smooth-landing

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Meat effigies or amulets?..

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one do you prefer? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one do you prefer?

1. Meat effigies (43 votes [70.49%])

Percentage of vote: 70.49%

2. Amulets (18 votes [29.51%])

Percentage of vote: 29.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Snob

Snob
  • I'm Different

• 3093 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

I've been having trouble not dying; I keep forgetting to wear my amulets. Unfortunately, I prefer to use Wes throughout my adventure, so meat effigies are not as available. You can stack and collect amulets without any consequences, while you cannot have as many meat effigies up. I'm debating on which item is better.So, here's a poll. I would like to hear your reasoning behind which item you think is better.

#2 MisterLock

MisterLock

• 496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

I think being extra carefull and having a meat effigy is better.From what i learnt,my experience with amulets,I kind of always forget to put them on my char when I'm in a dire situation,because most of the time I still got like 30 % logsuit and pig helm with like 7 spider warriors behind me,thinking i will rezist.I will take the 55 health as Wes just be very very carefull like I said.Always bring two logsuits with you and wear a pig helm most of the time you don't need sanity or heat
The Bacon is a lie.

#3 Palpetinus

Palpetinus
  • i report u

• 3870 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Meat effigies. Because i don't have to care about surviving in combat at all.Not playing as wilson? Farming beardlings.

If you're new here, I'd suggest you to read this thread I made.

Proud member of the Dapper Den.

Herpderphurr I iz not nativ englsh so im allowd to mak al de grammer nd splling errors bcs it juhstifies my poor eduction trololo.

#4 Avarice

Avarice

• 404 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Same as Pal, like we talked about before, I just don't get the point in amulets. It's easy to go insane real quick, (wormholes/monster meat), and smash some bunnies for beard hair. I even do this on Wilson because his beard takes too long to grow. You will get a couple of free Krampus sack attempts while you are killing bunnies too. :)

#5 Snob

Snob
  • I'm Different

• 3093 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

I'm the only one who "digs" these gems, huh? (pun intended) Give the gem some love!Amulets can stack, and they put enemies to sleep, it's useful in its own way.

#6 Alvhem

Alvhem
  • The Happy Pessimist

• 1226 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I think dying is part of the game so I rarely use any of them.But I do craft a single effigy when I play as Wilson.
I deleted my old signature and now I have no idea what to replace it with.
Here, have a crab (V){o.o}(V)

#7 Gigahappytown

Gigahappytown

• 421 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

amulets if you know you are going to die or at risk of dieing etc:Crossing a swamp on low hp with no armor. then amulets are good there or if you have no light source but a amulet the amulet will ressurect you and turn it to day.
A flower a day keeps the horrors away!

#8 Avarice

Avarice

• 404 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

My main issues with them are taking up an armor slot, and the rarity of the gem making them a late game craft compared to meat effigy.I keep a chest near my effigy with backup equipment as well...started doing this when I res'd in winter and almost died from freezing.

#9 Kittiko

Kittiko

• 454 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Attached File  why_not_both_8394.jpg   23.9KB   134 downloads

/10characters

#10 Avarice

Avarice

• 404 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

[MENTION=8626]Kittiko[/MENTION] Post = LOL :)

#11 Freckles

Freckles

• 246 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

I have never used a meat effigy, but I do like the amulet (when I remember to equip it). I think Kitti might have the right idea though. Why not make a meat effigy, but carry an amulet, too?Question: With a meat effigy, does your inventory remain where you died like with the amulet, or is it just gone forever?
My TF2 server IP: 74.91.115.175:27015 Come play with me!
Check out my Don't Starve Let's Plays
Subscribe to my live stream

#12 Mr.MonsterMeat

Mr.MonsterMeat

• 164 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

I have never used a meat effigy, but I do like the amulet (when I remember to equip it). I think Kitti might have the right idea though. Why not make a meat effigy, but carry an amulet, too?Question: With a meat effigy, does your inventory remain where you died like with the amulet, or is it just gone forever?

it stays there but you have to get to it.Now hurry up before the monster meat in ur inventory turns into rot!

#13 Tiny bone

Tiny bone

• 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Meat effigies FTW! But sometimes I miss the OP old tent to use Wolfgang's extra health :/

#14 LtShinySides

LtShinySides

• 1173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I personally like meat effegies more. They make me feel safe and I don't have to worry about changing to the amulet. Although the amulet allows you to keep all your meat as nothing will eat it as you die. Really it just depends on the situation and character and resources.
Save the Krampus!

#15 Jonah Hollow

Jonah Hollow

• 155 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

If you have a meat effigy, and an amulet on at the same time, what happens when you die? Which one takes priority?

#16 Kevin

Kevin
  • Man behind the curtain

• 2025 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think that amulets get used before effigies, but that's from memory.
'You get three cycles of grass per poop.'

#17 sirmentlegen

sirmentlegen
  • Senior Citizen

• 2884 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

I think that amulets get used before effigies, but that's from memory.

You are correct, i have a god-mode exploit from amulets.
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

Unofficial Bacon Lord of the forum.

#18 Silvi

Silvi

• 903 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Amulet. I've experienced my share of dissapointing deaths caused by meat effigy:- you revive where the effigy is, if you died next to it, enemies may still attack you and kill you right after you die- you drop your equipment where you fell. in winter it may get you killed (you lose your warm clothes and if you died a considerable distance away from your meat effigy, it's possible you won't survive - to prevent this you can of course make sure the place where the meat effigy is has some sort of supply chest nearby)- So far this has never happened to me, but in THEORY: deerkloppenz threaddeth upon the meat effigeth? Oooops.
"He that can smile at death, as we know him, who can flourish in the midst of diseases that kill off whole peoples. If such a one was to come from God, and not the Devil, what a force for good might he not be in this world of ours." - Bram Stoker, Dracula
Shameless advertizing much.

#19 Rayze Darr

Rayze Darr

• 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

TBH, I've never actually stuck with a world long enough to get any Red Gem drops. I've only had one Amulet, and it came into my possession via graverobbing. I died with it sitting in a chest at my base camp. The mission... it was not supposed to be a dangerous one.So, yeah, for me it's Meat Effigies strictly for the fact that I've actually used a Meat Effigy before.
Rayze Darr's Game Reviews!

Current reviews: "They Breathe," "Mass Effect 3," "Banjo-Kazooie," and "DmC: Devil May Cry." Expect a "Don't Starve" review soon after the game's launch!

Also check out my Don't Starve Poetry, featuring not only poems inspired by this game, but also previews for my upcoming fic, "Maxwell Presents: The Don't Starve Prime Time Extravaganza!"

#20 helointernet

helointernet

• 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

- you drop your equipment where you fell. in winter it may get you killed (you lose your warm clothes and if you died a considerable distance away from your meat effigy, it's possible you won't survive - to prevent this you can of course make sure the place where the meat effigy is has some sort of supply chest nearby)

@_@ I can't believe this didn't occur to me. I usually keep my meat effigy far away from my main camp and area where I fight hounds/werepigs (add deerclops to the list now) so that I won't get aggro'd again when I respawn. I didn't realize I might freeze to death upon respawning...