explanations of the good the bad and the ugly of the Don't Starve world [Field note styled]

well was not expecting that when I woke up this morning!

EDIT: I will make another write up after i have done my work, (psychology stuff if you really want to know)

pheew between my psychology work and the puzzle thread that took a while =P expect a new write up shortly

Edited by Craig_Perry

Pigmen

well as their name suggests they are some sort of advanced bipedal pig, they are neutral toward me but I can easily win them over with a bit of meat.

They even seem to have been able to make houses and basic clothes using their hoof like hands which is quite surprising, I wouldn't have been able to predict that in a million years!

Some of their behaviour is similar to that of the Merms I analysed previously, including their fighting style which is a simple yet effective

"hit run then hit again and repeat"

They have quite the voracious appetite eating anything from seeds and petals to monstrous meat.

They are very good protectors too, hanging around them for the past few days seems to have helped me alot. Although they seem to get into the same fights over and over, most notably with Spiders and Merms, since they cannot destroy the structures from whence they appear the fight never ends without my interference.

these pigs also have developed basic agriculture, planting carrots, berries and grass I bet if they wanted to learn I could help them advance, but I'd better not don't want to upset the ecosystem before I have studied it fully at least!

In conclusion;

these are very kind creatures, while a bit standoffish they can prove to be essential allies and by the simple act of feeding them meat they would give their lives to defend you, and who said dogs were loyal! but I digress. I would have to argue these are the most advanced and civillised creatures I have come across so far.

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 2

I will judge you upon your report on Beefalo and Rock Lobsters. Know that. 

alright, Im going to need to observe rock lobsters anyway since i don't cave often (except for earthquakes)

beefalo I can do, but it could prove to be an interesting write up

although the next one I have planned, which is werepigs

Werepigs

well this was an interesting find to say the least...

as I stated previously I had been staying by Pigmen, well the seem to have some variant of the mythical "Lycanthropy" making them respond to the lunar cycles in a negative way. For me at least

These pigs are incredibly aggressive hit harder and faster but are not anywhere near as intelligent since they no longer fight by dodging they just maul at you relentlessly.

Their appetite is even more insatiable than before eating anything and everything in their path and killing anything in their path as well

I managed to find one way to utilise them, that being to kill everything else thats undesirable

another few notes to add;

the transformation can also be triggered by feeding pigmen monster meat, possibly due to a digestive defect simulating the lunar cycle

the effect wears off at dawn, no matter how they were turned, by meat or by night.

if pigmen return to their homes before nightfall their turned selves do not leave the home

They also go under lots of interesting physiological changes too

- their skin goes a dark brown

- they grow fur

- their teeth enlarge

- their arms extend slightly

- their hands hoof like extremities become claw like

all of these combine to make a deadly foe if they catch you unawares

in conclusion;

do not stay in a pig village when it is near a full moon as it can have disastrous consequences and if they do end up chasing you down try getting them distracted. Their affliction is very interesting and I wish I had the tools to study it further

The Pig King

this rather large fellow is an impressive specimen indeed

the pigmen built their village with the pig king in the very centre of it, they also built some rather mystical obelisks around him

the pig king has a love for trivial trinkets and all that is meaty, trading gold with you if you bring them to him. His supply of gold seems limitless, I've no idea where it could all be kept either...

This specimen is motionless, docile and has a large appetite to match his size!

the pigs don't actively bow down to him, but being at the centre of the village and being able to lead such a sedentary life are the main reasons I assume that this is the King of the pigmen, that and since there is only one on this godforsaken rock...

This specimen also doesn't exhibit the "were" attribute the regular pigmen do this may even tie in to why this one is revered more than the others

In conclusion

a very interesting creature, that leads without any effort... worshipped almost. They can prove very handy for any gravediggers on the island which there probably aren't but I digress, since the gold on this island is a good tool making material a pig king is mighty handy 

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 2