Rock Lobster Population Control

Rock Lobster seem to multiply very quickly and are basically indestructible. 

I think there should be some kind of population control mechanism.

I can think of a few different things:

- They turn to statues once they are fully grown.

- They don't hide when damaged. Instead, their hiding mode is how they appear when they are sleeping. This would allow them to be killed.

Ya know, I HIGHLY agree with your ideas, ESPECIALLY with what happened when I brought rock lobsters to the surface. I thought it'd be a cool idea, but I was a fool, for the world was being infested with these guys! No matter how much I killed, they always managed to re-spawn, which is technically impossible seeing as how without any lobster, it'd be impossible to see them reproduce! Even when I take them back to the caves, they still manage to climb themselves up again! So, my only choice left was to make them feel at home... in a rocky prison.

post-295560-0-70522800-1387758265_thumb.

I agree something should definitely be done about the rock lobsters getting to the surface and infesting the worlds

I only brought 3 up with me and by the next week in-game I had brought down at least 80 and I'm still finding them all over the place (I just delete them now using console commands because I'm so sick of them) and bringing them down didn't even do anything good because there were so many in the caves now it lagged me out every time I entered so I had to abandon the mines I was working on since the start of my world

maybe they just shouldn't breed on the surface or (if this is actually what's happening, I wouldn't even be surprised) go up to the surface on their own like bats do

I used to think rock lobsters were amazing and now I just see them as pests and I avoid them like the plague even when just underground for a few minutes to gather material

but you can understand why

tumblr_mx5ecvcvtF1r5j6bwo1_1280.jpg

I agree something should definitely be done about the rock lobsters getting to the surface and infesting the worlds

I only brought 3 up with me and by the next week in-game I had brought down at least 80 and I'm still finding them all over the place (I just delete them now using console commands because I'm so sick of them) and bringing them down didn't even do anything good because there were so many in the caves now it lagged me out every time I entered so I had to abandon the mines I was working on since the start of my world

maybe they just shouldn't breed on the surface or (if this is actually what's happening, I wouldn't even be surprised) go up to the surface on their own like bats do

I used to think rock lobsters were amazing and now I just see them as pests and I avoid them like the plague even when just underground for a few minutes to gather material

but you can understand why

tumblr_mx5ecvcvtF1r5j6bwo1_1280.jpg

Seems like you got it worse then I... try doing what I did. If you can't beat em', IMPRISON em'! The way you do that is to find out there surface spawn points, then cage the area (areas) with stone walls (stone just in case of fire accidents) that are tight enough just so they can't escape, but you can. If you find ones that escaped, then kill it! Another trick is to isolate them in an island that requires a wormhole to enter through, but I noticed that such islands only exist in medium-sized islands. Remember though, you can still cage them! Good luck, CowlRaven!

I agree so much with the ideas of cap population of rock lobster, or lower speed reproducing, or easier to kiill them with deleting "defensiv mode" by one condition.

The multiples rocky lobters are reproducing so fast that i needed to make a wall to keep them in large area (they was already too much)

BUT i can find few of them outside (the wall is impassable : made by rock wall spaced from 1 to each others) and they continue to reproduce.... so i need to bring them inside their prison but they continue to pop outside time to time.

A quick look of the inside prison : 0h4o.jpg (i didnt can take all the lobster in the screen cause their are now some that are far away from the others)

Second big problem is my enter of my main cave. Please take a look : v76g.jpg

The fact is that make my game lagging soooo much, i can't even get 1 FPS.. (Frame Per Second)

Im just confident because i know that they'r busy killing themselves and killing the 4 or 5 depth worms who always pop at the start of the cave. This is making the game unplayable and i need to go far away from them to have a better fps (i never had any FPS problem with dont starve earlier)

I Really hope to see a change for these lobsters, cause now with more than 490 days thats the ONLY thing i should always be focused on to survive (specially the lags they are making). Thats no fun and i guess thats not the original way they was supposed to be in the game.

PS : Sorry if my english is bad, this is not my motherlanguage :S

Hello,
i'm french, so: excuse my language and excuse my president :D

Yes, please fix it !!
Some lobsters follow me outside the hole. They were 3.
10 days later, they were 50.
10 days more and they were barely 100.

They destroy my world, it's horrible !
Killing beefalos, activating my toothtrap for the hounds, making this horrible tickling sound !

One day, I decide to feed'em all, to lead them back in the hole.
It worked !!! no more lobster outside !
I check.
AAAANNND... 10 days later, i saw some baby lobster.
I lead them in the hole.
But... Every time, some others appears.
And 10 days later, it was like before i lead them in the hole : hundred idiots lobsters derping around and killing all my beef.

Whatever you do ! please, fix it ! don't make them follow us outside the hole or appears outside.

Thanks for reading ;)

This is not very good... Ummm might be worth posting this in the bug forums as an actual problem. I remember when there was an issue with BEE population control THAT got way way out of hand... 

@Kevin or @JoeW might want to make rock lobsters kill each other when they get to a certain number or something? 

This issue is on the list of issues to check into. 

Right now they are in DLC dev mode, so they aren't working directly on fixing bugs at the moment. But once we get back into maintenance mode, they will be going through the list of issues that need to be addressed. 

These creatures make me crazy !
I have survived 800 days, and one of them follow me out of the caves, and they have grown 20.
I am sure that I have killed all of them (takes me one year), but now they are 5, once again. They born from nowhere !

This game is not funny this way anymore !

Please HELP !!!

OK, so, first off, @hotmatrixx uploaded it on steam already... And he done that with my permission... And you have not, so...

You can leave it the workshop, but:

1. Put a link to the Klei's RockyFix mod download page

2. Mention me somewhere on the page (like "@DevilXD is an author of this mod", or something like that... )

Second off, my mod works like this:

Each Rock Lobster gets his own "age", when it is spawned in the world... That age is proportional to his scale... When he reach full scale (which takes about 8-10 DS days), he has 50% chance to turn into boulder or just disappear... You can even catch that 'turn-into-boulder' moment on the screen, if you are lucky enough...

So you can now explain to the people, how this mod works... Or you can just simply paste that text above in the mod description...

Archived