New Asset Tools: Animations, Textures, Sounds And Layouts!

Ipsquiggle

Ok so.. I'm just learning to mod, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can I change the look of the turf?

I assumed this was what Tiled was for, but I haven't played with it yet, and after reading the description, I started to wonder.

I see in the Up and Away mod that they are making different turfs, so I'm assuming this has to be possible. I don't need a detailed lesson because I'm still learning much more basic things, but can someone just point me in a really general direction for later when I might want to try this?

Also, if that's not what Tiled is for, what exactly is a "layout"? I just didn't quite understand.

Ok so.. I'm just learning to mod, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can I change the look of the turf?

I assumed this was what Tiled was for, but I haven't played with it yet, and after reading the description, I started to wonder.

I see in the Up and Away mod that they are making different turfs, so I'm assuming this has to be possible. I don't need a detailed lesson because I'm still learning much more basic things, but can someone just point me in a really general direction for later when I might want to try this?

Also, if that's not what Tiled is for, what exactly is a "layout"? I just didn't quite understand.

Tiled is to set up layouts of stuff to spawn in-game. Like you could use Tiled to make the game stick carpeted areas loaded with gold in the forest.

I've only really touched on the very basics of Tiled, so I don't know how to make it work really well... but there is an example mod for a Tiled layout that you can look at.

As for custom turfs, I believe we were having some serious difficulty with that in U&A - if I recall, the addition of altered turf (which I believe was simply retextured from existing files, but I have no idea how it was loaded in - I think that part required some know-how.) caused some serious issues with the framerate, and the game getting unplayably slow.

I think the bugs thread was in the public U&A forum, so, you might be able to see how it was achieved, and what problems occurred in there.

Tiled is to set up layouts of stuff to spawn in-game. Like you could use Tiled to make the game stick carpeted areas loaded with gold in the forest.

I've only really touched on the very basics of Tiled, so I don't know how to make it work really well... but there is an example mod for a Tiled layout that you can look at.

As for custom turfs, I believe we were having some serious difficulty with that in U&A - if I recall, the addition of altered turf (which I believe was simply retextured from existing files, but I have no idea how it was loaded in - I think that part required some know-how.) caused some serious issues with the framerate, and the game getting unplayably slow.

I think the bugs thread was in the public U&A forum, so, you might be able to see how it was achieved, and what problems occurred in there.

Ok, thanks again, Dana. Now I get what they mean by "layouts". I don't think I'll even try to dive in to that bug thread yet if it's that complicated, as I'm just barely beginning to understand basic lua and the file structures, but I'm glad I have a place to start if/when I get there. 

So whats up with spriter?

I made some anim file and its  normal size in the spriter 128x64, the converted thexture in the anim zip file is also 128x64 but the item that uses that anim in game is very tiny.

Used double sized texture 256x128 it didn't get resized in anim zip file and its still tiny in game.

How this cursed spriter and conversion works ???

Edited by _Q_

I cant seem to get the animations to compile correctly, i have the png and the scml in the anim folder, both are named the same, but whenever i run dont starve to make it compile it just runs the game without doing anything

I have the same problem, I have the .pngs and .scmls in my mods/mymod/anim but the DST Tools checks for a bunch of HUD things and doesn't check the mod folder. Anyone can help?

Edit: After some messin around with files. It seems that the compiler only reads from the modname/images folder. and doesn't check the anim folder. Anyway to fix this?

Edited by Aquaterion

Don't know if this belong here (at least a bit for sure :-D) but what is the naming convention for the SixFaced and EightFaced entities?

For the FourFaced it is _up, _down and _side but what about the SixFaced and EightFaced? And I cannot decompile any anim.zip of a Six or EightFaced prefab because krane complains about duplicate animation name.

I cant seam to get the animations to compile correctly, i have the png and the scml in the anim folder, both are named the same, but whenever i run dont starve to make it compile it just runs the game without doing anything

Yep. Same thing. But I figured it out. The explanation for how to use the animation pipeline is just plain wrong. your .scml and .png files need to be saved in mods/<your mod>/exported not mods/<your mod>/anim.

If you put your .scml and .png files in exported it will generate the .zip and put it in your anim folder.

Edited by HomShaBom
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2015 at 2:10 AM, HomShaBom said:

Yep. Same thing. But I figured it out. The explanation for how to use the animation pipeline is just plain wrong. your .scml and .png files need to be saved in mods/<your mod>/exported not mods/<your mod>/anim.

If you put your .scml and .png files in exported it will generate the .zip and put it in your anim folder.

Thank you for this.

I can't get the texture pipeline to work. My .pngs are not being converted. Here are my steps:

1. Went to steam library > tools > Don't starve mod tools, set it to public preview and ran Spriter.

2. Made C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods\bunny folder with a modinfo.lua file in it

3. Made C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods\bunny\anim folder and put bunny.png in it. bunny.png is the png of rabbit_build.tex from Don't starve together's original anim files

4. Ran don't starve together, up to generating a new world and wandering around a bit.

How do I get it to generate the zip file, or a .scml file I can open in Spriter, to be generated? Thanks!

Edited by fsih
change file type
  • Thanks 1