Halloween Mod Challenge

Cheerio

Could be a great showcase if we don't get the usual stick-figure crayola-crayon toons someone threw together in 10 minutes.

Those don't have much to showcase anyways, unless they copy-paste a character item or ability from an in-game character or a better mod, so i wouldn't expect too many character mods to be entered.

(Slowly shoves quotes for Waverly into a drawer)

hm, if only the modders would get the help of some of the great artists on this forum, that could really produce some worthwhile content. Good ideas must be out there somewhere but without any artistic talent it would be hard to produce anything out of your thoughts like artists do.

It is a shame - and still quite a shock, to me - that more of the artists aren't interested in mods.

I've put together a few tutorials aimed mostly at artists and beginners, in the hopes that a few would jump ship and get modding, but alas... 'tis still a rare minority.

(Which is kind of funny, since at my old college, the game students had at least a good 5:1 Artists:Coders ratio. |D)

hm, if only the modders would get the help of some of the great artists on this forum, that could really produce some worthwhile content. Good ideas must be out there somewhere but without any artistic talent it would be hard to produce anything out of your thoughts like artists do.

Ideas are a dime a dozen.  As it is, it takes a whole team to get a decent mod built, and I don't see this changing anytime soon.  And, there seems to only be about one or two programmers capable of making anything beyond a tweak to existing mechanics.

I think the comparison to MineCraft modding is inevitable.  Will modding for DS have the longevity that MC does?  That may have a lot to do with whether we see 'big boy' mods or not.  Things along the lines of BuildCraft and Aether for MC that actually give you new things to do and new reasons to do them, not just a myriad of new stick-figure copy/paste characters.

I think the comparison to MineCraft modding is inevitable. Will modding for DS have the longevity that MC does? That may have a lot to do with whether we see 'big boy' mods or not. Things along the lines of BuildCraft and Aether for MC that actually give you new things to do and new reasons to do them, not just a myriad of new stick-figure copy/paste characters.

I think DS modding is more comparable to skyrim modding in terms of mod types and the effort that gets put into them.

Raining cheese, anyone?

SOMEONE MAKE THAT INTO A MOD RIGHT NOW PLS.

I concur, but first cheese would have to be added and a new weather type...

wait its possible with a heavily tweaked frog-rain and a new prefab

(I hate myself sometimes i understand modding an alright amount but I can't actually do it.. gah so frustrating)

Ideas are a dime a dozen.  As it is, it takes a whole team to get a decent mod built, and I don't see this changing anytime soon.  And, there seems to only be about one or two programmers capable of making anything beyond a tweak to existing mechanics.

How do you define a "tweak to existing mechanics"? 'cause as far as I can see we have either a lot of stuff that goes beyond "tweaks" or none. And there are definately two modders on this forum who surpass everyone else, but still a dozen of other people who can do decent and new stuff. In that regard I think your view on this community is a bit pessimistic.

nice contest idea

i'm working with afro1967 (wilson's house moder) on a mod for halloween

i just knew about the challenge like 2 days ago

we are a bit in late just have 13 days to finish it.

but should be ok

It is a shame - and still quite a shock, to me - that more of the artists aren't interested in mods.

I've put together a few tutorials aimed mostly at artists and beginners, in the hopes that a few would jump ship and get modding, but alas... 'tis still a rare minority.

(Which is kind of funny, since at my old college, the game students had at least a good 5:1 Artists:Coders ratio. |D)

i'm a kind of artist and want to tell you thx, some of your  tutorial helped me ;)

(exept for the spriter tutoial the image quality dont rly allow to read on screen)

DS is like a ******* sand box for moder/artist long life to ds and his comunity

Archived