New Research Plan

Syd

i think rather than wiping everything, you should be able to keep some of the lower tier items. or even, have some items unlocked via research, and some of the more advanced items unlocked via other means, such as your system.

The whole point is they want to kill grind. If you keep some low tier items, that's even worse. You buy the game, and have to grind for a spear/log suit. Nobody wants to do that, grinding is boring.

Kevin, have you thought of the red gem having other uses besides an amulet (please make it give-able to pigs to give 'em the *BLING*)? Maybe as an ingredient for crafting a defensive item against, you know, the upcoming deerclops? or make a blood ring/tiara (the precious!) that would drain your health for a temporary buff in either attack/defense or no stun (hp drain so it's not op)...or you wouldn't want the game to become some sort of RPG? Also, maybe I missed it but when I used a beefalo horn to move herd to my grass land island, they walked back all the way to the savanna biome, I even had a small patch of savanna but they still prefered to go back... is it because some of the herd was left behind since you can only move 5 at a time or it's cause of lack of savanna?

In next update, research machines will lose their ability to destroy my trash items, please make some trash bin, cause i need to trash that 10% armors and weapons somewhere.

If you drop them near the edge of the water they should disappear after a little while./Just guessing

Hey how about we leave the points in but make them higher, and keep the prototype thing so the first time you have to build the item/building it will cost more resources. I also think that every time you die, you should forget 2 or 3 of the items you researched from before, which can be decided randomly or the last things you researched. Also, if you are still reading this kevin, please see my suggestion on the pig king in the feedback section. Thank you!

For the new idea(s) on learning, you could have research built into the use of items as well. People do learn a little as they preform actions. Just have it on a degrading learning curve so people can't just spam an action over and over to learn things. That way, them doing things also help. I personally don't think the current system's an issue but I can see where it does leave situations where people farm for items to give to the learning tree. Instead of forgetting 2-3 items per death, why not have it be items used regularly - 2-3 times within the last ~30 days - have a higher probability of being remembered for that specific character. There should be no reason why Wilson's knowledge passes to the other characters or why Wilson remembers something he used on day 12 after dying on day 100. People forget things. It's part of life. The system would allow for a benefit to new players by allowing them to have information to survive longer as well as punish people for living forever without keeping up on their skills.That could also be an attribute built into the game (forgetting). You learn things but if you don't use them in a couple weeks/months they turn back into prototypes or are completely forgotten. People may grind to remember everything or the things they need but they'll be doing it on their terms. This could also apply to the points they currently have as we don't remember everything we learn. I think that that would also help out with things like winter as you may not do something for a couple of months because you don't have the experience to just do it again. You need to practice or every re-learn it.

Once RP is fixed, I'm going to try to figure out what to do about XP - the last remaining arbitrary grind in the game. I think it's less bad, but it's still not great as-is. Having to die to get your XP is a drag, at the very least.Thoughts?

I take into account games like Realm of the Mad God where dying is an important part of the experience. Ok, dying is a drag, but the game should also encourage that dying can be fun too. At least that's just me. Otherwise it would be painful to lose at day 60 and not have any kind of reward for it.

Why not get rid of both research machines? They are only waste of resources, and we are limited with items we have, you can't unlock meat effigy until you get enough beard hairs anyway. If the machines must stay, maybe give them some functionality beside unlocking items.

Why not get rid of both research machines? They are only waste of resources, and we are limited with items we have, you can't unlock meat effigy until you get enough beard hairs anyway. If the machines must stay, maybe give them some functionality beside unlocking items.

Use them as garbage machinelike what will you do with ur 1% armors and tools?

Use them as garbage machinelike what will you do with ur 1% armors and tools?

I think that function will be gone with next update. How about item decomposing? Like you put some almost used up items and you get back some resources.

Hi Kevin,

I haven't actually been grinding my research numbers. Instead, I've fed the machine the red-zone foods in my fridge when convenient.

It's like the only aspect of a play-through I can keep even after death, which I find very nice. One aspect that makes dying undesirable but not too devastating (imagine dying at Day 381, yup) as to make people RAGE QUIT is how everything except one's recipes and research reset. This is cool; this continuation of knowledge left by my last attempt is something like a legacy and really separates this game from mini-arcade-stuff-there-be-no-end on Newgrounds [which isn't as fun, and feels like a waste of time].

While I don't like the coming changes as much because of the taking out of any sort of linkage between one survival attempt and the next; Research Points and Recipes, I can see the angle the developers are coming from (killing grinding etc). And as a game developer, you know what's best.

Still, I'd like to make a suggestion to consider:

Make check-boxes in settings such as "Recipe carry-over (to next world if you hop worlds)" so we can play the game in the way we most love :). This lets the hardcore survivalist have his start-over at the same time lets Mr. Greedy have his legacy.

Let me know what you think,

Arc

Edited by Archenstone

...Instead of forgetting 2-3 items per death, why not have it be items used regularly - 2-3 times within the last ~30 days - have a higher probability of being remembered for that specific character. There should be no reason why Wilson's knowledge passes to the other characters or why Wilson remembers something he used on day 12 after dying on day 100. People forget things. It's part of life. The system would allow for a benefit to new players by allowing them to have information to survive longer as well as punish people for living forever without keeping up on their skills....That could also be an attribute built into the game (forgetting).

This 'forgetting' mechanism can be countered by 'documentation' - a new functionality giving papyrus legitimacy as a valuable resource! :DSo far, they're only used to make bird cages (which isn't very useful since the "even seeds rot" update - before it was almost a way to store food in a preservative manner - now, I don't know why I'd ever build one besides for aesthetics - maybe for as crock-pot filler? Oh wait, you can't! LOL). Edited by Archenstone

BUT I LIKED RESEARCH POINTS!Does this mean wickerbottom is not needed or does she get a discount on items to unlock?

Wickerbottom has a free research level. What this means is:A.) Anything she needed a science machine to make she can make without a science machine. She can literally create a spear within seconds of the beginning of the game.B.) Anything she needed an alchemy engine to make she can make with only a science machine. That greatly reduces the cost of higher tier research.