"FairyTales" suggestion-pack

I'm late to finding this thread as I've just joined the forums... but great job on all the visuals!My favorite ideas are a couple of the most popular... weather and mushrooms. Mobius187 mentioned above that weather has been suggested various times, and I could see it fitting in well with the ability to craft hats and clothing: perhaps a rainhat for wet days, a sunhat for hot ones, etc.I do want to point out that unless we're talking about lichen, rock isn't really an appropriate substrate for fungus. It would be much more likely in the real world to find mushrooms growing at the base of the pine trees or generally in the forest areas... especially after rain. So in particular rain + mushrooms would be two updates that could dovetail together. After the rains, you go on a mushroom hunt!

I like the giant crabs. I think it would be cool if they dropped crab meat and a new recipe could be crab rangoon. I agree with wrongenvelope I think it would be more logical to find mushrooms in the forest area. Perhaps there should be something new with the sunflowers since the research system has been changed.

I'm late to finding this thread as I've just joined the forums... but great job on all the visuals!My favorite ideas are a couple of the most popular... weather and mushrooms. Mobius187 mentioned above that weather has been suggested various times, and I could see it fitting in well with the ability to craft hats and clothing: perhaps a rainhat for wet days, a sunhat for hot ones, etc.I do want to point out that unless we're talking about lichen, rock isn't really an appropriate substrate for fungus. It would be much more likely in the real world to find mushrooms growing at the base of the pine trees or generally in the forest areas... especially after rain. So in particular rain + mushrooms would be two updates that could dovetail together. After the rains, you go on a mushroom hunt!

Very legit point actually :)

Unless they're magic mushrooms... take THAT logic! :p

"It's BETA!!" and "It's MAGIC" seem to be universal explanation to anything...

Just off-hand, "magic" does not mean the total absence of logic. It just means that the mechanism of the "way it works" is hidden from ordinary user, obscure to her or him.

I also did love all of the ideas, and the drowings (especially the Vampire Crypt :D) and also though that the sunflowers and the trolls are kinda... weird :p . What if you were able to plant again the sunflowers, and in order to fertilize them, you would need a rare material (sun-dust or something :p) that is hard to attain. Then , every 5-10 days, they would glow for a night, making it possible to stay near them, as a light source (just an opinion :p ). By the way, about the "It would make it harder and overfilled with giant dangerous things", IMHO it would make it much more fun, as it is way too easy even now.Anyway, like i said, i reallly liked all of your suggestions, and would really like to see them in the game!

Edited by DarknesS
Changed minor details

"It's BETA!!" and "It's MAGIC" seem to be universal explanation to anything...

Someone doesn't have a sense of humor. :p

Just off-hand, "magic" does not mean the total absence of logic. It just means that the mechanism of the "way it works" is hidden from ordinary user, obscure to her or him.

And...

Ehem, if you want MAGIC mushrooms, those grow out of cow manure. But if you want MAGICALLY UNREAL WOW THESE ARE SO WEIRD mushrooms, then anything's game. :p

Ironically I wouldn't want "magic" mushrooms in the game, but this was too hard to pass up commenting on. :pIn other threads I've suggested mushrooms would grow either in forest or underground cavern biomes. In addition, I would like a variety of effects associated with mushrooms so they could be used for eating and healing/curing or cause poisoning and hallucinations. Furthermore, I believe that the effects shouldn't be locked down to a specific mushroom forever (i.e. red mushrooms are poisonous), rather every new game the effects should be randomized so until a player tests a mushroom in their game they won't know what type it is.

Furthermore, I believe that the effects shouldn't be locked down to a specific mushroom forever (i.e. red mushrooms are poisonous), rather every new game the effects should be randomized so until a player tests a mushroom in their game they won't know what type it is.

The Nintendo DS game "Lost in Blue" did this exact thing. I literally ended up playing that game with a notepad because of such details. In each new game, the mushroom effects would be randomized, so a blue mushroom that was very nourishing before might end up being deadly poisonous. Likewise, one that restored the fatigue meter before might end up draining it.

Someone doesn't have a sense of humor. :p

Quite the opposite. It's the kind of humor with the poker face on ;|But in fact, there are so many people who take "it is magic, so no questioning please" explanation seriously, that I felt I had to say something aloud..In regard to the second part, it sums up to "it is technology, so ... "

The Nintendo DS game "Lost in Blue" did this exact thing. I literally ended up playing that game with a notepad because of such details.

As I recall there were the three meters: thirst, hunger, and stamina. Then you could be injured, which was health. In most survival games I would think these are the only meters you would ever need. However, since Don't Starve is influenced by H.P. Lovecraft I'm sure that's why the Devs opted to include a sanity meter. Under the old Chaosium "Call of Cthulhu" RPG rules health, power (i.e. magic), and sanity were the three stats that fluctuated throughout a game. So it's not surprising to see its appearance in Don't Starve.

In each new game, the mushroom effects would be randomized, so a blue mushroom that was very nourishing before might end up being deadly poisonous. Likewise, one that restored the fatigue meter before might end up draining it.

Yup. This is what we need in Don't Starve. My suggestion was also influenced by a Japanese survival horror manga called "7 Seeds" in which the Earth is hit by a meteor, but selected humans were cryogenically frozen and later awoken thousands of years in the future to a "New Earth" populated by all sorts of strange creatures and plants. At one point a particularily heartless woman is "testing" mushrooms she gathered on another person by having him eat them or testing how they work to heal injuries. Needless to say she learned which mushrooms/plants were good and bad through these experiments. Without anyone for the player to test mushrooms on it would be up to them to try them out... see the results... and then work from there. Randomizing it would allow for players to keep that sense of forboding whenever they eat a new mushroom for the first time.

Quite the opposite. It's the kind of humor with the poker face on ;|

Right-o. :)

But in fact, there are so many people who take "it is magic, so no questioning please" explanation seriously, that I felt I had to say something aloud..

Heh. I was reminded of the Treehouse of Horrors episode from the Simpsons where Lucy Lawless (i.e. Xena) has that open forum at a convention and her fans keep bringing up irregularities in various episodes, but she waves them off with answers like "evil wizard", basically saying it was due to magic. :p

In regard to the second part, it sums up to "it is technology, so ... "

Oh, sorry, I wasn't asking for an explanation (of logic)! I was actually just adding your comment to the one made by wrongenvelope, as you both made similar comments about "magic mushrooms". :)

Well, I guess the mushroom question is now obsolete... I guess they figured it was more realistic on the ground. I don't blame them.And I can't rule out rain too, since we have it ! Can't wait to see if it has some similar effects to the ones we discussed and I wrote in the first page. Hum.