[*]Steam
    [/list]Version Number

Do you have mods installed?

No

Issue title

Unexplained blurred graphics after 07/02 update

Steps to reproduce

Start game.
    Look at the partially main menu graphics.
    Load game.
    Look at the graphics.
    Scratch head and feel confused.

Describe your issue

I recently received the "Strange New Powers" update to my game.
    And in case it's relevant, after said update the game failed to even start without the "dontstarve_steam.exe had stopped working" window popping up. I eventually fixed the problem by validating the game files, so I don't know if that may have something to do with this...

Anywho, some of my graphics are unbelievably blurry. Just some. Some things are as sharp as they've ever been. The rest is just blurry, including the title screen title logo and the item inventory and crafting tab among others. My graphics settings haven't changed at all.

I'd post pics, but the post won't upload if I just copy-paste images, and apparently I don't have "permission" to manage my attachments in bug submission threads.

#2 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2045 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

It sounds like small textures mode got enabled for you somehow. Try turning it off in the options screen and restarting your game.

'You get three cycles of grass per poop.'

#3 sebastjanv

sebastjanv

• 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

It sounds like small textures mode got enabled for you somehow. Try turning it off in the options screen and restarting your game.

I had blocky/blurry graphics as well. Disabling the small textures and quiting the game resolved it =) I'm on Macbook Pro.

#4 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

My small textures weren't enabled and aren't enabled. I checked before and I've just checked again. Neither is netbook mode. I did enable it, re-disable it, then restart, but I have the same problem.

And the thing is, small textures makes everything a little bit blurrier. In my case, a few things are sharp, and some things are very blurry, like the title logo and the inventory and crafting tab.

Edited by kbfirebird, 03 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#5 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Um, so...hello? Do we know what the issue is yet? Is there a fix?

#6 Wade

Wade
  • Super Moderator

• 5647 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

We're currently looking into this issue to try to figure out why some people are seeing this.May I ask what your system specs are?What version of the game are you playing?

#7 Daxxal

Daxxal

• 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Same issue.Pentium D 3.2g2gig ramHD 3400 512mb cardsteam - strange new powers(not much but DS has always ran like a dream on this machine)Plz Halp.

#8 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Okay, um...Windows 7 64-bit3GB RAMATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200Steam, Version: 80816Did I miss anything?

#9 JLK

JLK
  • Super Moderator

• 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

If enabling small textures makes the game even blurrier for you, can you please post a screen shot of the game _without_ small textures enabled? I.e. in the mode that should be as sharp as possible?Currently we don't know enough to make an educated guess and can't reproduce the issue locally.

#10 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I think I may have mentioned above that the site won't let me attach images or posts with pictures. Like I said, some things are as sharp as ever, like quantity numbers and the actual view of my character and surrounding world, but stuff like the HUD, inventory images, and title screen title are incredibly blurry.

Edited by kbfirebird, 08 July 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#11 dawastrel

dawastrel

• 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

If enabling small textures makes the game even blurrier for you, can you please post a screen shot of the game _without_ small textures enabled? I.e. in the mode that should be as sharp as possible?Currently we don't know enough to make an educated guess and can't reproduce the issue locally.

Here are some screen shots that I took. I think I had posted my specs on another thread but I will do it again.Attached File  menu.jpg   113.07KB   64 downloadsAttached File  day.jpg   95.12KB   64 downloadsAttached File  night.jpg   53.1KB   64 downloadsProcessor: AMD E-350 Processor Memory (RAM): 4.00 GBGraphics: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics Gaming graphics: 1973 MB Total available graphics memoryPrimary hard disk: 196GB Free (256GB Total) Windows 7 Home Premium System -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model K53U Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 Storage -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total size of hard disk(s) 596 GB Disk partition (C:) 196 GB Free (256 GB Total) Disk partition (D:) 315 GB Free (315 GB Total) Media drive (E:) CD/DVD Disk partition (R:) 14 GB Free (25 GB Total) Graphics -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics Total available graphics memory 1973 MB Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 1589 MB Display adapter driver version 8.930.13.6000 Primary monitor resolution 1366x768 DirectX version DirectX 10 My computer is a laptop and I hope my info helps. I also hope my pictures make it through.

#12 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2045 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

This isn't the small textures thing - it looks like all of the UI images are blurry, but the anims and fonts are fine. Perhaps there's a shader difference that can explain it?

#13 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

This isn't the small textures thing - it looks like all of the UI images are blurry, but the anims and fonts are fine. Perhaps there's a shader difference that can explain it?

Um, IDK. You tell me, lol. ^^'It may have something to do with our graphics cards. One similarity I've seen with the people posting their specs on these threads is that a lot of them seem to be on AMD Mobility integrated cards. Or I could be wrong...Would anything in our log.txt files give you guys a clue as to the nature of the problem? It says something about textures and stuff....or I dunno. I'm quite technologically stupid ^^'Well, here's mine, if it matters...Starting upDon't Starve: 80816Build Date: 2013-07-04_13-15-23THREAD - started 'GAClient' (6308)HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()cGame::InitializeOnMainThreadWindowManager::InitializeWindowManager::SetFullscreen(0, 1366, 768, 60)GLInfo~~~~~~GL_VENDOR: Google Inc.GL_RENDERER: ANGLE (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series)GL_VERSION: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 1.0.0.2249)GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00 (ANGLE 1.0.0.2249)OpenGL extensions (18, 18):GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blitGL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisampleGL_ANGLE_instanced_arraysGL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_orderGL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5GL_ANGLE_texture_usageGL_ANGLE_translated_shader_sourceGL_EXT_read_format_bgraGL_EXT_robustnessGL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888GL_EXT_texture_storageGL_OES_get_program_binaryGL_OES_packed_depth_stencilGL_OES_rgb8_rgba8GL_OES_standard_derivativesGL_OES_texture_npotGL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 8192GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS = 16GL_MAX_RENDERBUFFER_SIZE = 8192GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS = 8192, 8192GL_MAX_VARYING_VECTORS = 10GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS = 16GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_VECTORS = 254GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS = 4GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_VECTORS = 2214 compressed texture formatstexture format 0x83f0texture format 0x83f1texture format 0x83f2texture format 0x83f3cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()cGame::StartPlayingLOADING LUADoLuaFile data/scripts/main.luaDoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.luadata/scripts/main.lua(125,1) running main.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(75,1) Could not load modindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Birdcage! Could not find modinfo.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Test Tools! Could not find modinfo.luaLOADING LUA SUCCESSC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(210,1) loaded profileC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(65,1) loaded saveindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(61,1) LOAD FEC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(65,1) LOAD FE: doneReset() returningCollecting garbage...lua_gc took 0.01 secondslua_close took 0.01 secondsReleaseAllReleaseAll FinishedcGame::StartPlayingLOADING LUADoLuaFile data/scripts/main.luaDoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.luadata/scripts/main.lua(125,1) running main.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(75,1) Could not load modindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Birdcage! Could not find modinfo.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Test Tools! Could not find modinfo.luaLOADING LUA SUCCESSC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(210,1) loaded profileC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(65,1) loaded saveindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(67,1) LOAD BEC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(71,1) LOAD BE: doneC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(329,1) Loading Nav GridC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stats.lua(294,1) Sending sessions start stats...C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stats.lua(295,1) {"user":"116155067@steam","season":"summer","map_meta":{"build_version":"79484","level_id":"SURVIVAL_DEFAULT","seed":1372569062},"day":37,"save_id":"116155067@steam-1372569060-1","branch":"release_modded","mode":"survival","Session":{"Loads":{"Mods":{"list":[],"mod":false}}},"build":"80816"}SendProfileStats::{"user":"116155067@steam","season":"summer","map_meta":{"build_version":"79484","level_id":"SURVIVAL_DEFAULT","seed":1372569062},"day":37,"save_id":"116155067@steam-1372569060-1","branch":"release_modded","mode":"survival","Session":{"Loads":{"Mods":{"list":[],"mod":false}}},"build":"80816"}Reset() returningC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(305,1) toggle map!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(465,1) Can't find 100009 100009 - wendyC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stats.lua(334,1) Sending stats...C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stats.lua(335,1) {"stats":{"time_played":10533},"user":"116155067@steam","season":"summer","day":37,"save_id":"116155067@steam-1372569060-1","branch":"release_modded","mode":"survival","map_meta":{"build_version":"79484","level_id":"SURVIVAL_DEFAULT","seed":1372569062},"build":"80816"}SendProfileStats::{"stats":{"time_played":10533},"user":"116155067@steam","season":"summer","day":37,"save_id":"116155067@steam-1372569060-1","branch":"release_modded","mode":"survival","map_meta":{"build_version":"79484","level_id":"SURVIVAL_DEFAULT","seed":1372569062},"build":"80816"}C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(490,1) Saved survival_1 nilCollecting garbage...lua_gc took 0.46 secondslua_close took 0.73 secondsReleaseAllReleaseAll FinishedcGame::StartPlayingLOADING LUADoLuaFile data/scripts/main.luaDoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.luadata/scripts/main.lua(125,1) running main.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(75,1) Could not load modindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Birdcage! Could not find modinfo.luaC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(220,1) Warning loading mod: Test Tools! Could not find modinfo.luaLOADING LUA SUCCESSC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(210,1) loaded profileC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(65,1) loaded saveindexC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(61,1) LOAD FEC:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(65,1) LOAD FE: doneReset() returningCollecting garbage...lua_gc took 0.01 secondslua_close took 0.01 secondsORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 2data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 2data/fonts/talkingfont.zip - 2data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 2data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 2data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 2data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 2ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:data/shaders/debug_tri.ksh - 1ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 1data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 1data/fonts/talkingfont.zip - 1data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 1data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 1data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 1data/images/square.tex - 2data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 1HttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeShutting down

Edited by kbfirebird, 09 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#14 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Learned something interesting. It seems the blurry things respond directly to changing the mipmapping settings in my CCC. I had it on high performance; even on the next option up everything became vastly clearer and sharper again. Obviously, this has never been the case before. I've always had my mipmapping on high performance. Because my computer is awful, and I was already experiencing lag in the game prior to this update, which brought with it a whole bunch of weirdness and more performance problems. Changing these settings made it doubly so.

#15 Daxxal

Daxxal

• 38 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info kbfirebird. I was able to effect the blurry things the same way, I was set to high performance aswell. DS definitely seems more resource hungry after the strange new powers update though.

#16 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2045 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Learned something interesting. It seems the blurry things respond directly to changing the mipmapping settings in my CCC. I had it on high performance; even on the next option up everything became vastly clearer and sharper again. Obviously, this has never been the case before. I've always had my mipmapping on high performance. Because my computer is awful, and I was already experiencing lag in the game prior to this update, which brought with it a whole bunch of weirdness and more performance problems. Changing these settings made it doubly so.

We went out and bought the lowest-end Radeon that we could find (an HD6450 with 1gig of vram for about $50 :) ) The game looks normal on it. I installed CCC, and played with all of the texture settings that I could find, and could not reproduce the blurriness. Sigh.Can you post a screenshot of the option that you are setting in CCC? I couldn't find anything that specifically related to mipmapping.

#17 kbfirebird

kbfirebird

• 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Comparatively, HD 6450 isn't exactly low end. Most people I've seen who are having this issue have cards more in the 4000 - 5000 series range with older drivers. There were several more people posting their card stats in this thread regarding the problem. http://forums.kleien...-quality-assetsMy own card is a Mobility HD 4200. Laptop integrated, if that makes a difference. Attached File  CCCMipmap.png   129.05KB   51 downloadsHonestly, and forgive my ignorance, but I don't see what the huge difficulty with this is. In the update notes, I saw that you guys said you included a "Fix for some older integrated video cards". I don't know if that's what it is, but wouldn't it make sense direct suspicions there first?

Edited by kbfirebird, 11 July 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#18 nicholasnoll

nicholasnoll

• 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Exactly the same problem here with Mobility Radeon HD4570. HUD is blurry, menü logo is blurry, etc. It appeared right after the latest update. Waiting for a solution!

#19 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2045 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Comparatively, HD 6450 isn't exactly low end. Most people I've seen who are having this issue have cards more in the 4000 - 5000 series range with older drivers. There were several more people posting their card stats in this thread regarding the problem. http://forums.kleien...-quality-assetsMy own card is a Mobility HD 4200. Laptop integrated, if that makes a difference. Honestly, and forgive my ignorance, but I don't see what the huge difficulty with this is. In the update notes, I saw that you guys said you included a "Fix for some older integrated video cards". I don't know if that's what it is, but wouldn't it make sense direct suspicions there first?

It's actually hard to find older cards for sale, if you're looking for discrete parts. Even if we went to the store to buy a laptop, they don't tend to have integrated graphics cards beyond the past year or so. So we're stuck finding what we can, and bringing in older hardware from home. Since we're all computer people, even our old cast-off machines tend to be higher-end than most players'.Strangely, my copy of CCC doesn't have the same options as yours. I'll do some digging to see what I can find. The one I'm using is the newest one from ATI. Is yours a bit older, perhaps?The "fix for some older integrated cards" was some low-level bug fixing in our windowing library for the Intel GMA 3100. I happened to have an old file server in my closet that had that card, and we were able to find some problems with it by spending about two days of dev time. Mostly, it was working around driver bugs. I tried installing some other small indie games on the thing to see if they worked, and it was a real mixed bag. World of Goo, which came out a couple of years ago, didn't even start. So at least it's a common problem :)Anyway, from what I can gather, some versions of CCC allow you to override application mipmap settings and drop the top mips of large textures. In the last update we atlased our front end images (a requirement for supporting even lower-end cards), which put them into 2048x2048 textures. I'm not sure why the ATI utility people thought that arbitrarily dropping mips at the driver level was a good idea, but I'm just a lowly gameplay programmer.tl,dr; Old graphics cards and their broken-arsed drivers are the bane of my existence.

#20 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2045 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

[MENTION=53764]kbfirebird[/MENTION]What version of CCC are you using? I wonder if the mipmap option has been removed in more recent version of CCC, or if it only shows up for older cards. Can you try updating your drivers and CCC to see if the option goes away?