Thread for Theories on the Characters' Backstories!

Will

Am I the only who thinks Willow wasn't from a freaking orphanage?(That sounds a bit too common, and cliche IMO)

Fine.

Willow's a medieval dragon, and needs to find and kiss the chosen Merm to take her true form again.

You're welcome.

On Monday as the sky turned black

Willow's heart was an ardent pyre

The hands saw her destructive glee

And pulled in the nigher

On Tuesday whilst flexing in vain

Wolfgang devoured his meal

His muscles grew and the hands did too

And grabbed him with gusto and zeal

On Wendsday with a mind of woe

Wendy was at the grave

Calling upon spirits not know to life

The way the hands did pave

On Thursday lives a mind of delusion

Name, W X 7 8

I am an automatron his says

The hands did seal his fate

On Friday as the knowledge grew

Wickerbottom devoured the book

Coming across some ancient tone

The hands were ebbed and crooked

On Saturday a man with curse

Woodie the dominion tree man

Ending the lives of souless beings

The hands did all they can

On Sunday, ah c'est magnifique!

Wes, boy of non-normality

With his hands an invisible cage

The hands made that a reality

I always thought Abigail was killed off when the twins were transported to the DS world, and had something to do with her name not starting with "W". I think we underestimate just how important that is. It's unlikely that Abigail would accompany Wendy as a ghost if she wasn't transported as well.

You may be right. Think about it. Maxwell's real name is William. It starts with "W". But he changed it to Maxwell. "M" is "W" upside down. In the Don't Starve world all the characters are normal but Maxwell is, let's say, God. The opposite. It could be that every attempt to bring anybody else into that world would kill them. But Abigail stayed as a ghost following Wendy because they were twins and they couldn't be separated. Also as Shoggoth says, they could be conjoined twins which means they really were inseparable. It makes sense.

Anybody who entered the world without their name starting with "M" or "W" (which is the same letter upside down) would die.

Everybody who entered the world with their name starting with "M" would be like Maxwell (God, able to control the shadows).

Everybody who entered the world with their name starting with "W" would be normal and are the only ones that can free Maxwell from his shadowy chains.

My theory for how the survivors are chosen is that they all have an incredibly powerful desire for something that Maxwell can grant them, albeit in a rather twisted way (the only exceptions to this rule are those who end up in the world by accident, which are Wes and WX-78 in my headcanon). For example, Wendy wants her sister back, but Abigail is now a ghost; Wolfgang wants to be the strongest man in the world, but he must now constantly eat or else lose all of his strength; Wilson wants incredible scientific knowledge, but he can only have it once he's taken Maxwell's place.

I haven't thought much about why all of the survivors have names that start with W. Perhaps They have some sort of obsession with the letter. Maybe W is a symbol linked to some sort of dark magic that sustains Them or will otherwise provide Them with greater power (enough to escape the DS world and take over the real world?).

And here. I wrote a detailed Willow backstory because it's the one I've thought most about. Maybe I'll write backstories for the other characters later. Spoilered because it's big. :B

She discovered her love of fire at a young age. Not even she knows for certain what kindled that love; it could've been being entranced by the beauty of the warm and loving fireplace, or watching with a slightly morbid curiosity as her older brothers burned plants and ants through a magnifying glass. However it started, she continued to tend and grow this love until it (in the eyes of some) grew out of hand and those around her began to view her as a freak, destined to burn down a home or a forest or even the town they lived in.

She was teased by her schoolmates and brothers, and regarded as a danger by her teachers and other townsfolk. Her parents tried their hardest to convince her that fire was not something to love, that fire hurts more than it helps. She tried to listen and hide that love, if only to stop the teasing that never seemed to go away. She would've given anything to no longer be called a "danger" or a "freak". But her love was too great to hide away and it was nonetheless plain for all to see. Her teenage years were just as torturous as the ones before. Her parents were at their wits end, and they finally gave into the constant pressuring to send Willow to a mental institution for treatment. Willow was devastated at her parents' decision to send her away, but she knew that it was a long time coming; she had heard all of the things her parents were told to do with her, but desperately hoped they would never do them.

She swallowed her pride and tried to follow her new doctors' instructions. She took their medicines, tried their therapies, did everything she could for the next several years of her life. But the fire inside her could not be extinguished. Her caretakers insisted that once they found the right treatment her "illness" would go away forever, but all Willow wanted was to go home. She missed her bed and her teddy bear and her house and her old life, all teasing and insulting included. She couldn't stand to stay in that place anymore. Oh, how she wanted to see it burn to the ground.

And then one day, it did burn. But it wasn't Willow's doing. An incident in the kitchen had led to a fire, but no one who survived knew of it. As possible causes were discussed and dismissed, a certain girl with an unseemly love of fire was a rather obvious suspect. The authorities attempted to arrest her, and she fled. She hid within the basement of a nearby abandoned house, convinced that her life was over. Either she was going to be caught and convicted of a crime she didn't commit, or she was going to waste away in that dark and musty building. Why did things have to go this way? Why was the flame within her so great? Why couldn't she have just been born normal?

Then a voice from an old radio spoke to her, and in her desperation she listened. It said that it could promise her a life where she was no longer considered a freak, where she would be accepted for who she is. Willow could have that life, if only she did one small thing in return: build a mysterious device, the schematics for which instantly appeared in her mind and overtook her thoughts the moment she said "yes". She was filled with an all-consuming desire to build this machine, and she stripped materials from the house to build it with. It took her two days of constant work with no food or water or sleep to complete it, and she felt a great weight leave her body once the deed was done. The voice told her to pull the lever, and she did so without hesitation.

The next thing she knew, she was lying in a field with nothing but a tall, unsettling man in a rather dapper suit to greet her.

I only have one... well, it's not so much a theory as an observation, and that's that all assistants are female. Charlie is, Abigail is, Lucy is, and Webber's head... okay, I know it's identified as male, but I don't place any value in that because male is the not-a-single-thought-was-given default identifier every creature gets whether it makes sense or not unless they're very extremely explicitly female, like a spider "queen" (seriously, if there's something I want to see updated more than summer and sleeping). If DS spiders are anything like ants or bees, then none of the ones we get to fight are male.

So, I imagine there's a connection. Could start with Charlie (Maxwell's doing), could start with something way before Charlie (Them's doing).

Otherwise, Wigfrid got abducted when performing/practicing on the same stage Maxwell and Charlie were abducted from years before (and in-between had been abandoned) due to residual nightmare energy.

Archived