Getting Started: Guides, Tutorials And Examples

Cheerio

If I may, I suggest adding this tutorial: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26852-tutorial-converting-textures-tex-dxt5-d2/

I found it very helpful, and after browsing the names of the other tutorials I'm not sure there's one that covers this, though I may be wrong. There is also this tutorial on worldgen: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/48070-how-to-even-in-to-worldgen/#entry595239 , if you think it would be a good addition to the list here.

I am trying to make a character mod, and i want my character to breath fire. The only problem is i have no idea how I can probably make it shoot out like the red staff but again i don't know how... Can anyone help me?

Thanks for this, can you tell me in which guide can I learn more about structures?, I want to make more structures and modify some existing structures

Edited by Rily

Thanks for this, can you tell me in which guide can I learn more about structures?, I want to make more structures and modify some existing structures

Structures are Prefabs. If you need more help on that matter, here's a page on the unofficial API docs.

You can edit existing prefabs by having a file of the same name in your mod, or using Post Init Functions.

EDIT: Please make a new topic if you have more specific issues.

Edited by Mobbstar
  • Like 1

Excuse me, but why the link to first guide of custom characters don't work? it redirect to this topic again, this is the link:

And the Official spriteer tutorials are broken too, 404!

Because Cheerio (or whoever added that link) messed up really badly. I'm suprised it shows a page at all. Here's the real link.

I recommend Dana Adams video tutorial for spriter, it covers all points important for DS.

Edited by Mobbstar
  • Like 1

Because Cheerio (or whoever added that link) messed up really badly. I'm suprised it shows a page at all. Here's the real link.

I recommend Dana Adams video tutorial for spriter, it covers all points important for DS.

Thanks, but Dana Adams tutorial is all a video, thats good, but the low quality audio gives me more trouble understanding English, anyway, I will try

I've been working on Lua for a few days. I understand the basics at this point, but I'm struggling to deal with the dot syntax that is all over the place. There are a ton of references to "self" and "inst" that I'm not grabbing for some reason and I feel like this is what is in my way right now. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but if someone could point me to a resource that will help me understand this a little more I would be eternally grateful. 

I feel certain that I'm somehow making this harder than it has to be, and I'm going to take a day or two to step away from this and come back at it later. Any help you can give me in understanding the structure of this game or how to back track this dot syntax to what a statement really means would be welcome.

I have one misunderstanding with API. Are there some objects which are useable only on server side and don't work when client try to modify them?

I wanted to modify a function for hammer for my character to speak something after every hit, and wrote this code:

function OWN()
   print("start")
   GLOBAL.ACTIONS.HAMMER.fn = <...>
   print("end")
end
GLOBAL.OWN = OWN

Then I connected to the game, opened console, typed "OWN();" and tried to hammer some structure, but nothing happened. Could anyone tell me why? Can't I change this action with a client mode?

hello cheerio,

I'm new to the whole modding thing and i'd like to create a character like ruby rose from don't starve together she is already a mod but i want her to be the base character but like a different name weapons and starting items. I don't know where to start and i'd like it to be compatible with the new ship wrecked please. 

can you help me?

Thanks

Tillykitty

I followed the Creature Tutorial up to #3. 

The .zip in tutorial's anim folder contains these files: 
anim.bin
atlas-0.tex
build.bin

But, the .zip compiled in my anim folder contains these files:
animation.xml
build.xml
+ a .png for every image I put together to make my original Spriter file.

My mod won't work. Is this why? How do I get the right files to put in the anim folder? 

Thanks