Six Feet Under Release Notes (Steam - October 1st)

• Developer

post-209228-0-42472500-1380665216_thumb.

Six Feet Under is now live on Steam!

Other platforms coming shortly.

Changelist 86492:

Modding

• Required setpieces and prefabs are now specified in level files instead of being hardcoded in world gen. This means you no longer have to have teleportatos in your custom levels. Check out "ordered_story_setpieces" and "required_prefabs" in scripts/maps/levels/survival.lua to see how we are using this for our own maps.
  • Mod uploader now works on all platforms.
  • A bunch of new modding tutorials have been made. Check them out here.

General

• You can now dig up turf that is underneath a road.

Creatures

• Added a worm enemy to the caves.
  • The Ancient Guardian has a new short range melee attack that it will use when its target is close.
  • Rooks can no longer instantly kill any monster in the game during a charge.
  • Followers will have an easier time keeping up with their leader.
  • Fire hounds are now freezable, but with a higher resistance than normal.
  • Ice hounds are now burnable.

World

• DEATH IN THE CAVES NOW WORKS AS IT DOES IN THE OVER WORLD. IF YOU DIE YOUR SAVE FILE WILL BE DELETED.
  • You can no longer regenerate caves.
  • Followers will follow you between cave levels.
  • Time is synced across cave levels.
  • Resurrection mechanics work between cave levels.
  • Cave world generation changes:
    • Improved cave generation. Areas should feel more unique.
    • Added a couple new biomes:
      • Red and Green fungus forests
      • Sunken Swamps
  • The nightmare has further influenced the caves. Fissures can be found throughout.
  • Spilagmites work like rocks and can be totally destroyed.
  • Added new art for the entrance to the ruins.

Items

• The worm drops a magical food item.
  • The Thulecite Crown has a new magical effect.
  • Fire darts can now target non-burnable creatures, but will not do damage. You can use them to thaw frozen creatures.

Controls

• Controller support added! A few screens and objects still need to be implemented, but the game is mostly playable with a controller. Expect to see improvements in controller functionality within the next update.

Bug Fixes

• Wilson no longer says "It's getting late, I should make a fire" while in the caves.
  • Wislon will no longer say "It's too bright out." when attempting to use a sleeping item in the caves during the day time.
  • Sanity loss no longer changes based on time of day in the caves.
  • MacTusk can now pathfind back to his camp if he's led very far away from it.
  • Improved graphical effects on MacTusks projectile.
  • Beefalo will now wake up when they're on fire.
  • You can no longer trade with sleeping pigs.
  • Removed small holes in cave worlds that were previously pillars.
  • Player now reacts to bee and mosquito attacks.
  • Cancelling a placement while wielding an item with a right click action will no longer trigger that action.

Hotfix 86743 October 3rd - 3:30 PST:

• Fixed a crash that occurred sometimes while picking up items.
  • Added strings to new items.
  • Added new button icons for the controller.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the controller buttons to conflict with language mods
  • Fixed a crash that occurred sometimes when entering a cave.

I have a question: if you generate a perma-night world will the cave levels also be in the night phase permanently? I like to use the Lights Out preset with Wendy and the beams of light from the overworld are a bit, uh, immersion breaking.

Edit: Went spelunking and darn, the cave doesn't stay in the night phase with Lights Out.

I`m slowly pissed, having so much trouble with the game.
4 days ago, I lost my game thanks to a bug.
(I entered a cave, but then droped into it without my items and without the changes to do anything or to move, so I just died, respawned in my 5 meat effigy, automaticlly died, respawned, died and so on, until all 5 meat effigy were used and then the game was over ... after hours of playing and collecting)

Yesterday the new update came so I started a new game, reach day 7 and the game quits itself for now reason.
(this window showed up http://www.abload.de/img/dsi8sw8.jpg )

For the record, I´m not using mods, cheats or anything - just the normal game.

It´s just making me sad, spending hours of gaming to start again for no reason.
Please, please, please take care about the bug-fixing, it´s not funny anymore.

(I entered a cave, but then droped into it without my items and without the changes to do anything or to move, so I just died, respawned in my 5 meat effigy, automaticlly died, respawned, died and so on, until all 5 meat effigy were used and then the game was over ... after hours of playing and collecting)

Yesterday the new update came so I started a new game, reach day 7 and the game quits itself for now reason.

That would be tough.  For a game that deletes your save game on death, there better be NO bugs in the system.  It was quite early on I started making backups for (what I deemed) unfair deaths, so I didn't lose a weeks work for something stupid.

That would be tough.  For a game that deletes your save game on death, there better be NO bugs in the system.  It was quite early on I started making backups for (what I deemed) unfair deaths, so I didn't lose a weeks work for something stupid.

How can I make the backups for my save game?

(and how to insert and load them?)

It's very important to Bug Report this (and I highly recommend using the template there) in the Bug Report location/link provided. Respectfully, complaining here will not fix it, besides venting of course. 

How can I make the backups for my save game?

(and how to insert and load them?)

Normally I'd say this isn't in the spirit of perma-death, but neither is immediate perma-death by just having the game kill you for no cause or frequent crashing corrupt files. While I would not recommend restoring saves when some game play goes bad (AKA "save scrumming,") if you're having a legitimate error and need to save your games to restore a corrupt game problem, here's what you can do:

To back Up Saves--

1. Find and copy your info from your Saves folder--On Steam this is in C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\10389473\219740 (varies, just search for survival_1 to find the directory). In Standalone this is in C:\Users\**yourID**\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\save. In Chrome, this is in C:\Users\*yourID*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\File System\000(varies)\p\00(varies) Regular saves are labeled "Survival 1" "Survival 2" "Survival 3" and/or "Survival 4": after the (up to) four different save slots you have. If in Adventure Mode, the name changes to Advanture and keeps the same slot number (eg, Adventure 3.) If in Caves, the same thing applies with Survival, except for the caves name.) 
  2. Save/Paste the copied save file(s) somewhere else in (another folder/directory) beside the save folder (so it will not delete upon death.)

To Restore Saves--

1. Go to the backed up saved files and copy the file(s) you wish to copy.
  2. Paste over the old save files. If there are none, to properly work, you may need to create a new game, save that game,  and paste over the  file for the game to generate the copied save file.

More info can also be found here

And sorry for the double post, (but wanted to make it clear from the prior user forum replies) that: As of 8 PM PDT, my Standalone game has not updated and is still "A Moderately Friendly Update." Manually running the updater does not help.  If the issue with the "difficult to update serves" outside of Stream was though solved, this contradicts that. 

Edit: And since the "A Moderately Friendly Update," leaving for another world causes the game to crash again. Just tried that right now since the AMFU update. Once again, I will see if this happens under "Six Feet Under," and re-report it if it does. It was suggested the last hotfix before SFU fixed this but it's perhaps this update. 

Changelist 86492:

• You can no longer regenerate caves.
  • Cave world generation changes:
    • Improved cave generation. Areas should feel more unique.
    • Added a couple new biomes:
      • Red and Green fungus forests
      • Sunken Swamps
  • The nightmare has further influenced the caves. Fissures can be found throughout.

So, we have to open a new sinkhole or start a new world to see any of these changes in caves?

It would be nice if the regenerate caves feature was active a little while longer, so we could have easier access to the new stuff. :/

I've been testing out the controller compatibility included in this patch. I have to say, there is still much to be desired with some of the functionality. That is for another post though once I have ran everything through its paces. This post is to point out a bug caused by the controller.

Upon activating Maxwell's door while using the controller the message about adventure mode and whether or not you wish to continue appears. The options in this message are not selectable with the controller or with the mouse while you have the controller enabled. I had to alt-F4 to get out of the screen.

The update works well on my end.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (in too much pain to sit at a desk) I couldn't use the cooling dock today. Laptop on my lap running the game made for an excellent and comfy heat source.

Neither overheated nor burned me again. Impressive work on managing CPU load.

Archived