Nov 27 Preview!

Kevin

• Developer

OK, we're starting to wrap up our sprint, and I can talk about what's coming up in the next major update:

Hounds - Hounds will attack you every so often. They will warn you in advance. Prepare! Or Die!

Flame Hounds - Some Hounds are red. Watch out for them!

Blowdarts - You can craft sleeping darts, and shoot them at things!

Bee Mine - You can make a landmine that is full of bees and when something steps on it the bees come out.

Better Bugnet - You can capture bees and butterflies alive. You can make new flowers by releasing butterflies!

Dapper Vest - It's so dapper!

Scared Rabbits - If you attack one rabbit, all rabbits nearby will run to their holes.

Better sleeping - rabbits and birds can be put to sleep.

Backpack - Wilson will have 10 inventory slots by default, which are all visible all the time. He can build and wear a backpack that adds an additional 8 slots if he has it equipped.

The Amulet - The amulet can finally be worn. If you die while wearing it, you consume it and come back to life. You can also craft new amulets, but it is made from very rare stuff.

Inventory Hotkeys - 1-10 are like right clicking on the corresponding inventory slot.

Football Helmet - Keeps your noggin safe. The feather hat attracts more birds.

Action Button - Pressing space will attack the nearest enemy, or pick up / harvest / chop the nearest appropriate object.

Bloom - Fires are prettier!

Edited by Kevin

Awesome update.

Tamable hounds in the future, for a faster, less lycanthropic companion? I'm also imagining how handy a "hound" dog specifically could be in a world ripe with birds and rabbits to hunt.

I love how we'll get new everything. Enemies, objects, tweaked behaviors, tweaked interface, additional controls and better graphics.

And you are still faithful to your philosophy of under-promise and over-deliver?

I don't know how you guys manage to launch the game on a new (very popular) platform, with all the customer service that entails, organize the forums and still make time to add a bunch of new content for the game.

I guess with Mark of the Ninja out of the way you are now all dedicated to Don' Starve?

Your forgetting Eets. And my camp is going to bee (see what I did there?) soo covered in mines it's not even funny.:D

You are right, how could I forget him? eating all that stuff... and here WE are, starving.

And I see your mine filled camp and raise you a rocky spider den filled with mines. It's way more fun :D

eating all that stuff... and here WE are, starving.

When I first saw both of these titles I made a similar observation of the fact that their working on these two titles simultaneously that involve not having enough food and eating lots of food. Feels like a creative director was fasting then binged after it when the names came to them.

Since hounds will be introduced, maybe tigers/feline creatures can also be added? And it would be so awesome if Sooner or later, there would be an option to tame the creatures like how we befriend the pig men.. :) They could serve as guardians (you can command them to "stay" at your base/farm; or "guard" you when you're exploring. (On another note, maybe we could also add caves on the map to explore?)

If everyone is gaining the ability to resurrect, and Wilson is gaining a backpack that (I presume) only he can wear, will the beard still have a purpose? It's sort of implied that Wilson's 'ability' is creating the effigy, which no one else can do. I can only assume the effigy will no longer be necessary, and Wilson's getting the backpack to make up for it. But what of his beard?

maaan, finally some hotkeys, it sounds so awesome.

I'm quite tired of fast-clicking on icons, especially at nights when I'm catching fireflies and forced to switch between net and torch. It's especially critical for Willow since she starts fire every time I'm too slow to switch back and burns down whole forest even if I dont want to.

Fast-switch is awesome, thank you Kevin :3

Thanks for reminding me. I'll make them more rare from mounds.

I would suggest making the amulets currently in game not working as the new ones to be honest, right now I have 3 of them and still more than a dozend graves to plunder. the general idea is great, and making it from rare materials is great too, just prevent people from hording them before the update comes :)

If everyone is gaining the ability to resurrect, and Wilson is gaining a backpack that (I presume) only he can wear, will the beard still have a purpose? It's sort of implied that Wilson's 'ability' is creating the effigy, which no one else can do. I can only assume the effigy will no longer be necessary, and Wilson's getting the backpack to make up for it. But what of his beard?

Who says there can't be 2 options for ressurection.

Whatever they do they shouldnt remove his growing berd, I really loved the feature first time I saw it grow. I wasn't expecting something like that from the game!

Maybe we can make a wilson decoy in the future, to lure dogs and enemies into traps.

Maybe we can get a spike-pit!