Six Feet Under Release Notes (Steam - October 1st)

Undocumented (and unwelcome) change, which might be a bug:

• Opening at the map with <tab> drops any item you are carrying.

I never realized how often I do this until this last patch broke it. I'm just waiting until I drop my log suit into a fire and burn down a forest.

Xbox controller testing. My impressions and proposal for improvements.

I'm done testing the xbox controller with the default configurations. The first thing that jumps at me is with the tooltips. Every item in your inventory can be dropped with down and inspected with up. It is unnecessary to display that information in the tooltip at all times once you have learned these buttons.  When you walk up to an object in the game world you are again presented with redundant information. Every object can be inspected with Y and every objected can be attacked with X.

I propose that there should be three selectable configurations for the tooltips. The first would be the tooltips as they are coded now. This configuration is great as a tutorial for how to use the buttons as well as good for anyone that has problems remembering what buttons do. The second configuration would be a compact mode. Remove the displays for up and down on the d-pad as well as X and Y buttons. That leaves only the information that actually changes between game objects, eliminating the redundancy of the current tooltip system. The finally configuration would be all tooltips off for people like myself that already know what all the possible interactions are. 

Next I would like to address the targeting highlighting. I like the fact that while you are highlighting an object in the world such as twigs and a mob is also near you the attack button is displayed on the mob. Your priority system for object interaction is spot on in this regard. Now, with what I had stated in the above paragraph, I believe the attack tooltip should be removed and in its place should be a red highlight to show attackable mob selection.

Finally, I would like to address inventory control. As it stands, using the right stick to move left and right along the bar is cumbersome. Quick, accurate selection of an item on the opposite side of the toolbar from your cursor is neigh impossible without having to hit the inventory button. Also the cursor gets trapped at the far left and the far right sides of the inventory. Continuing to press the stick in that direction does not cause the cursor to jump to the other side of the inventory as I would expect it to do.

My proposal to streamline the inventory selection is to first, and most importantly, allow the cursor to jump to the other side of the inventory when you continue to press one direction or the other. The cursor should not get stuck at either side. My ideas for quickly selecting inventory slots is a little more complicated. There are 15 slots broken down into three groups of five. Holding the bumper buttons while using the thumbstick's directions and click can cover all 15 of these slots. So, while left bumper is held and up is pressed on the thumbstick you would select the very first slot. Down would be the second, left the third, right the fourth, and click the fifth. The right bumper would be for the five slots on the right side of the inventory, and holding both bumpers would allow selection for the middle five slots. The tumbstick's use while no bumper is held would be screen rotation and zooming the view. All functionality while in the inventory screen (as accessed with the inventory button) would remain the same. 

That's all I have for now. Feel free to implimatate all or some of my ideas as you see fit. I only ask that if you use the bumper/stick idea that my name is credited somewhere, anywhere, even complacently hidden in the code commented out with the words "biggest douchbag ever" preceding it. If there are any questions you have about any of the above ideas, would like further explanations, just let me know.

Oh! Last thing, even if the bumper/stick idea is not implemented, I will be working on an autohotkey script over the weekend to emulate the functionality. If I ever get around to learning some Lua, I'll make a mod instead.

It's a pretty cool, new update, it would be awesome if we all would get to see the backstory's of every Don't Starve character as well, I have a headcanon/storyline, and it will probably be ruined, but I could be able to make my story even much more better with it as well...

I mean, we have seen Wilson's backstory for a big part, now it would be great if we would get to see Willow's, Wendy's, Wolfgang's, Maxwell's and that of all the other playable characters as well... :-)

The newest update of 6 feet under is awesome... Even though I never gett deeper then the nightmare cave so far. I won Maxwell in adventure mode, but a very hatefull glitch came after that. One week later I wanted to restart the game again and Steam told me they couldn't find the files, I could choice between two options, clicked the upper one and soon after my save with Maxwell was gone, my save of 100 days had fallen 6 days back, etc. =/

It would be nice if the last characters would be added as well by the newest updates, it doesn't has to happen, but could be awesome, maybe it would be nice as well, if Charlie (Charlene) became playable. :grin:

Succes Klei~!

It's very important to Bug Report this (and I highly recommend using the template there) in the Bug Report location/link provided. Respectfully, complaining here will not fix it, besides venting of course. 

Who's complaining?  (I assume you mean me since you quoted me) Besides, what I consider an unfair death may not be a bug at all, but a game design I don't agree with.  And my solution is to backup my saves so I don't have to come here and complain.

Good detailed post though.  I thought of putting the save game info in my sig, I answered it enough, and even had it in several stickies.

• Developer

Here's an explanation of what's happening with the Standalone versions, Chrome version and the Linux version of steam:

First of all, sorry for the delay. There was a crash issue that prevented us from deploying the release for these platforms. By the time the crash issue was fixed, a couple users on the versions that were released had reported an extremely rare, but very critical bug that caused them to lose their saved files.

We feel that your saved games -- and all the time and effort you've put into them -- are very valuable and we want to make sure that we're not trashing irrecoverable files!

We're looking into this issue right now, but we have decided to further hold off on releasing the update for these platforms until we are confident you won't lose your data.

A fix for a few separate issues is coming to the Mac and Windows versions that have been released.

oh well I installed windows version of steam (wine ftw)

also those 1% is only people that does the hardware survey. I myself have never seen it.

I play on Ubuntu 13.04 and on my Laptop Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, for sure without wine.

Thanks a lot, I will try this with my backup files.

Except for that, Dear KLEI Team,
even with the latest upgrade there a still some bugs, like items/plant above the water - check the screenshots.
1. http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/dsnlkf805quo.jpg
2. http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/ds2gheoydakvq.jpg

Also the "spot light" that usually shins at the player when entering a cave, is still there at the surface when leaving the cave at night (sorry, for not having a screenshot right now).

I´m sure you might have a tread for bug-reporting, but since there is a new patch out for 3-4 days, you might be interested in (months old, still not fixed) bugs.

Sorry if I use the wrong tread, but with the newest update, 2 new bugs also appeared.

- when changing the world (with the 4 peaces teleporter), the new world will be counted at the third.
for example, starting a new game (world 1), changing the world via teleporter you will enter world 3, change now again, you will be in   world 5

- when changing a world, you will always enter it at night time, even if you left the world before at a bright sunny day.

Sorry if I use the wrong tread, but with the newest update, 2 new bugs also appeared.

- when changing the world (with the 4 peaces teleporter), the new world will be counted at the third.

for example, starting a new game (world 1), changing the world via teleporter you will enter world 3, change now again, you will be in   world 5

- when changing a world, you will always enter it at night time, even if you left the world before at a bright sunny day.

Definitely Bug report that, as it's not a common thing. 

Waiting when the standalone will update to see if the dying causes some items to float still (same thing when pig king gets gold stuck above him) still. 

So i guess that update for standalone version,is going to be released when everything is sorted out with steam version (i.e bugs ..) ?But this time it is taking way longer then it was before why is that (its 5 Oct and i am still on 85163 and for the first time i am regretting for having DRM free version and not steam ...)

To preface this, everything I say in this post is out of concern for game. I wish to see Don't Starve prosper in it's completed form as a work of gaming art.

I wanted to add something here about the Xbox controller interface. I personally feel a break from immersion having all these xbox buttons floating around my screen. Night time was once a battle of the dark against enemies you can barely see in the firelight. Now they are lit up with a glowing outline and easy to spot. Big blue buttons were chasing me while I play. I don't like being constantly reminded that I am playing a game. The current tooltip design in keyboard and mouse mode is perfect the way it is, use that for the Xbox. The button display now has a feeling of "hand-holding" the player, which seems a very unlike Klei thing to do. IMHO; the Xbox interface feels like it was made for kids.

I think the integrity of the idea that this game is a "uncompromising survival game" is at stake with the current setup. See, the whole point of this game was to be hard (period)   The game has lost a lot of what made it hard with this interface.

Get back to the drawing boards guys, please? Something less invasive would be greatly appreciated. Try to make it feel like playing on the computer when playing with a Xbox controller. Please and :wickerbottomthanks:

Can I ask why anyone would even want to use a 360 controller when they have a perfectly good keyboard and mouse?  I, too, have a 360 controller but playing a game like DS with it is like playing with your feet.

Game machines are a different story, but using a game controller on a PC just adds needless complexity.

Can I ask why anyone would even want to use a 360 controller when they have a perfectly good keyboard and mouse?  I, too, have a 360 controller but playing a game like DS with it is like playing with your feet.

Game machines are a different story, but using a game controller on a PC just adds needless complexity.

I can use it rarely if I want to lay down int he bed chilling while gaming :p

Just bringing this up too. It's the night of 7th October and my Windows standalone is still at version 85163.

Just a re-reminder why.

Here's an explanation of what's happening with the Standalone versions, Chrome version and the Linux version of steam:

First of all, sorry for the delay. There was a crash issue that prevented us from deploying the release for these platforms. By the time the crash issue was fixed, a couple users on the versions that were released had reported an extremely rare, but very critical bug that caused them to lose their saved files.

We feel that your saved games -- and all the time and effort you've put into them -- are very valuable and we want to make sure that we're not trashing irrecoverable files!

We're looking into this issue right now, but we have decided to further hold off on releasing the update for these platforms until we are confident you won't lose your data.

A fix for a few separate issues is coming to the Mac and Windows versions that have been released.

And I just got the standalone update. The Klei updater updated as well. 

Alas, before the update the game went amazingly laggy and crashed once. I'll bug report it if it continues under Six Feet under. 

Thank you for preserving our saves though Klei. 

Edit:

Now it seems to crash after running the updater. 

it's small enough that I can post the Log text below: 

Starting up
Don't Starve: 85163 WIN32
Build Date: 2013-09-16_16-46-23
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (5560)
HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()
cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
WindowManager::Initialize
WindowManager::SetFullscreen(0, 1280, 1024, 60)
GLInfo
~~~~~~
GL_VENDOR: Google Inc.
GL_RENDERER: ANGLE (Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset)
GL_VERSION: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 1.0.0.2249)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00 (ANGLE 1.0.0.2249)
OpenGL extensions (17, 17):
GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit
GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays
GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order
GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3
GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5
GL_ANGLE_texture_usage
GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source
GL_EXT_read_format_bgra
GL_EXT_robustness
GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1
GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888
GL_EXT_texture_storage
GL_OES_get_program_binary
GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil
GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8
GL_OES_standard_derivatives
GL_OES_texture_npot
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 4096
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS = 16
GL_MAX_RENDERBUFFER_SIZE = 4096
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS = 4096, 4096
GL_MAX_VARYING_VECTORS = 10
GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS = 16
GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_VECTORS = 254
GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS = 0
GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_VECTORS = 221
4 compressed texture formats
texture format 0x83f0
texture format 0x83f1
texture format 0x83f2
texture format 0x83f3
THREAD - started 'WindowsInputManager' (7360)
cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()
cGame::StartPlaying
LOADING LUA
DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
scripts/main.lua(144,1) running main.lua

scripts/modindex.lua(274,1) loaded modindex
C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua:26: bad argument #3 to 'RegisterPrefab' (boolean expected, got no value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'RegisterPrefab'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(26,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(43,1) in function 'LoadPrefabFile'
        scripts/main.lua(213,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'
        scripts/main.lua(251,1) in function 'callback'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/modindex.lua(55,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/modindex.lua(45,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(250,1) in function 'callback'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/modindex.lua(285,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        C:/DONTST~1/data/scripts/modindex.lua(265,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(249,1) in main chunk
scripts/mainfunctions.lua(699,1) Error error! We tried displaying an error but TheFrontEnd isn't ready yet...
LOADING LUA SUCCESS

And why not, the Updater log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 512, in OnUpdateComplete
NameError: global name 'ShowError' is not defined

Edit 2:

I posted my bug report here, and noticed another user's as well there

Edit 3, (final: )

I was forced to do a computer image backup and subsequent clean re-install of the game (with backed up save files later restored.) Game no longer stutters or lags and launches with no issue (and is the SFU update.) 

Thanks for this wonderfull game,

thanks for this and all the other updates!

You do a nice work and I know that you have the skills to carry on this wonderful game for a long long time!

I am happy with all the new features!

Trade with sleeping piggs or not, I trust you, you will do it perfectly, that shows me the whole game!

THANKS!

I have bought and playing Don't Starve for some time now and the game it's really interesting and the amazing effort put into the game since new awesome content to mod and controller support.

I don't regret buying the game, feels great to give my contribuition for the project and watch it grow, how Klei and Don't Starve team find ways of keeping us entertained with this great artistic video game.

Thank you all, the modding community and Klei for really make such an interesting and entertaining piece of work.

so.. im wondering, no more caves regen, thats really cool but.. all that non renewable sources its too big of a change... fireflies, horns, rocks are now really hard to get too, etc...

Will there be a change or rebalance for some creatures at least ? like respawning fireflies or respawning ancient guardian?

and another little question, ll be that massive "lag" be fixed someday? a lot of us have high end computers or at least really good ones, and still have like 5 frames or even less sometimes, usually in winter.

I have to say im happy with the update this time, lots of other bugs seem to be fixed :-). Sadly we lost a lot of good players cos of the save bug.

Archived