Don't Starve As DRM Free?

Hello, first time poster.

I tried the demo and thought it was nice and I would be looking to buy it but I noticed that (unless my Google-Fu is lacking) it is only going to be available for Chrome & Steam. I don't know about anyone else but I don't like the idea to play this game on CHROME nor to play it chained to Steam's DRM.

In short my question, which will effect if I buy it or not is are there any plans to release a DRM free version for those who want to play it but cannot stomach Steam?

• Like 1

Whats so bad about steam? Valve is a wonderful company as far as I see it. Also it was a little weird to play the beta on Chrome and I didn't think I would get used to it but after a while I didn't even notice I was playing it in the browser.

Whats so bad about steam?

The DRM and the bloatware that is Steam. it tends to be a resource hog and since the game is single player it makes little sense for me to play it on such a platform. If you like it then fine. I would just like to play the game free of it.

• Thanks 1

The DRM and the bloatware that is Steam. it tends to be a resource hog and since the game is single player it makes little sense for me to play it on such a platform. If you like it then fine. I would just like to play the game free of it.

you can turn of the steam features in game in the steam options.

you can turn of the steam features in game in the steam options.

While that is true, Steam is still hogging resources and sometimes causing lag spikes. This has gotten me killed more than I would have died in other games under normal circumstances. I use a Laptop and I can't just run out and buy a new, really powerful computer at the moment to compensate for it.

I appreciate the help none the less though.

• Like 1

Hey Noatok,

Welcome aboard. Thanks for the question.

So, the long and the short of it is that Don't Starve is updated very frequently and it is much easier for us to effectively distribute these updates through Chrome and Steam.

While, obviously there are other ways to go about it, this is the most effective and efficient way for us to go about it, right now.

That being said, a stand alone install is certainly not off the table. We just have to figure out the best way to go about it.

• Thanks 1

While that is true, Steam is still hogging resources and sometimes causing lag spikes. This has gotten me killed more than I would have died in other games under normal circumstances. I use a Laptop and I can't just run out and buy a new, really powerful computer at the moment to compensate for it.

I appreciate the help none the less though.

I generally don't put corrections out, but just on the off-chance you are not aware.

Steam, relitivily, uses a tiny amount of resources, to the point if steam is an issue, you will not have much luck playing this, or any game released in the past 10 years. If you feel strongly about not using steam, I would reccomend not using this argument, unless you want a /lot/ of accusations that you are just looking for easier ways to pirate, or that you are just an anti-steam bandwagoner. It might not happon here, but it will.

Also if you are getting lag spikes, that's not steam. When gaming steam disbales things such as downloads, so I'd be looking elsewhere. If it only happens when steam is up, then you've probably got something rather nasty, or if they are longer term your laptop is overheating causing throttling in the kind of games you play on steam.

Calling it bloatwere is also flat out incorrect. You also missed that chrome store is DRM.

Also, a peice of advice, if you like gaming, next time get a desktop. Laptops are nutorious for lacking power, being hard to upgrade and most importanly having grpahic drivers that don't play well with games. This applys even more so to Indie games, they don't usualy have the resources to get it working on intergrated (or worse Intel) graphics.

I generally don't put corrections out, but just on the off-chance you are not aware.

Steam, relitivily, uses a tiny amount of resources, to the point if steam is an issue, you will not have much luck playing this, or any game released in the past 10 years. If you feel strongly about not using steam, I would reccomend not using this argument, unless you want a /lot/ of accusations that you are just looking for easier ways to pirate, or that you are just an anti-steam bandwagoner. It might not happon here, but it will.

Also if you are getting lag spikes, that's not steam. When gaming steam disbales things such as downloads, so I'd be looking elsewhere. If it only happens when steam is up, then you've probably got something rather nasty, or if they are longer term your laptop is overheating causing throttling in the kind of games you play on steam.

Calling it bloatwere is also flat out incorrect. You also missed that chrome store is DRM.

Also, a peice of advice, if you like gaming, next time get a desktop. Laptops are nutorious for lacking power, being hard to upgrade and most importanly having grpahic drivers that don't play well with games. This applys even more so to Indie games, they don't usualy have the resources to get it working on intergrated (or worse Intel) graphics.

aww..cmon...dun flame the guy for not wanting steam...

• Like 1

I don't think OmegaJasam was flaming. He might be overly fond of Steam, but he made some good points. Thing is, they are both right :D

Let me draw the line here:

Steam DOES eat resources. Not like it used to do when it first started and sucked overall, but it does. Right now, without games running, downloading or chatting with friends, my Steam is eating 15MiB. That's half of what this single tab on Chrome is consuming right now, but if you aren't a "social gamer", having Steam running all day can be an unnecessary burden on any machine.

Don't Starve eats resources TOO. If you are aware of the resources Steam consumes and you find it relevant to your machines performance, Don't Starve will probably run way too laggy for you. Although the game has been being optimized now and then and it now runs more smoothly than before, Klei is still a small team, and if they start optimizing they stop adding new things. And if they stop adding new things the community will send red hounds their way.

I don't agree that "not wanting Steam" is because you want to pirate the games. Steams DRM isn't a particularly hard one to break. Heck, Don't Starve has already been cracked. Not long ago we had a forum member admit he had the cracked version and that he liked the game so much he wanted to buy it; and had some doubts about the purchase. All you need to play a pirate version of a Steam game is Google. That's not the issue here and I personally find it offensive.

But what I like about Steam, specially with beta games, is that they keep up to date without you even noticing it. It's great for games under development and it's great for post-launch patches. Also, everything about Steam is psychologically designed for you to buy games. From the simplicity of buying, to the social aspects of sharing with your friends, to the great discounts and exclusive bonuses. Going legit was never so easy (and cheap).

And I do agree that buying a gaming desktop would be the ultimate solution. But is not a solution, as much as a huge investment.

We can't all just buy a new computer anytime a new game comes out. But we can ask the devs if a more lightweight alternative will be developed. And that's perfectly fine.

On 3/12/2012 at 8:52 PM, Noatok said:

Hello, first time poster.

In short my question, which will effect if I buy it or not is are there any plans to release a DRM free version for those who want to play it but  without a waiting metter for start a alone game. im alone with caves,why i gona start a server if im ALONE!!!!