Nov 27 Preview!

Kevin

so if I get that right, while our permanent inventory slots are reduced, the overal available slots are increased by 4. I admit 4 is not as much as I had hoped for, but it is indeed a start. if we get some movable storage later on, I guess we are set. I might again suggest something like "the luggage" from the disc world books... ;)

That would seem to be the case. unless hand, head and body counts as slots. Then it will only be +1.

Still, my inventory is not very cluttered so Im fine with both :)

while I first thought that it would indeed include the 3 slots you mentioned, I just decided to ignore that, because +1 would be very, very lame :D

My inventory is not that cluttered either, thats not the problem, the main problem is that my basecamp tends to get cluttered witch chests!

• Developer

Under the new inventory system you have 10 general-purpose inventory slots which are bound to hotkeys. You have the usual three equip slots. The backpack (if you are wearing it) adds 8 more general inventory slots. So you're at +4 from the current system, and you can have different themed backpacks sitting around if you'd like.

I *may* increase the base inventory to 12, and hotkey them to - and =. I haven't decided yet - it's a gameplay balancing and HUD layout issue.

You can't put backpacks in chests, other backpacks, or your normal inventory slots. It is either on the ground, or your back. This is to prevent the bags-of-bags-of-bags problem.

The backpack takes up your body slot. So, you have to decide if you want to wear it or something else. Decisions!

I bet Wilson's backpack is made of beard hair, and perhaps with a wild guess there is no more effigy.. And instead we use Wilson's themed backpacks to transfer item's across single world's.

I think the idea they are going for is that each character has unique abilities that is very important, using tents is going to be a must. Wilson can gather more materials than anyone else, but with proper materials can craft everyone else's based off the theme?

Willow can make cheap charcoal, and play it safe and you can traverse the night with Willow, you just have to be a bit more patient and careful.

Wolfgang make's hunting a lot easier, and is better suited for defending camp at night.

Which is why you level up to get access to them giving you more options and improvements, the main premise for this game is that as you play more it gradually gives you all the tools you need to survive, if you use your brain at least. Fair but challenging in the long run!

Loving the new additions and the communication from the devs.

I'm just curious, with the addition of flame hounds, i'm assuming they set the surroundings on fire? Are you going to allow other possible means of regrowth for grass tufts, berry bushes and saplings? So they aren't always finite resources?

I'm assuming flame hounds are to deter against the "base camp" playstyle.

While I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and punishing difficulty spikes, i'm not solely limited to that hardcore perspective, and i can imagine some people might be a tad upset, if their entire worlds berry bush/grass, etc collection goes up in flames.

Without some option of recourse that is.... no matter how slow and painful it could be.

I'm happy either way, but i thought i'd throw it out there for consideration.

Edited by Perpetual_Sin

Could you please move the camera rotation buttons closer to WASD? Preferably to Q and E. Or just one button that rotates the amera around in one direction, for example Z?

And a key that closes every opened element on the screen would be nice (like the inventory, the crafting bar and open cauldrons and chests)

All the new stuff sound pretty cool.

edit: Ok, thanks guys!

Edited by yigru

OK, we're starting to wrap up our sprint, and I can talk about what's coming up in the next major update:

Hounds - Hounds will attack you every so often. They will warn you in advance. Prepare! Or Die!

Flame Hounds - Some Hounds are red. Watch out for them!

Blowdarts - You can craft sleeping darts, and shoot them at things!

Bee Mine - You can make a landmine that is full of bees and when something steps on it the bees come out.

Better Bugnet - You can capture bees and butterflies alive. You can make new flowers by releasing butterflies!

Dapper Vest - It's so dapper!

Scared Rabbits - If you attack one rabbit, all rabbits nearby will run to their holes.

Better sleeping - rabbits and birds can be put to sleep.

Backpack - Wilson will have 10 inventory slots by default, which are all visible all the time. He can build and wear a backpack that adds an additional 8 slots if he has it equipped.

The Amulet - The amulet can finally be worn. If you die while wearing it, you consume it and come back to life. You can also craft new amulets, but it is made from very rare stuff.

Inventory Hotkeys - 1-10 are like right clicking on the corresponding inventory slot.

Football Helmet - Keeps your noggin safe. The feather hat attracts more birds.

Action Button - Pressing space will attack the nearest enemy, or pick up / harvest / chop the nearest appropriate object.

Bloom - Fires are prettier!

for hounds that is awesome but can you tame them or are they wild

for flame hounds it sounds awesome and i want to set the wrold on fire muahhahaha

for blowdarts I wanna make a beffalo go beddy bye FOREVER

bee mines where can i start IT SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME imagine a were pig chaseing you and he steps on it

scared rabbits I WIll FINALLY have a challenging hunting them wee rabbits

Thank you these are awesome updates and will willow be immune to fire hounds?

Heh I love it when these things crop up.

Linked in and memed out.

We love our devs.

I've been in plenty of small studio betas never have I seen a team that so enjoyed interacting with their players. Bravo.

Also if ever you pimp the strip I want like a footnote. *Royal is the awesome guy who found this for for me.

Something like that.8-)