- - - - -

Don't Starve > Android

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Green

Green

• 225 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

I know the option of Don't Starve coming on Android, Windows Phone, or iOS comes after having it for both Mac and Linux, but when it comes out, will it have a "cloud" option to play the worlds and the levels you have on your pc ?

#2 Snob

Snob
  • I'm Different

• 3452 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

I'm just saying, but probably not.

#3 michiko

michiko

• 111 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Wait so is Don't Starve on those devices now? I was going to make a separate post for this, but I feel like I can get the answer here.If not....and incoming really noob question....I have an Android Tablet and an iPhone 5 ... can I just get "Chrome" on those devices to then interface with Don't Starve? Now sure how efficent I'd be without my good ole' WSAD

#4 Green

Green

• 225 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Wait so is Don't Starve on those devices now? I was going to make a separate post for this, but I feel like I can get the answer here.

If not....and incoming really noob question....I have an Android Tablet and an iPhone 5 ... can I just get "Chrome" on those devices to then interface with Don't Starve?

Now sure how efficent I'd be without my good ole' WSAD

You cannot play on mobile yet. iPoo sucks :c

#5 tehMugwump

tehMugwump
  • Handsome!

• 1869 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

The mobile experience would be doomed to suck, much like every other 'mobile device' game. Best avoided.

#6 Diezen

Diezen

• 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

The mobile experience would be doomed to suck, much like every other 'mobile device' game. Best avoided.

Implying FFIII, FFIV, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, etc suck.There's a lot of shovelware but you do find those few gems of apps that are really nice to have.

#7 jxsl13

jxsl13

• 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I would really love to play Don't Starve on a Android tablet, e.g. Nexus 7, because that would just let you experiente this funny game in most likely every situation and everywhere. For example you would just change the keyboard keys to on screen buttons and the right and left mouse button to like Left = normal touchright = long touchI would quite like that experience.

#8 vingw

vingw
  • Reserved for: Title

• 2328 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

I see what you mean...GOOD: Plants VS Zombies, made for mobile, made better on PCBAD: Minecraft, made for PC, made more difficult to control on Mobile
Wonderful avatar made by the lovely AlbinoWyvern~

I have drawn Eet 25 times, and as 19 different members of the forum! And counting!

#9 Alzarath

Alzarath

• 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

I agree that most games, if not all, are better on PC. However, I disagree with it being a bad idea to port to Android, etc. One of the first things I noticed when I started playing was how the game looked very compatible with a touch screen interface. I could see two options for control schemes, one with a joystick/action buttons being overlayed that worked like just using a keyboard, then one that simply works by tapping around to move and stuff. If the game was indeed released for tablets, I have little doubt that plenty of people would buy it. It'd actually give the mobile market a fun game, which seems to be very lacking, instead mostly relying on cash/time sinks.

#10 Kanathras

Kanathras

• 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

I see what you mean...GOOD: Plants VS Zombies, made for mobile, made better on PCBAD: Minecraft, made for PC, made more difficult to control on Mobile

Plants Vs Zombies was made for PC first.

#11 jbeetle

jbeetle
  • Señor Member

• 3019 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

I was just about to say that. unfortunately, PVZ2 will be made for iOS first.
My Let's Play Youtube Channel
Immersion is not broken by unrealistic mechanics - it's broken by inconsistent mechanics that violate expectations.
Click Here to see a cute little Chester I made give it a thumbs up if you like

#12 Att3r0

Att3r0

• 31 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

DS on tablet would be fabulous. You can do everything by clicking only the RMB actions could cause some problem but i think taping with 2 fingers could simulate that well. Optionaly there could be some buttons that you could move around and assign some functions to them.Sadly however DS seem to cause quite a load on CPU and as it is mobile devices wouldnt handle it, maybe next gen that is about to come but not sure. Probably it is possible to tweak it - smaller world , fewer objects some despawning if there is too much leftovers on ground .... I think at some point there will be mobile version ;]

#13 SharpNomo

SharpNomo

• 628 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Ehh I am fine with it on PC. I don't really think Mobile games are even that great. Don't Starve is a game that can require a lot of focus, and mobile games are more like time wasters.

Walrus bros unite! Praise the Sun! \-.-/

#14 vingw

vingw
  • Reserved for: Title

• 2328 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Well, if it was, keep in mind that I'm as dumb as a brick.
Wonderful avatar made by the lovely AlbinoWyvern~

I have drawn Eet 25 times, and as 19 different members of the forum! And counting!

#15 Kanathras

Kanathras

• 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

As long as a game only require mouse left click, it can be made for smartphone with success :)

#16 POWnED

POWnED

• 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

you may test DS on android devices that are dual core+ using a remote control program such as team viewer or a paid one like iDisplay and having a good internet connection and speed then you'll see how sucky is to play this game on a touch platform

#17 Xjurwi

Xjurwi
  • Sketchy

• 3289 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

It would fail horribly, Don't Starve is more fit for the PC.

Selfish and arrogant are harsh words..I would prefer "I think I'm slightly better than some of you and I think I am morally better than most of you to a certain degree point but that all depends on what you consider morally right".

1yd8d5p_by_thesketchyside-d71s5am.png

#18 Mathspy

Mathspy
  • The Storyteller

• 740 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I am not so into the idea, and the Devs said they are already busy with supporting current devices so let's not try to make them work for more currently, maybe after finishing the game totally they would realize it for more devices.
There is already a PS4 version so don't rush things.
And Chrome is still being nailed for Android and iOS. So no, no extensions or apps so far, but probably expect them soon
You're speaking to a Google Fan boy after all ♥

#19 randy_khoo

randy_khoo

• 134 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

Well, I am sort of a big Android fan...And frankly, most android tablets/phones today do support bluetooth mouse.left click usually works like a normal tap, while the right click would work like pressing the back button. Clicking mouse wheel would bring up the menu. (Honestly, i don't see how having a mouse would let you play DS on a tablet)Granted, the challenge with don't starve would be to incorporate the taps to the actions. And whether or not a long tap would be sufficient to differentiate itself from a normal tap.Technically, they could make DS on Android tablets compatible with a gamepad. And personally, I would be more than willing to invest in a bluetooth gamepad just to play DS on Android.