New Asset Tools: Animations, Textures, Sounds And Layouts!

Ipsquiggle

Something I'm curious about is the sound of characters, I'm sure there's some kind of internal structure to distinguish the different sounds like "onhit", "death" and so on and so forth... Is there some way we could recreate those in FMOD Designer to add our own sound to characters?

I converted it at home by downloading the mod tools and starting the game so it shouldn't be any different.  Is the beanlet posted somewhere for me to try?

Dude, don't work from home! You're not getting paid for that and we want you to get paid  ; )

If you look at the 'soundexample' mod, it shows you how you can overwrite existing game sounds with your own.  However, due to the license agreement involved with our sound assets, we can't distribute those for use in mods.

That's understandable. But what about releasing the new modding tools under an open source license, so that we may tweak them and, most importantly, port them to other OSes?

@simplex, you done got a special banner under ya!

Yep! This new badge is so awesome. ;]

(we also got a subforum, in case you haven't seen it yet!)

EDIT: Argh, I should've edited the previous post, sorry. (especially since this isn't really on-topic)

Edited by simplex

You should be able to copy the steam mod tools to another game. 

As for your animation problem, do you have the mod tools installed and are you running on windows?  

I tried to reinstaled don't starve and the mod tools, still doesn't work. And I use windows 7

• Developer

Two other guesses that I have:

#1 If you right click on the shortcut to your game or to the mod tools on steam, do you have autoupdate turned off?

#2 There's currently a bug where if you install your game to one drive and the mod tools to another drive, the game won't detect the tools and build them on startup.

• Developer

Something I'm curious about is the sound of characters, I'm sure there's some kind of internal structure to distinguish the different sounds like "onhit", "death" and so on and so forth... Is there some way we could recreate those in FMOD Designer to add our own sound to characters?

Dude, don't work from home! You're not getting paid for that and we want you to get paid  ; )

I've added a tutorial on how to replace in game sounds.  If you give it a try, please let me know how it goes :).

congrats on finishing the animation tools . the interface isnt bad .

but im kind of having some trouble keeping things connected perfectly . theres sort of a drift . is it possible to lock a sprite in a position on another sprite so if i move say a head the eyes and mouth and hair could be locked to it so only if i unlocked them would they move since they would be attached to the head ? its more helpful with lots of parts on one piece than say a arm

or do i just have to use the side numerical input to give cords to things with precision ?

congrats on finishing the animation tools . the interface isnt bad . but im kind of having some trouble keeping things connected perfectly . theres sort of a drift . is it possible to lock a sprite in a position on another sprite so if i move say a head the eyes and mouth and hair could be locked to it so only if i unlocked them would they move since they would be attached to the head ? its more helpful with lots of parts on one piece than say a arm or do i just have to use the side numerical input to give cords to things with precision ?

What you're looking for is bones.

Check out the Spriter demonstration videos on their website - they run through the features quite nicely.

Unfortunately, there is no bone support yet, so... you've either got to wait for a bone support update... or painstakingly eyematch every keyframe.

• Like 1