- - - - -

Charcoal Issue?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Critter79

Critter79

• 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Okay, so I used to get my charcoal by putting a campfire up against a few trees but now... with the spacing I can't seem to get a fire close enough to burn the trees down and make the charcoal. Has anybody else had this problem or knows how to fix this problem?
(>^_^)> Kirby <(^o^)> Dance! <(^_^<)

#2 Toaster Fu

Toaster Fu
  • Thousandaire

• 4159 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

You can click on the tree with a torch, like if you were planting a seed in a farm.

Edit: cpt explained it better.
Civil
Courteous and polite : we tried to be civil to him.

#3 cptCalavera

cptCalavera
  • BeeGraSpiManiac

• 903 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

This is a result of the latest hotfix that changed the spacing between structures.

You can use a torch to light it on fire instead. Hold the torch with your mousepointer and cklick the tree to watch it burn. Maybe there is a keyboard shortcut for this? Try, ctrl or shift. might work.
My adventures in RoG and DST on Twitch -and- The beard is your friend
"You should listen to the captain. He is speaking the truth." -Kevin
Get updated about Don't Starve Together!

#4 Critter79

Critter79

• 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Okay, that's cool. I never used a torch on a tree that wasn't trying to kill me. (~_^) Thanks!

#5 Marak

Marak
  • Pining for the fjords

• 311 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Torches: not just for Optimus Pines any more! ;)

#6 CHeeseyx

CHeeseyx

• 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

I still got a campfire to spread to trees, just had to put them as close together as possible.

#7 NeedPants

NeedPants

• 297 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Not to mention if u fuel the fire till it is as wilson says "getting out of hand" or wolfgang "is too much fire", that increases the likelyhood of nearby trees catching on fire, at a larger distance than with a normal fire.
One does not Need Pants for a victory dance :cool:

#8 Marak

Marak
  • Pining for the fjords

• 311 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not to mention if u fuel the fire till it is as wilson says "getting out of hand" or wolfgang "is too much fire", that increases the likelyhood of nearby trees catching on fire, at a larger distance than with a normal fire.

Note that this might not work with a Fire pit since it contains a fire more effectively. For best results, make a Campfire and fuel the heck out of it, like NeedPants suggested. Of course, I'd say the twig and grass you need to make a torch is going to be more "cost effective" than dumping enough fuel onto a campfire to get it to the "out of hand" stage, but it is your call.

#9 NeedPants

NeedPants

• 297 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yes u are correct, firepits dont even set treeguards on fire, they are THAT safe.
One does not Need Pants for a victory dance :cool:

#10 Apollysis

Apollysis

• 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I cannot set trees on fire with the torch. All I get is the option to examine even after I press shift or ctrl while clicking.

#11 Critter79

Critter79

• 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Use it like a drag-and-drop. That's what I did. Click on the torch so it's held by your mouse pointer and then use it that way on the tree. It should have a "light" command when you mouse over something flammable.

- - - Updated - - -

Use it like a drag-and-drop. That's what I did. Click on the torch so it's held by your mouse pointer and then use it that way on the tree. It should have a "light" command when you mouse over something flammable.

#12 Toaster Fu

Toaster Fu
  • Thousandaire

• 4159 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Have the trees been burnt before?
Civil
Courteous and polite : we tried to be civil to him.

#13 Apollysis

Apollysis

• 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

No they had not been burnt before but the dragging and dropping tip from Critter worked perfectly.

#14 Excess

Excess
  • Burns Things

• 1444 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

That's a good trick I didn't knew about. I'm gonna add it to the controls thread :)
Don't Starve Controls (learn how to get around)
How to move with [Z][Q][S][D] (on an Azerty keyboard)
All you wanna know about multiplayer (but where too lazy to look for)

#15 Critter79

Critter79

• 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Glad I could help. (^_^)