smooth-landing

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Save file bieng deleted when we update Dont Starve with new content, is this true?

don't starve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 J20hawkz

J20hawkz

• 330 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

This is a discussion I'm having over at the steam discussion thread on Dont Starve. Can anyone have a read of it especially my parts and make some sense of what is bieng said please. Thanks. http://steamcommunit...24774521591291/
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves". —Lao Tzu

Guide, Bugs

Appreciation, Beariger, Responsibility, Suggestions
Wargs&Hounds

#2 Palpetinus

Palpetinus
  • i report u

• 3870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

When you activate the cave beta thingy, the game uses another location of your savefiles. That doesn't mean your savefiles are lost, though.
When you switch back to the normal build, you get your old saves back.
The devs are always trying their best not to delete your savefiles by accident.

EDIT: Of course that means, when the game updates normally (which will be today/tomorrow, depending where you live) you keep all your savefiles.

If you're new here, I'd suggest you to read this thread I made.

Proud member of the Dapper Den.

Herpderphurr I iz not nativ englsh so im allowd to mak al de grammer nd splling errors bcs it juhstifies my poor eduction trololo.

#3 tehMugwump

tehMugwump
  • Handsome!

• 1856 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Your save games are still there, just named differently.

Game Save Locations:

Stand alone:
C:\Users\**yourID**\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\save

Steam:
C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\10389473\219740 (varies)
(just search for survival_1 to find the directory)

Chrome: (randomly named)
C:\Users\*yourID*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\File System\000(varies)\p\00(varies)

=========================
Best to go there and back them up just to be safe.

This is a discussion I'm having over at the steam discussion thread on Dont Starve. Can anyone have a read of it especially my parts and make some sense of what is bieng said please. Thanks.

http://steamcommunit...24774521591291/

Edited by tehMugwump, 21 May 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#4 J20hawkz

J20hawkz

• 330 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Exactly. So just to clarify as I posted the same link over at that thread so peolple can read comments here. I am currently at day 81, when I update my game will I be able to access caves in my day 81 game?Make it a simple yes if this comment is correct or a no with a simple explanation. Some people over on the steam discussion find it hard to understand sometimes.
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves". —Lao Tzu

Guide, Bugs

Wargs&Hounds

#5 Snob

Snob
  • I'm Different

• 3097 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes, if your world was generated after the game's release (April 23rd). All basalt will turn into pugged stones, which you can then access the caves.

#6 Palpetinus

Palpetinus
  • i report u

• 3870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

Exactly. So just to clarify as I posted the same link over at that thread so peolple can read comments here.

I am currently at day 81, when I update my game will I be able to access caves in my day 81 game?

Make it a simple yes if this comment is correct or a no with a simple explanation. Some people over on the steam discussion find it hard to understand sometimes.

If the save is not too old, there will be a basalt rock somewhere on the map right now. WHen the game gets updated today/tomorrow, this basalt rock transforms into the sinkhole (cave entrance).

So, simple: Yes.

EDIT: Ninja'd by 3 minutes. Oh god.

Herpderphurr I iz not nativ englsh so im allowd to mak al de grammer nd splling errors bcs it juhstifies my poor eduction trololo.

#7 J20hawkz

J20hawkz

• 330 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

Thanks. I knew this to be the case, but sometimes its best to get the opinion of more than one person.

Guide, Bugs

Wargs&Hounds

#8 Palpetinus

Palpetinus
  • i report u

• 3870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Thanks. I knew this to be the case, but sometimes its best to get the opinion of more than one person.

Good.Now someone better close this thread before someone sais something stupid. [MENTION=6300]Snob[/MENTION], hit it!

#9 Snob

Snob
  • I'm Different

• 3097 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

uH oH!!too latez!!11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: don't starve