[Tutorial] Adding Custom Sound To Your Custom Character

Malacath

I have a question.

RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wad/death_voice", "wad/characters/wade/death_voice" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wad/hurt", "wad/characters/wade/hurt" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wad/talk_LP", "wad/characters/wade/talk_LP" )

What is the exact placement of each name. For instance my character's name is Wade but in the files everything is wad.xml, wad.lua, etc.

So should it be changed to something like this?

RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wade/death_voice", "wad/characters/wade/death_voice" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wade/hurt", "wad/characters/wade/hurt" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/wade/talk_LP", "wad/characters/wade/talk_LP" )

And in the wade.lua, should it be

inst.soundsname = "wad"

or

inst.soundsname = "wade"

?

I received the same issues, I went through the tutorial and my custom character was just silent. So, I deleted everything except for the sound files and started over. However, I received this error message each time I opened waverly.fdp so I'm not sure if maybe that's where I'm running into a problem?

error.png

Edit: So, I started over completely using the original old tutorial where I make the file myself and ran into the same problem. So, then I thought well maybe something is wrong with my MP3 files, wrong sampling or something silly. I then replaced my files with the ones you provided for waverly, went in and rebuilt the bank and still had the same issue. He's just silent in game.

how would i set an onEnterEvent that would play a sound and or string upon getting withing a certain proximity of a specific monster. for ie:

if char_prox >= 10 then

inst.SoundEmitter:KillSound("blah")

inst.String("someString")

Ugh, I'm ready to pull my hair out!!! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. What's insane is that I don't change anything with the graphics and when I load my game, the character selection screen shows wilson now and has a blank save slot.................. So this is what I'm working with right now... My character's name is Felix the Cat but he's always referred to in code and name filing as ftc. Maybe I'm running into an issue with the naming? He always ends up being silent in the game.

In my modmain.lua I have this at the bottom.

Assets = {    Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/ftc.fev"),    Asset("SOUND", "sound/ftc.fsb"),} RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/ftc/death_voice", "ftc/characters/ftc/death_voice" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/ftc/hurt", "ftc/characters/ftc/hurt" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/ftc/talk_LP", "ftc/characters/ftc/talk_LP" )

Inside my prefab file ftc.lua I have this. I tried changing the sound wilson.fsb to ftc.fsb and that didn't seem to make a difference.

local assets = {        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_basic.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles_shiver.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_axe.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_pickaxe.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_shovel.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_blowdart.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_eat.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_item.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_uniqueitem.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_bugnet.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_fishing.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_boomerang.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_bush_hat.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_attacks.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_rebirth.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_jump.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_amulet_resurrect.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_teleport.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/wilson_fx.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_one_man_band.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/shadow_hands.zip" ),        Asset( "SOUND", "sound/sfx.fsb" ),        Asset( "SOUND", "sound/wilson.fsb" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/beard.zip" ),        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/ftc.zip" ),}local prefabs = {}local start_inv = {	-- Custom starting items}local fn = function(inst)		-- choose which sounds this character will play	inst.soundsname = "ftc"

The files inside of my sound folders are as follows. I'm sure I have duplicates but at this point I was just trying to change anything to see if it would make a difference.

sound1.png

sound2.pngsound3.png

I'm hoping someone can see what I'm doing wrong here. I'm sure it's something stupid or coded incorrectly.

When trying to use this, my game crashes. I don't know what's up but I followed the tutorial exactly three times, and each time it resulted in the game crashing. I don't what is wrong, I added the sounds just as stated into the FMOD designer and added the lines to the source lua manually, not by copying and pasting (while making sure to follow the proper file and character names). However, I don't know what one uses the FMOD project template for, or even how to use it, as I have just been creating new projects and placing them in my mod. Also, I don't necessarily know the proper location for the sounds and sound files themselves. I just created a folder entitled "sound" on my mod but every time the game crashes the error states it couldn't locate something having to do with prefabs. I am not sure what it means by this, as I have edited the lua within prefabs, but perhaps the sounds belong there. 

Any help?

@RomanticRedGeek, sorry, haven't been here for a while, luckily Corrosive tried to help a lot of people in my place and I didn't even ask  :D

If you are still interested to fix this, maybe post your log, it usually says something about these problems even if it doesn't crash. Also you can post your project, that's easier for me to understand what's wrong than looking at these screns.

@TheSlackPack, same thing as above. Try looking in the log, potentially upload your project so I can have a look. And saying "it couldn't locate something" is not really going to help. Always be specific and precise!

Ok, I will go ahead and post my project so maybe you can help me figure out what I'm missing.

So on my modmain lua I have:

Assets = {
    Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/jake.fev"),
    Asset("SOUND", "sound/jake.fsb"),
}
RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/death_voice", "jake/characters/jake/death_voice" )
RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/hurt", "jake/characters/jake/hurt" )
RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/talk_LP", "jake/characters/jake/talk_LP" )

My other source lua has:
inst.soundsname = "jake"

My project is saved inside my mod's sound folder
post-652109-0-60071500-1436384707_thumb.
And here is what is located inside my sound folder:
post-652109-0-16017000-1436384804_thumb.
This is what my FMOD project looks like:
post-652109-0-33490000-1436384929_thumb.
post-652109-0-10594500-1436385013_thumb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the good news is that I was able to get it to stop crashing, but now it's just silence.

@TheSlackPack, with "post the project" I mean a *.zip file so I can try to run the mod myself. Imho screenshots are not a valid way to troublshoot anything, I can't even see if you have the *.fev file since are hiding known filetypes. Additionally I don't have a *.log file from you, so I can't even understand what problem the game has.

@TheSlackPack, three things:

1) Since you did not include the actual sound files (*.wav or *.mp3) I can't fully troubleshoot this as I would like to.

2) You did not use the template this tutorial gives. I didn't do it, it was done by one of the Audio-Guys at Klei, so I don't know how significant the changes re between the default project and that template, I suggest you use the template instead.

3) Since you did not use the template your setup is different than mine. Due to how you structured your *.fdp you need to

-- Not thisRemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/death_voice", "jake/characters/jake/death_voice" )-- But thisRemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/death_voice", "jake/jake/death_voice" ) 

4) Lastly I would suggest that you test your mod-in-dev firstly with all other mods disabled. I'm sure this is not the problem here, but enabling other mods can cause unnecessary trouble due to clashes. When your mod works alone you can still try to add compatibility to certain mods if you need it.

So, my suggestion is, just use the template and redo your *.fdp with the help of the tutorial. It's super straightforward and should definitely work.

Ok thank you for the clarification! Here is the mp3 files, in case you want to use them for troubleshooting

voicing mp3.zip

Ok I will go ahead and use the template, I didn't use it before because I couldn't figure out how to open it, but I was able to figure it out after messing around for a while.

Ok I went ahead and created the new project using the template. Sadly, it still doesn't have any sound. Here is what I have so far:

Jake(Beta).zip

I made sure to adjust my lua to follow the template, and went ahead and added my custom sounds into the sound folder. I am not sure what I am missing, I made sure to rename the files and project to my own, but it still doesn't seem to be working.

@TheSlackPack, I can't run it myself right now, I will try later but maybe you can try this:

Assets = {    Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/jake.fev"),    Asset("SOUND", "sound/jake.fsb"),} RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/death_voice", "jake/characters/jake/death_voice" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/hurt", "jake/characters/jake/hurt" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/talk_LP", "jake/characters/jake/talk_LP" )Assets = {    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/saveslot_portraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/saveslot_portraits/jake.xml" ),    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake.xml" ),	    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake_silho.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake_silho.xml" ),    Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/jake.xml" ),	    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/map_icons/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/map_icons/jake.xml" ),}

You are overriding the Assets in line 10, so I guess the game can not access the sound assets anymore. This is bad, though I can't promise it is the problem. Try combining the tables like so

Assets = {    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/saveslot_portraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/saveslot_portraits/jake.xml" ),    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake.xml" ),	    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake_silho.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/jake_silho.xml" ),    Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/jake.tex" ),    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/jake.xml" ),		Asset( "IMAGE", "images/map_icons/jake.tex" ),	Asset( "ATLAS", "images/map_icons/jake.xml" ),    Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/jake.fev"),    Asset("SOUND", "sound/jake.fsb"),}RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/death_voice", "jake/characters/jake/death_voice" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/hurt", "jake/characters/jake/hurt" )RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/jake/talk_LP", "jake/characters/jake/talk_LP" )

@Malacath, I cannot thank you enough! I was able to get it up and running with those last suggestions. I appreciate your assistance greatly, I know it can be a bit of an ordeal sometimes having to deal with noobs like myself, but it was extremely helpful of you.  :encouragement:

OKay, I decided to pick this mod back up again and try to finish it. I attempted the custom sound starting over with the tutorial and the character is working but is silent in game. @Malacath,  You asked me to send in a zip of the character and you'd take a look at it for me. I included the original MP3's in the file. Hopefully you can see what I'm doing wrong.

Felix the Cat Mod.zip

You dont need  dont starve to download mod tools on steam.

Is that true? I think you actually might need Don't Starve on steam in order to use the Don't Starve mod tools. Since it shows up in your "tools" library after don't starve is in your games library.

I think

I'm not totally sure

so I'm having trouble. When I loaded up my character she was just silent. I followed as best I could and did everything, but I didn't do anything with that template thing. What in the world do I do with it? So I copy and paste it somewhere? You never really explain why you need it at all and I think the fact that I didn't use it anywhere is why my voice isn't working.

Can you explain what to do with that big template please? I'm so lost...

never mind I got it to work after messing around a bit more

Is this tutorial supported For DST-Beta Aswel, Because I have my character loading up and working for DST-Beta, But the sounds are silent.

EDIT: By the way, I compiled the speech_1-10 into 1 big long audio file for my characters voice. I hope that has nothing to do with it.

EDIT2: I clicked Save Project As... in the file section and at the top right of the screen it says Project "volac" (volac is my character's name) But, When I press ctrl + b to build it, it still says waverly_bank56 (default). Also, When I build it the .fev-file is named volac.fev but the .fsb-file is named waverly_bank56.fsb

Archived