Invisible, Inc. - Update 7 - Jan 15 th

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason
  • Super Moderator

• 81 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

The seventh update for the Incognita Alpha. Anno nova.

Welcome to a new year! I hope you all had a great holiday. 

The meta loop has begun. Playing the game (winning or losing ) will earn you metapoints (working name) which are used to unlock new teams, access to new items and quests, new skill, etc. 

We've made some design changes to the arc of the game. This update starts to bring those changes forward. You do not select corporations to infiltrate now. The order is chosen randomly each time you play. We wanted more control of the game difficulty and play length. As well, we have some new dials to turn that will increase replay-ability. 

We've started to make some adjustments to the difficulty curve. We want to see the earlier levels become a little easier and shorter. 

A monetary incentive to stealth has been added. At the end of each level Players are charged 100 credits for each kill as a clean up fee to the agency. Not killing any guards earns a bonus of 500 credits.

Change list notes:

• Meta game loop added. Players earn metapoints by ending games, either by a win or a lose. Metapoints are used to unlock new choices.
  • New game flow. Random corporation order selection.
  • Adjustments to difficulty. Many stat adjustments to level generation and point values of items and abilities.
  • "Clean up fee" stealth play incentive.
  • Drones have a mainframe hacking option.

#2 23rd

23rd
  • Honorary Hawaiian

• 740 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

A monetary incentive to stealth has been added. At the end of each level Players are charged 100 credits for each kill as a clean up fee to the agency. Not killing any guards earns a bonus of 500 credits.

Reminds me of the Hitman series, keeping operations as professional and quiet as possible. I like this, it'll give me a lot more reason to use ACME over GO as opposed to before where I would blast through floors until I ran out of ammo for Shalem, just to find a store and do it all over again.

Edited by 23rd, 15 January 2014 - 06:25 PM.

"What is important is to spread confusion, not eliminate it." -Salvador Dali

I write stories.

I also write field notes.

#3 nomotog

nomotog

• 31 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Is it just new teams we unlock with meta points? Because I don't think that will be enough for me. I'll want more linking of the tactical games.

The game also feels more balanced with this new patch. Well balanced or easy depending on how you look at it. I finally made it past level 2. I even beat a base. Maybe I just got better at the game though.

Drone hacking kind of underwhelmed me. 3 points to disable a drone for a few turns. It's useful, but not all that cool. When I read the update, I was imagining something as cool as taking over the drone and moving them about. It might be too powerful an ability though.

The bonus for not killing people is nice. I didn't need an incentive to be stealth, but it's nice to be rewarded for it. Maybe some more bonuses for like not being seen or for keeping the alarm low. On the other hand, the 500 credits gives me an incentive to just run right to the end because that is a safer profit then trying to find consoles and safes.

#4 BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey

• 23 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

How exactly did level generation change?

I tried a couple of starts and ran into a firefight right away on each of them.  One of them was not realizing peeking through a door would tip off security but the rest was terrible drone placement and the fact the starting console seems to have been removed and the inability to shut down cameras and other security leads to me being funnel in one direction where before I had options.

I like the idea of being able to unlock more teams, but I would still like to have at least 2 choices to start.  

#5 the truthseeker

the truthseeker
  • I believe in Chester Day

• 2576 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

I like the stealth concepts but will need to try all the changes out in detail before weighing my final verdict. 

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#6 Jason

Jason
  • Super Moderator

• 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Is it just new teams we unlock with meta points? 

It's just teams in the current build. But there will be other stuff to open up as we progress. 

#7 jamesl

jamesl
  • Technical Designer

• 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

How exactly did level generation change?

I tried a couple of starts and ran into a firefight right away on each of them.  One of them was not realizing peeking through a door would tip off security but the rest was terrible drone placement and the fact the starting console seems to have been removed and the inability to shut down cameras and other security leads to me being funnel in one direction where before I had options.

I like the idea of being able to unlock more teams, but I would still like to have at least 2 choices to start.  

The main change to the level generation is that it's significantly smaller and slightly easier early on, with several tweaks towards that goal. This has caused a lot of unintended weirdness where stuff is cramped up in a small level that we're still investigating and balancing. Sounds like you may have run into some of those cramped situations :) 

We'll keep looking the level generation changes and hopefully keep smoothing out situations that feel "unfair" from the spawn 

#8 the truthseeker

the truthseeker

• 2576 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

The main change to the level generation is that it's significantly smaller and slightly easier early on, with several tweaks towards that goal. This has caused a lot of unintended weirdness where stuff is cramped up in a small level that we're still investigating and balancing. Sounds like you may have run into some of those cramped situations :-) 

We'll keep looking the level generation changes and hopefully keep smoothing out situations that feel "unfair" from the spawn 

Hmm, the second time I've seen this in as many threads here.

I might have to deliberately make several starts (whether I survive or not) just to check the immediate layout. 

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#9 sergioj

sergioj

• 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Sounds promising! :) I like a lot the incentive to stealth. 

#10 apparatur

apparatur

• 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "escape with the highlighted gurads usb drive" task is new with this version, isn't it?

Can anybody tell me how that is supposed to work? I couldn't pickpocket the guard standing right behind him and i couldn't take the usb drive standing right over him after he was knocked out. Is that a bug or am I doing it wrong? :)

#11 Muirios

Muirios

• 102 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

when I got to the escape with highlighted guards usb driver mission, I killed him, waited for him to die and then looted his corpse, but I imagine if u knock him out you could do the same thing thought I don't know.

#12 BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey

• 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

I did definitely notice the levels got smaller, and I do appreciate that. Before it was sometimes hard to just locate the exit before the timer hit 20, now that actually seems like a reasonable period of time.  You may be able to go a slight bit larger, though.  I think the issue is did you tweak the number of guards that are generated?  Naturally if the number of security stays the same while the area decreases the density increases, and I have noticed more incidents where I encounter security sooner and end up running into multiple guards at once.

Did you purposefully remove the guaranteed console in the starting room or is that a bug?  As I mentioned before, not having any CPU sometimes limits movement a bit due to security.  I don't need half a dozen CPU right out the gate, but being able to shut down a camera before having to hike halfway across the level would be appreciated.

A small point about difficulty:  The game gets easier as your team grows, I think a large part of starting difficulty is the fact that you only have 2 people to scout around and if you run into the wrong type of security and they are taken out you are screwed.

#13 the truthseeker

the truthseeker

• 2576 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

when I got to the escape with highlighted guards usb driver mission, I killed him, waited for him to die and then looted his corpse, but I imagine if u knock him out you could do the same thing thought I don't know.

Considering the changes for not killing, looking for a non-lethal way to do this of course. Any efficient ways? 

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#14 Dantonse

Dantonse

• 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Buyed the alpha jesterday, and I gotta say, good work! I actualy tought you were on your second update, since thats the previous update that Steam says.

#15 apparatur

apparatur

• 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Considering the changes for not killing, looking for a non-lethal way to do this of course. Any efficient ways? 

i tried different ways (pickpocket from behind, knock down, shoot with stun gun, even paralyse with siringe when o the floor) and none of them seems to work.

as of now the only way for me to get the usb drive was to kill the guard. funny enough: the guard with the usb obviously doesn't count for a kill, because you still get the "not killed anyone" reward at the end of the mission.

i hope they're gonna fix that and give us some nonleathal ways to finish the mission.

#16 JonathanEpp

JonathanEpp

• 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

i tried different ways (pickpocket from behind, knock down, shoot with stun gun, even paralyse with siringe when o the floor) and none of them seems to work.

as of now the only way for me to get the usb drive was to kill the guard. funny enough: the guard with the usb obviously doesn't count for a kill, because you still get the "not killed anyone" reward at the end of the mission.

i hope they're gonna fix that and give us some nonleathal ways to finish the mission.

Good to know it's not just me...

#17 rooks

rooks
  • The Untitled

• 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

RE: USB guard.  It was always the intent that you could KO him or otherwise loot the USB without having to resort to murder, but unfortunately that aspect didn't quite make it into this build.

#18 the truthseeker

the truthseeker

• 2576 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Good to know it's not just me...

Same here...

RE: USB guard.  It was always the intent that you could KO him or otherwise loot the USB without having to resort to murder, but unfortunately that aspect didn't quite make it into this build.

Ahh, look forward to the spirit of non-violent options (very appropriately posted here in the US on Martin Luther King Jr's observed Holiday of course) implemented in a future build. 

Oh, how interesting...

Rooks has a Title, and it's The Untitled.

But he has a title, but it's Untitled, but it's a Title and he's Untitled, but it's a....

Edited by the truthseeker, 20 January 2014 - 11:04 AM.

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#19 apparatur

apparatur

• 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

that's what i thought. looking forward to the next update then. the game just keeps getting better and better. keep it up guys :)

#20 Yarrr

Yarrr

• 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

How's the new update coming along? Shouldn't that be around now? Or hm, last week even.