[Tutorial] Adding Custom Sound To Your Custom Character

Malacath

I tried to add custom sounds in my character mod (playing in Steam) and I can't figure out why I only get silence.

It seems to me the main problem lies in Remap and the difference in file paths, but I still don't get it.

For example, character sounds lie in "C:/.../dont_starve/data/sound/willson/...", and according to the tutorial the remap command remaps from "dontstarve/characters/willson/..." (for example). I tried every combination of paths - tutorial ones and tried changing to what I thought could work out, I got game crashed, fixed it, crashed again, double and triple checked if everything is written properly and in the end it's still nothing. :/

Is there anyone who can help or at least suggest anything?

Where should I remap sound from, if I'm playing in Steam? I mean the proper way to write a path.

When I start the game, I don't get any errors, everything works fine, I can also play my custom sounds through FMOD, so everything should be okay.

Please Help: I watched a video tutorial on this and it worked but mine did not. I used my mod for Singleplayer but she used it for DST. My game crashes at startup now and when I disable it and when I enable it says :

Cant Find Prefab sound/Â'whiskers.fsb

Please help, here is my mod folder if you want to examine it: 

Whiskers.zip

hey! i'm having trouble finding the "inst.soundsname" line in the luas, i feel like it has something to do with me using a Don't Starve Together sample mod instead of a Don't Starve sample mod. would that be the case? or am i just missing something?

On 11/13/2016 at 8:42 PM, TheNecromancer said:

Each time I download the sound files you have in the link, they are always MP3 instead of FSB or FEV. any suggestions on how and why that happens?

thats because you arent putting the sound files through FMOD, you need to "build" a FSB or FEV file through FMOD by inputting the mp3s into it. the original tutorial shows you how to do that

On 1/8/2017 at 6:03 PM, Scrillow said:

thats because you arent putting the sound files through FMOD, you need to "build" a FSB or FEV file through FMOD by inputting the mp3s into it. the original tutorial shows you how to do that

thats because you are looking at the wrong place. I'm currently trying to make a tutorial as I work along but as everyone else on this website we are all getting silence, But anyways to explain where the inst.soundsname line it's in your "character" . lua for example if you are using the DST esctemplate then it should be called "esctemplate.lua" but lets say you followed the tutorial then it should be called "Scrillow.lua"

On 1/7/2017 at 11:18 PM, nicholas03 said:

Please Help: I watched a video tutorial on this and it worked but mine did not. I used my mod for Singleplayer but she used it for DST. My game crashes at startup now and when I disable it and when I enable it says :

Cant Find Prefab sound/Â'whiskers.fsb

Please help, here is my mod folder if you want to examine it: 

Whiskers.zip

for this one problem if you want to find the fsb file it is in your "Don't Starve Mod Tools" folder

Local disk C

Program Files (x86)

Steam

steamapps

common

Don't Starve Mod Tools

@StormyRange @Bruhmis @RomanticRedGeek @Ysulyan @megatengu 

After 3 days of working on sound help with no help from anyone because you know everyone is busy and the topic has been asked 100 times (and at one point I actually got it to work but now that I come back after like 100 years away I forgot again opps). I got it to work. Now the problem is it your problem as well? We shall see. (rechecked my stuff and I found the problem)

YOUR AUDIO IS TOO LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what does it mean? Basicly go to your MP3 Files and play it. Sounds alright right? Well Don't Starve together seems to lower the sound of the actual audio that or we have different speakers settings or etcs. So what I did was (I already own audio editor from a pack of recording stuff I bought) I raise the volume on those MP3 files to about 3 x its normal volume now and I can hear my character CLEARLY. So yes DST show no crashes because yes you did EVERYTHING CORRECTLY it was just that the audio was so soft that you couldnt hear it from all the other DST audio. If you can't change the audio of your MP3 I suggest making your own MP3 by I don't know SCREAMING INTO THE MICROPHONE. Putting it into your DST custom character and see if you can actually hear your scream! haha SCREW YOU AUDIO SOUND ~ <3 (2nd fix) but also it looks like fmod creates a temporary folder called .fsbcache which the uploader doesn't like. Meaning delete that file. (in fact after fiddling around I found this mysterious folder and deleted it. Before it didn't show up before so I don't know why it did now)

On 9/24/2013 at 7:45 PM, MikeyTheFox said:

I found the fix to your guys problems.

The template's path which is shown in the screenshots in the first page is "sound_mod_tutorial"  If you don't resave your file when building it. It will stay as "sound_mod_tutorial"

It's a silly mistake that I think everyone here was overlooking. once you resave the fdp as save as "<Character Name>"

Then everything should be fine like so: I open up the fdp, add the sounds and rename "winnifred" to "wod" for example. And then click Save As and save it as wod.fdp

After changing the path in modmain several times, my problem (SOUNDS WERE MUTED) was ultimately saved by this mans post. Thank you MikeyTheFox, even though it's been years since you posted this lol.

For further clarification of what the problem was:

My fdp was called "sounds.fdp" but in the path it was <character>/characters/<character/yawn (etc)

when it should've been: sounds/characters/<character>/yawn

23 hours ago, SpartanQuasar said:

So I did this to my custom character (named "Scary Parker") and when i launch the game this appears.

Please help me with my problem as soon as you can.

ok - so the error tells you the problem is in line 38

The game is expecting a closing '}' from line 6...

But your closing '}' is on line 40... so why is the game expecting it on line 38?

Look carefully is there any difference between line 38 and the other lines in the rest of the Assets?

if you can't figure it out see hidden comments below

Spoiler

Place a comma after line 37 and Line 38

Archived