TheDanaAddams

[Tutorial] The Artist's Guide To Character/item Modding

526 posts in this topic

Don't bother using this template image. It's over a year old. Go use a better one like extended sample character instead. The extended sample character has larger hitboxes for each part and a pre-made Spriter file so you can see what each body part is. Not to mention, it has support for Don't Starve Together, lightning sprites and host of other things.

2 people like this

Don't bother using this template image. It's over a year old. Go use a better one like extended sample character instead. The extended sample character has larger hitboxes for each part and a pre-made Spriter file so you can see what each body part is. Not to mention, it has support for Don't Starve Together, lightning sprites and host of other things.

Sweet - thanks! This thread has been pretty active lately so I thought it was being updated. I'll check out the link.

Well, after some months I decided to return to my character creation project.
I have followed all steps and even used the extended simple character thing DragonDePlatino shared and regardless of what I do when I try to load the mod it simply tells me it crashed on the last load and that's it, no message, no reason why it crashed, nothing.

Edit: It seems I had a little error in modinfo which I corrected.
Now errors started to appear.
I fixed all issues and now the mod appears to be crashing my game every time I enable it, freezing at the start menu.

Edit 2: I think I found the problem, but now another issue appears. Every time I load the mod, the game crashes, returning me to the desktop without any sort of error message.

Edit 3: Checking the log file for mistakes...

Edit 4: It seems there's an error in  the speech.lua ... But I've double checked, triple checked and there's absolutely nothing wrong. Let me show you the log...

scripts/modindex.lua(386,1) Could not load mod_config_data/modconfiguration_Ysulyan mod
scripts/mods.lua(152,1) Loading mod: Ysulyan mod (Ysulyan)
scripts/mods.lua(179,1) Mod: Ysulyan mod (Ysulyan) Loading modworldgenmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(187,1) Mod: Ysulyan mod (Ysulyan)  Mod had no modworldgenmain.lua. Skipping.
scripts/mods.lua(179,1) Mod: Ysulyan mod (Ysulyan) Loading modmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(193,1) Mod: Ysulyan mod (Ysulyan)  Error loading mod!
error loading module 'speech_ysu' from file '..\mods\Ysulyan mod\scripts\speech_ysu.lua':
..\mods\Ysulyan mod\scripts\speech_ysu.lua:678: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 97) near 'ICEHOUND'
Edited by Ysulyan

Well, after some months I decided to return to my character creation project.

I have followed all steps and even used the extended simple character thing DragonDePlatino shared and regardless of what I do when I try to load the mod it simply tells me it crashed on the last load and that's it, no message, no reason why it crashed, nothing.

Edit: It seems I had a little error in modinfo which I corrected.

Now errors started to appear.

I fixed all issues and now the mod appears to be crashing my game every time I enable it, freezing at the start menu.

Edit 2: I think I found the problem, but now another issue appears. Every time I load the mod, the game crashes, returning me to the desktop without any sort of error message.

Edit 3: Checking the log file for mistakes...

Hmm...you're using the most recent version 1.0.2, right? The one with all of the extra DST stuff? I haven't tried using that version of the extended sample character because I was afraid it would create compatibility issues with regular ol' Don't Starve. Try version 1.0.1 of the extended sample character instead, because it's what I used.

Hmm...you're using the most recent version 1.0.2, right? The one with all of the extra DST stuff? I haven't tried using that version of the extended sample character because I was afraid it would create compatibility issues with regular ol' Don't Starve. Try version 1.0.1 of the extended sample character instead, because it's what I used.

I had the same haunch. To test that out, I enabled the extended sample character mod, loading it in DS.

It loaded perfectly, without any problems or error messages, not even a warning about version issues.

I will download 1.0.1 as you said, see what happens. Thanks! I'll give you an update when I can.

Edit: I found out that the build file inside the animations was broken. Finally I managed to make my mod work. Now on to scripting a way of losing sanity every time you chop down a tree.

Edited by Ysulyan

This tutorial is extremely helpful, and I hate to criticize it because I wouldn't be even half as far along with character modding as I am now without it, but I'd just like to note that- as an artist- I found the template files referenced really lacking. If you look at the default character .anim files, they are nearly twice the resolution and this makes an ENORMOUS difference in the appearance of the character. And furthermore, I think it is incorrect that you have to resize the file back down to its original resolution. I tried using a file at 200% and it worked fine, I'm not sure why - maybe because ratios were the same? Anyway, the point is -- this tutorial is for artists (and it's very good), but artists are going to care about the resolutions. Let them know they could be working at twice the resolution-- as the default files are!! With the templates you can't even tell what is going on with the hand gestures.

hey, i was wondering.. on the template, do we need to fill every single square out? and if so, what goes where? cause i see stuff like: skirt and wilson hair and i am not quite sure what those mean..

I'm very new to don't starve and to modding. I saw that lots of people made custom characters and I made it my goal to put myself into this game. I followed this tutorial and for the most part it was easy to understand and complete, but when I try to play the game with my mod it crashes. It will let me activate the mod and when I start a new game it will let me choose my character and everything. But when the game is done generating the world it just shuts down without any crash error message or anything. It doesn't even give me a chance to see my character in the game. Does anyone know how to fix this?

[Edit] Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the awesome tutorial btw.

Edited by puningtilde

i have an urgent question I have my sprite set up and such but how do you plan out the structure to have the parts stay in the places you want them? I change them in the spriter but when I run the game they don't stay and go back to some default form. can anyone help me?

Alright, I've done everything I need, but when I enable the mod, I cannot create or select my characters, no error or anything, I simply cannot click New Character or select one I had previously.

Anybody know how to fix this issue? It also happened with an example character.

Thanks!

Alright, I've done everything I need, but when I enable the mod, I cannot create or select my characters, no error or anything, I simply cannot click New Character or select one I had previously.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Ok, I got my skin to work, but it was ugly, I redrew and replaced the character sprite sheet. Now the game shows both plus encased in green boxes, I don't know what to make of this. I have tried changing the names of various things and re-compiling stuff but nothing seems to fix the issue, can anybody help?

Here is a short video just showing the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irbw8gFTrsM&feature=youtu.be

Keep in mind that I did successfully create a skin, just went to chance the skin art and BAM!

Also, sorry about my last post, I don't know why it posted 4 times. -Thank You

I do not know if some one has asked this already, but I was wondering if there was a place to find a further break down of which Image went to what action? I am fairly new and even after studying the images against the actual put together characters, there are a few images that I cannot figure out what actions they are used for.

Thanks so much for your wonderful post though, it made doing this for the first time much easier to do.

I wanna make a question, someone knows make a stack limit for your character?

Example: The normal characters has 40 of a grass and sticks stack, i wanna make a 30 for my character

someone knows the stack number limit code?

Edited by Neutral_Steve

You need to go back and explain in A LOT MORE DETAIL what it is exactly that I am doing. You give almost no explanation as to what is going on and what means what.

But what about items? We want to give our character a custom item! Make ourselves feel all special. This is a bit more involved.

...Indeed this is what I am stupid about I think.  I have made an custom item - It works just fine - it's stats, it's ground image, it's hand-in image and it's inventory image.

Just CAN'T FIND OUT how to make recipe tab image -.-'

at the moment my item setting looks like this:

local item = Recipe("item", {Ingredient("someingredient", 1000)}, RECIPETABS.TOWN, TECH.NONE)
recipe.atlas = "images/item.xml"
recipe.sortkey = 1

STRINGS.RECIPE_DESC.ITEM = "bla bla bla blah." 

images/item.xml doesn't work at all... Also I checked several times - all folders are correct.. No idea what to do to make it work :\

Fresh out of the diaper new guy here! Trying to work out all of my weird issues on my own. been working on my toon for about two weeks now (learning something new is so damn slow!) Speaking of. if there is anyone out there that would like to mentor me, with new guy questions, please send me a tell. I could use the help, but don't want to completly flood the forum with easy to answer questions. I mainly try to resolve questions myself. One thing I am having a problem finding is the "Bones" program Dana likes to use when animating. If by chance, can I get a link? and did they ever implement being able to use it with the Spriter? 

Thanks in advance! Now to go change these diapers! ADVENTURE! 

Fixed original issue, now it seem the game can't see my zip folder. has anyone ever come across this issue? I swera to god, by the end of this week, i'll be able to answer these things on my own. 

post-568384-0-27603400-1422221209_thumb.

Edited by RedRock911

Very good and easy to understand tutorial HOWEVER, I need some help as it all SEEMS to work until I try to start a game at which point it just crashes.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I really want to get a custom character into the game.

1 person likes this

Got a rough working draft of my first mod! only need to align some of the animations, I thought I could use spriter, but I was wrong. So do we just move the Png files around? or is there a tutorial or resource to align body parts?

I need the mod don't work. It says: steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:244: Could not find an asset matching anim/E79.zip (The name i choose) in any of the search paths.

LUA ERROR stack traceback:

=[C] in function 'assert'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(244,1) in function 'resolvefilepath'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunction.lua(18,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(42,1 in function 'LoadPrefabFile'

scripts/main.lua(202,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'

scripts/main.lua(241,1)

=[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(55,1)

This error may have occured due to a mod you have enabled!

You have the following mods enabled:

"Mymod"

i got the same error :\ (of course with my characters name!) but mine is in DST not DS or ROG.

Got my toon done! quick question, this tutorial seems a bit outdated, is there a new tutorial somewhere on how to make custom items? or does this one still pretty much work for item creation? 

Thank you for the tutorial, it was really easy to follow <3 Yet I have a problem: My new (and first) mod keeps crashing. The reason behind this is, according to the game:

... (file address) .../mods/ADE/modmain/lua:29: unexpected symbol near '.'

I tried to take a look into the lua file but I can't see the problem :C

Halp? 

Thanks for this tutorial! My mod... in theory works. The bigportrait is there, as well as the other two; however....let's just say I was excited to see it working, so I started a play with it and as soon as it loaded... OH DEAR. I kept within the character art boxes for each thing...so what is happening here? "XD help?

http://postimg.org/image/eqmzsiwuv/

http://postimg.org/image/3n7z0o0yf/

http://postimg.org/image/svssuc5w7/

http://postimg.org/gallery/k78iervc/b3ba96c1/

Thanks for this tutorial! My mod... in theory works. The bigportrait is there, as well as the other two; however....let's just say I was excited to see it working, so I started a play with it and as soon as it loaded... OH DEAR. I kept within the character art boxes for each thing...so what is happening here? "XD help?

http://postimg.org/image/eqmzsiwuv/

http://postimg.org/image/3n7z0o0yf/

http://postimg.org/image/svssuc5w7/

http://postimg.org/gallery/k78iervc/b3ba96c1/