Getting Started: Guides, Tutorials And Examples

Cheerio

• Developer

Getting Started:  Guides, Tutorials and Examples

So you want to create a mod for Don't Starve.  That's awesome!  Hopefully this collection of guides, tutorials and examples will help you on your quest.  Just remember that modding is all about getting your hands dirty.  Oftentimes you will have to figure out things for yourself.  So dive in, give it a go and when get stuck, the forums are your friend.  But most of all, make sure to have fun and please share your creations with the rest of us!

Getting Started:

Art:Creatures:Scripting:Sharing your Mod:Sound:Translation:Misc:
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the tutorials, it's helped me and a lot of other people out, one thing I've been trying to do though to to have a custom work music track and a danger track to work properly in a character mod... (Also I hope this is an okay thread to post this, sorry if it isn't)

When I get it right (ish) then what happens is the custom work track plays as soon as you start the game and it doesn't stop when in danger (the custom danger track works with the ques although it doesn't fade in/out) or death.

It'd be really nice to have work music to come in when cutting trees or making a new invention or mining rocks, I've tried a few different things, currently I've got a components folder containing a edited dynamicmusic.lua file inside the prefabs folder, referencing my custom tracks when it's assigning the music to "busy" and "danger", like it is literally just dynamicmusic.lua with the file pathes changed. I don't see why the files won't play the way they're meant to when it's been changed and uses the same code...

• Developer

Thanks for all the tutorials, it's helped me and a lot of other people out, one thing I've been trying to do though to to have a custom work music track and a danger track to work properly in a character mod... (Also I hope this is an okay thread to post this, sorry if it isn't)

When I get it right (ish) then what happens is the custom work track plays as soon as you start the game and it doesn't stop when in danger (the custom danger track works with the ques although it doesn't fade in/out) or death.

It'd be really nice to have work music to come in when cutting trees or making a new invention or mining rocks, I've tried a few different things, currently I've got a components folder containing a edited dynamicmusic.lua file inside the prefabs folder, referencing my custom tracks when it's assigning the music to "busy" and "danger", like it is literally just dynamicmusic.lua with the file pathes changed. I don't see why the files won't play the way they're meant to when it's been changed and uses the same code...

It sounds like that should work fine.  Would you be ok with uploading your mod for me to take a look?

It sounds like that should work fine.  Would you be ok with uploading your mod for me to take a look?

Yeah sure, I'd love that, I've PM'd you the link, thanks for much for being friendly and helpful to us modders C:

EDIT: Okai PMing doesn't seem to work with you :T

Please excuse the left over art of The Batter mod, it's still in development :U

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285727/Drawings/mods/phillip.zip

The character is meant to look the way he is, the game he's from is incredibly trippy and weird (full credit to him and I'm going to link him the Steam Workshop page when it's done). Thanks much c:

Edited by StormyRange

• Developer

Yeah sure, I'd love that, I've PM'd you the link, thanks for much for being friendly and helpful to us modders C:

EDIT: Okai PMing doesn't seem to work with you :T

Please excuse the left over art of The Batter mod, it's still in development :U

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285727/Drawings/mods/phillip.zip

The character is meant to look the way he is, the game he's from is incredibly trippy and weird (full credit to him and I'm going to link him the Steam Workshop page when it's done). Thanks much c:

That music is awesome :).  Do you think you could give me your fmod project as well so I can see how that's setup?  That's the fdp file you open in FMOD designer.

That music is awesome :-).  Do you think you could give me your fmod project as well so I can see how that's setup?  That's the fdp file you open in FMOD designer.

Hah yeah the game has some amazing music :V

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285727/Drawings/mods/sfphil.fdp

There's my fdp c:

Also Space Funeral is here if you ever get interested, it's like an hour of gameplay but it's worth every second c:

• Developer

Hah yeah the game has some amazing music :V

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285727/Drawings/mods/sfphil.fdp

There's my fdp c:

Also Space Funeral is here if you ever get interested, it's like an hour of gameplay but it's worth every second c:

Ok so I think it has something to do with those music tracks being complex fmod events driven by in game parameters.  In short, I'll need to figure out exactly what's going on once I get back to the office next week.  Sorry about the trouble, I'll let you know once I've figured out what's going on.

Ok so I think it has something to do with those music tracks being complex fmod events driven by in game parameters.  In short, I'll need to figure out exactly what's going on once I get back to the office next week.  Sorry about the trouble, I'll let you know once I've figured out what's going on.

Hmm okay, I'm glad I asked otherwise I'd still be messing around with it without hope of fixing it. Thanks for looking into it and yeah, take as long as you need :3

• Developer

Hmm okay, I'm glad I asked otherwise I'd still be messing around with it without hope of fixing it. Thanks for looking into it and yeah, take as long as you need :3

So the work music functions slightly differently and there's also no tutorial which covers it.  However I've setup an fmod project which should help you get what you want.  Basically, the work songs are started as soon as the game starts and then the volume(intensity) is adjusted dynamically as things happen in the game.

All you need to do is open the attached fmod project, right click on the sound events and click replace sound and then add your sound as you would before.  Also I replaced your changes to dynamicmusic.lua with a couple of extra calls to remapsoundevent which should reduce the changes of your mod breaking with future updates.  

Let me know how this works out for you!

phillip.zip

So the work music functions slightly differently and there's also no tutorial which covers it.  However I've setup an fmod project which should help you get what you want.  Basically, the work songs are started as soon as the game starts and then the volume(intensity) is adjusted dynamically as things happen in the game.

All you need to do is open the attached fmod project, right click on the sound events and click replace sound and then add your sound as you would before.  Also I replaced your changes to dynamicmusic.lua with a couple of extra calls to remapsoundevent which should reduce the changes of your mod breaking with future updates.  

Let me know how this works out for you!

Wow thanks, well it works... I ran into a few kinks but I managed to smooth it out; I had originally used your change of the work things in Fmod for the danger ones too but that messed it up so I used Danger stuff as I had before, AKA normal event stuff like SFX, while this means it doesn't fade out and doesn't turn off on death, it at least lets itself, the work music, and the custom SFX to work together and that's good enough for me.

Thank you very much Cheerio, you've done it again c:

Going to have to ask for some help with this one.  I suck at forums :-).

It seems to be a forum-wide problem since the forum upgrade. Sometimes posts just lose all/some of their formatting. It's especially true of code blocks. For example, this thread condensed all the code blocks to single lines at some point.

You can't reply to threads that have not been posted in for over 30 days to avoid necro posting. I replied, that should allow you to post. 

And the code blocks, unfortunately after the move, I had some issues here and there that required some reregistering of posts, and it kinda wonked out the formatting, on just about everything. (@tehMugwump has been super awesome about reformatting them when it comes to his attention that it's something people are using) Most recently, a couple weeks ago when I fixed up the syntax highlighting for code, it put all the old stuff into single lines. 

I don't anticipate anything else messing with the formatting from this point out. 

Sorry for the trouble,