anyway, still bought the game, still think it'll be a solid game - just think you're doing the game a disservice. I'd hope that you'd reconsider.

#9 Apozor

Apozor

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

I prefer Incognita as well. 

Invisible Inc. is too generic in my opinion. Plus, for other countries, "Inc." is meaningless. 

Incognita is unique, has more personality. My two cents... 

#10 sergioj

sergioj

• 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

To be honest I don't care about the name. 

Keep iterating to make a game as awesome as Don't Starve. :)

#11 StoofooEsq

StoofooEsq

• 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Invisible, Inc. is a neat pun, but I too preferred the name Incognita more. When I first heard the name Incognita back when it was revealed, I found it to be a unique fit for a game with the unique premise of turn-based stealth. Plus, there's that actual Invisible, Inc. that the truthseeker mentioned above that could pose a potential copyright issue.

All that aside, I've already bought the game months ago and put 23 hours into the Alpha. I still think the game itself is great, regardless of title.

Edited by StoofooEsq, 16 January 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#12 dianetics

dianetics

• 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

I hate it.

#13 Cookies!

Cookies!

• 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

While I understand you don't want your name meaning "with one's identity concealed" but in the female sense of the word. I mean no one was wearing a mask in the game. I cannot help but wonder would it not have been easier to add masks or fake passports than to rename the whole game?

By the way also feel incognita has a slicker feel and fewer meanings/products when searching. Maybe if you wrote out Incorporated it would feel better? That way you could be corporate invisibles. Not that I think all of the characters would want to work for a corp.

Is invisible Inc a dummy corp that is just a front for the ones that hired us? More info would help me with the new name.

Edited by Cookies!, 16 January 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#14 Stoibs

Stoibs

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Eww. Yuck.

Those "Focus Testers" screwed you over.

Perhaps they were trolling for the giggles?

Yeah can't imagine how this sounds better than the sleeker and non-childish sounding Incognita, but hey whatever floats your boat I suppose... :|

#15 Bigfoot

Bigfoot
  • Klei Founder

• 292 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hey everyone! I get that names are subjective, and it's great to hear your feedback on it. 

Ultimately, we found that people gave us weird looks when we said the previous name, and frequently ended the conversation at that moment. Focus test is probably the wrong name for how we came to our conclusion -- it was more that we simply went around talking to people -- game developers and players alike -- about the two names and found that the curiosity level increased significantly when using Invisible Inc. 

Obviously the most important part is the game itself, and being a design nerd, it's probably my favourite Klei game yet. I believe that once people start playing our game, they'll love it and spread the word, and I hope you'll do that same. 

Please keep giving us constructive feedback! We really appreciate it.

#16 Cookies!

Cookies!

• 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

I looked into it and I found that I keep typing invisible ink. I know Incorporation/Incorporated is longer and corp may not be as good, but it is better than invisible L.L.C.?

God forbid Invisible L.L.L.P..

#17 satoru

satoru

• 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I looked into it and I found that I keep typing invisible ink. I know Incorporation/Incorporated is longer and corp may not be as good, but it is better than invisible L.L.C.?

God forbid Invisible L.L.L.P..

Well at least they're a Canadian Company. If they were German we'd be stuck with Invisible GmbH

Doesn't exactly 'roll off the tounge' does it.

Edited by satoru, 16 January 2014 - 10:09 PM.

"Wherever you go, there you are"

#18 TheCalcutec

TheCalcutec

• 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Going to pile on briefly and cast my voice of dissent: Incognita is super evocative, and it will live on in my heart!

But fine. Invisible, Inc. is okay too, I guess. I do like the Inc./Ink pun, so I'll live.

#19 SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle

• 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

Yeah, when I saw the name change, I had a pang of disappointment.  Incognita was a better name IMO.  However, Invisible Inc. probably better gets the attention of people who don't know what the game is.

I wish there was some middle ground... something cool but still understandable.

Rest in peace Incognita.  I'll just have to get used to this.

The feel of the game could be emphasized with the word "Codename"  ... like... "Codename: Incognita".  Codename gives the idea that we're doing secret agent stuff, and lends the idea that Incognita means something important (worth ones time figuring it out).

Honestly, that sounds so much better than Invisible, Inc. to me.

Codename: Incognita...  Say it with me.... o.o

Edited by SquarelyCircle, 17 January 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#20 toejam

toejam

• 112 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

The secret Identity of Invisible, Inc is Incognita 

Edited by toejam, 17 January 2014 - 01:35 AM.