Draw Your Character into Don't Starve

How do you guys actually...draw these? I have a great idea for a character, but I havn't the slightest clue outside of basic photoshop and paint.

I like to draw them out first on paper with a mechanical pencil then scan them with my scanner/printer so I can work on them in photoshop. If you want to learn how to use paint and/or photoshop, I suggest looking it up on youtube and learning from there.
  • Like 1

How do you guys actually...draw these? I have a great idea for a character, but I havn't the slightest clue outside of basic photoshop and paint.

I draw with a pencil then outline with a sharpie pen and scan it in... if I want to get fancy I do a second outline and color using Gimpin the case of my select screen mockup I drew the pictures scanned them then used the lasso tool to move them over a screenshot of the real select screen and carefully manipulated the drawings to fit then made a separate layer where i re-traced the images digitally added color and shading then deleted the sketch layer and bound everything together (it took several hours ) Edited by stormfront

Broker blur: The Immigrant"My homeland was better"*Mysterious power**Can create a glow at night*Broker´s mysterious power is better chance of getting gold, sometimes random stuff happens like lighting striking enemies, spiders following you and helping you as pigs, spawning a thing for the wooden thing, discovering chunks in the map you havent explored, filling up your hunger, life, sanity.post-14734-13764592623275_thumb.jpg

I use MS paint, and use my mouse. Why? Because I'm too cheap to get any expensive drawing software or those drawing pad thingies, also because I enjoy the challenge. I use some of the brushes coupled with ctrl + and - to make the brush bigger and smaller. I draw a line, and if I'm not satisfied with that line, I press ctrl Z and draw the line over again. I do this until I have a sketch I'm satisfied with. Once I have a sketch I'm satisfied with, I use a thick brush to add color inside the sketch and make sure to try and get it close to the edges. When done coloring, I retrace the sketch lines to make it integrate with the coloring better.I'm still not fully satisfied with my drawing... I drew the initial sketch too much to the right, and I would have had issues trying to move it to the center without messing up the background image (since MS paint does not have layers). Oh well... I tried to compensate with the larger... banner thingamajig. Also I should have tried to add some more shadowing lines to the banner. Him being more white than the usual Don't Starve artstyle is intended though, because I tried to mix this style with the style of the PBF comic.Yay for outdated and overly complicated methods. Anywho, I like what I do because it shows that anyone can do it, as I rely more heavily on patience and obsessing over small details rather than being talented with a pencil.

Edited by Simski

Guest firdevans

I made up my own character, Truman and drew him into the Don't Starve Character Loading Screen. Post your characters here!

Give them a name, a title (i.e. Firestarter), a quote, and a special ability. Posted Image

Hi , how to make my own character ?

I usually use Paint tool SAI along with a drawing tablet, really easy and comfortable.

Since I'm a total noob to proper using of programs oft picture manipulating I had to use what I can to present you Walter, who hasn't got perks till ''Arm the natives'' is too OP...^^

He is a Scottish Royal Navy guy who has bagpipes as voice, see my signature for further details...^^

Posted Image

Edited by MilleniumCount

Hi I have a idea for a character too ^^I have no name for him but f you know a good name then says modest^^Skills: 50% faster speed,hits harder, only 75 healthabout him: He is a very stubborn scouts is pretty self-aware (it can only be expected as long he is still confident ^ ^ if he has to survive first ^^)Here is a ,,ingame´´ picture too i hope you like this :3Please vote for the character, it is my FIRST OF ALL MADE CHARACTER if someone have a name for it then says please humble ^ ^ (Sry my english is very bad :/ )

First of all welcome to the forums!

Hi I have a idea for a character too ^^I have no name for him but f you know a good name then says modest^^Skills: 50% faster speed,hits harder, only 75 healthabout him: He is a very stubborn scouts is pretty self-aware (it can only be expected as long he is still confident ^ ^ if he has to survive first ^^)

Well, I would say the best place for character ideas is the Suggestion thread.

Here is a ,,ingame´´ picture too i hope you like this :3

I'm sorry but I can't see a picture. How have you uploaded it. It works best with a link from an uploading platform like imgur.

Please vote for the character, it is my FIRST OF ALL MADE CHARACTER if someone have a name for it then says please humble ^ ^ (Sry my english is very bad :/ )

Your english isn't bad at all, perfectly understandable for me. ^^Can you think of a name starting with W.

Hi I have a idea for a character too ^^

I have no name for him but if you know a good name then says modest^^

Skills: 50% faster speed,hits harder, only 75 health

About him: He is a very stubborn scouts is pretty self-aware (it can only be expected as long he is still confident if he has to survive first ^^)

Please vote for the character, it is my FIRST OF ALL MADE CHARACTER if someone have a name for it then says please humble ^ ^ (Sry my english is very bad :/ )

(Sry i cant add him in the forum i dont know why D: )

If you've seen my first entry of ignoring it because there are no links of my pictures ^ ^

Sketch Art: http://metharium.deviantart.com/art/Dont-Starve-Custom-Character-367030317?q=gallery%3Ametharium&qo=1

Sketch Ingame: http://metharium.deviantart.com/art/Dont-Starve-Custom-Character-Ingame-367033088?q=gallery%3AMetharium%20randomize%3A1&qo=0

Edited by Metharium

You should be able to start a new thread in the Suggestion and Feedback section. There is a start new Thread button. You could even make a poll. How about this?Because I'm not sure if you get much feedback here in this thread, it was mostly for drawing the picture into the screen an not really for suggesting.And the pictures are nice.

You should be able to start a new thread in the Suggestion and Feedback section. There is a start new Thread button. You could even make a poll. How about this?Because I'm not sure if you get much feedback here in this thread, it was mostly for drawing the picture into the screen an not really for suggesting.And the pictures are nice.

Thank you very very much :DYes I could make a new theme specially for himI'll upload my progress and thenFull make a picture for him. But I'm onlyon a name for him and a portrait done for himI will then report back let me just time and makes proposals for aName (I've really no idea what to call it ^ ^)

post-29052-13764592705026_thumb.jpgThis character is based on me :3He can say things like: -it looks great on me.-it makes me look fat?-can i wear it with my AXE?when examinating things, and:-kill ugly mobs!-death style!-How fashionable!when atacking mobs.just a idea :D