TheDanaAddams

[Tutorial] The Artist's Guide To Character/item Modding

526 posts in this topic

Epic i study all nigth but when i can i make all and say you =) really ty for new info of modding for starter =) like me ^^

This is making me wonder how one can make something similar to hand claws  and make it so that it creates another hand slot above that to allow you to hold second item as well, maybe even a second hand claw. I have a monk character I'm trying to create and being able to have it so that she can make and use at least one of their weapons would be awesome. :3 (And no, I'm not planning on crossing Diablo with Don't Starve. The character would still be a crossover, but she'd be from a different game entirely. >.>)

This is making me wonder how one can make something similar to hand claws  and make it so that it creates another hand slot above that to allow you to hold second item as well, maybe even a second hand claw. I have a monk character I'm trying to create and being able to have it so that she can make and use at least one of their weapons would be awesome. :3 (And no, I'm not planning on crossing Diablo with Don't Starve. The character would still be a crossover, but she'd be from a different game entirely. >.>)

You will probably have to wait until we have the ability to expand existing animation sets before you could do something like that.

I can't think of anything off-hand that would suit a glove-weapon.

(No pun intended, but I'll take it. ;P)

1 person likes this

Ah, well. I'm just going to have to figure out another character then. I know slamming a shapeshifter into the game's definitely impossible right now. (I'm talking Ditto-styled shapeshifting, not Woodie-styled shapeshifting.)

Unfortunately, I'm one of those that still need a side-by-side example of an already made custom character next to the sprite template to make heads or tails of it. x.x I'm more of a visual learner than anything else. >_>;

=) yep all work now need more work in art =3 epic ty  dana =P (i have a lot isues i solve it puting all whit bloq mayus off)k53b.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm one of those that still need a side-by-side example of an already made custom character next to the sprite template to make heads or tails of it. x.x I'm more of a visual learner than anything else. >_>;

At the very end of the post, I link to the character I created while writing this, if taking a look at that will help. =)

=) yep all work now need more work in art =3 epic ty  dana =P (i have a lot isues i solve it puting all whit bloq mayus off)

I'm glad to see you were able to follow it!

You've got some pretty nasty-looking aliasing around the edge of the hair, though. Something I'm sure you've noticed. =)

I'm glad to see you were able to follow it!

You've got some pretty nasty-looking aliasing around the edge of the hair, though. Something I'm sure you've noticed. =)

Yep =) i fix it now i trying to fix problem of body conection to head in the screenshot can see (left rigth) the body is under hair in the second is the best but i can see a little hair in neck zone and in the last img  the hair is under body =) and i fixising nose problems =) when all finis i go to make portraits and powers ect ect but the first needed is a cool char =)

am7f.jpg

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT    inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT

is posible make the inverse of the wendy pasive? this make less drain of sanity i want make the oposite  more drain of sanity (in all situations monster day  cicle ect..) i put yet a pasive drain  sanity perk but a want too more sanity drain influence =P srry for mi english and mi noob quest i think put

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = ( TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT * -2 )    inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = ( TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT * -2  )

but i dont think if i can make like that

I KNOW yet i rember wolfang have scare to nigth and monsters i see the lua and i found the path =3

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = 1.1	inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = 1.1
Edited by leprucio

Night vision while Charlie is still able to hurt you in darkness, is that somehow still considered OP?

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT    inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT

is posible make the inverse of the wendy pasive? this make less drain of sanity i want make the oposite  more drain of sanity (in all situations monster day  cicle ect..) i put yet a pasive drain  sanity perk but a want too more sanity drain influence =P srry for mi english and mi noob quest i think put

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = ( TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT * -2 )    inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = ( TUNING.WENDY_SANITY_MULT * -2  )

but i dont think if i can make like that

I KNOW yet i rember wolfang have scare to nigth and monsters i see the lua and i found the path =3

inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = 1.1	inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = 1.1

Since it's a multiplier, it's pretty straightforward. Wilson is 1x, and that's your point of reference.

A value of 1.1 would be 110% of Wilson's sanity draining, and thus faster.

A value of 0.75 would be 75% of Wilson's sanity draining, and thus slower.

Think about it like that, and it should be pretty easy to work out. =)

I need the mod don't work. It says: steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:244: Could not find an asset matching anim/E79.zip (The name i choose) in any of the search paths.

LUA ERROR stack traceback:

=[C] in function 'assert'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(244,1) in function 'resolvefilepath'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunction.lua(18,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(42,1 in function 'LoadPrefabFile'

scripts/main.lua(202,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'

scripts/main.lua(241,1)

=[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(55,1)

This error may have occured due to a mod you have enabled!

You have the following mods enabled:

"Mymod"

The problem is explained pretty well in that error!

steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:244: Could not find an asset matching anim/E79.zip in any of the search paths.

The code is telling it to look in your mod's "anim" folder for a file called "E79.zip" - and it's crashing because it can't find it.

Check that the file is in there, and named correctly - also double check that you've got the correct case, since I believe the file paths are case sensitive. You may be telling it to look for "E79"when the file is called "e79".

Night vision while Charlie is still able to hurt you in darkness, is that somehow still considered OP?

Don't worry about that stuff - just make your character how you want to make it. It's your project, after all!

Okay thanks you i fixed the error. But when i launch the game it immediately crashes?

Check your log.txt in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarve/

It'll be in your "My Documents" sort of folder - not with the rest of the Don't Starve files.

Looks like your portrait tex files are bad. Download the sample character templates and make sure you keep to the power-of-2 sizes. (128, 256, 1024, things like that. I'm pretty sure the template images you're getting errors on, there, don't have those dimensions in the templates.

how we do the "draw" of a animation: Ex: i want do a hand and how I draw it, i dont know how to create a animation file.

how we do the "draw" of a animation: Ex: i want do a hand and how I draw it, i dont know how to create a animation file.

Download the templates from the Sample Mods, bring it into your image editor, and draw over the top on a new layer.

Some character designs have physical traits that are going to be a pain in the ass to translate into a viable sprite...such as my attempt's twin-tails. x.x Figuring out how to make it so that my character is wearing her custom tophat when not actually wearing a hat and not showing it when she's is wearing something was easy. >_>

Edited by Tesability