Thread Derailment - UPDATED

JoeW

As noted in the community standards guidelines, all posts are to remain on topic. 

Thread derailing is getting out of hand again and frequent off-topic posters will be given official warnings and possibly banned or suspended if the behavior continues. 

I don't want to see this happen, I like you guys and it really sucks when I have to hand out warnings and bans. 

It may be amusing to you, but it is disruptive and needs to stop.

Edited by JoeW
Not updated. The rules are the same. Please pay attention to them.
  • Like 28

So, a thread can be off-topic, but the people in it need to stay on the threads topic?

that makes perfect sense since it's only off-topic in the sense that it's not related to Don't Starve, but I don't see the harm in trying to find out what the thread is about.

that makes perfect sense since it's only off-topic in the sense that it's not related to Don't Starve, but I don't see the harm in trying to find out what the thread is about.

Correct. I will adjust some things tomorrow to kind of make things more clear in that respect. 

• Like 1

Since this is about clarification, I want to ask real quick:

Can we use the report tool to alert mods of threads that should be moved or should we just leave that up to mods that happen to come across a thread in the wrong place?

Edited by jbeetle
  • Like 1

I have a couple of questions:

As long as the OP and the people involved on the thread agree with changing the original theme, is it ok to change it?

And how thick is the line that have to be crossed to give a warning point and/or ban someone because he/she was derailing a off-topic thread ?

Edited by Hugo M.
  • Like 1

So here's a simple question : Is it ok to move to another topic if the OP is ok with it?
Edit: Hugo already asked that. I should really read the replies next time...
Edit again : I just posted "Did anyone say bacon" and then left. What happened in that thread? Did i start anything? O_o
And what if threads like that one when we don't have any idea what the topic is can we get reported simply because we posted something someone doesn't like?

Like when Hugo asked what the thread was about the got replied with "stop asking or i'll ignore you"...what was that about?!

Edited by TeoSS69

Can we use the report tool to alert mods of threads that should be moved or should we just leave that up to mods that happen to come across a thread in the wrong place?

I can't speak for the rest of the mods, but personally speaking, I'd be okay if people used the @Syd notification thing to alert me if a topic needs moved elsewhere.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong with reporting the off-topic threads, either.

• Like 2

I can't speak for the rest of the mods, but personally speaking, I'd be okay if people used the @Syd notification thing to alert me if a topic needs moved elsewhere.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong with reporting the off-topic threads, either.

I always do it to report threads in wrong sections, double posts and such. Thought that it was better sending the problem to the mods instead of them having to scan the threads to find them. Hopping i didn't clog the reports feed for no reason.

I always do it to report threads in wrong sections, double posts and such. Thought that it was better sending the problem to the mods instead of them having to scan the threads to find them. Hopping i didn't clog the reports feed for no reason.

it also varies depending on the forum. Steam forums would warn you if you did it enough, which is stupid.

You are welcome to report anything if you feel it should be moved. We'll check it out and decide the best course of action. 

I would prefer that you not "summon" moderators though. That gets kind of sticky. If something needs to be moved or attended too because it's obvious, then fine. But anything where you have a problem with the content should go to reports. 

I don't want to see the moderators or developers leveraged over other users as a threat. 

Reports are anonymous to other users, so it's the best way to handle something that is out of line. 

But, understand that just because something wasn't handled the way you think it should be handled, doesn't mean it is being ignored. I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt here, And I would like to keep it that way. 

You are welcome to report anything if you feel it should be moved. We'll check it out and decide the best course of action. 

I would prefer that you not "summon" moderators though. That gets kind of sticky. If something needs to be moved or attended too because it's obvious, then fine. But anything where you have a problem with the content should go to reports. 

I don't want to see the moderators or developers leveraged over other users as a threat. 

Reports are anonymous to other users, so it's the best way to handle something that is out of line. 

But, understand that just because something wasn't handled the way you think it should be handled, doesn't mean it is being ignored. I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt here, And I would like to keep it that way. 

Sorry Joey.