[Ready For Download] Wx78 Upgrade System Overhaul.

RCatta

WX's Upgrade System Overhaul

c14y.png

(Poster by Quad Rioters)

This mod , as is fairly obvious from it's title , is a complete re-work of WX78's upgrade functionality. The aim here is to attempt to satisfy those who would believe that WX is just a bit too strong , in his "vanilla" version.

You can find some discussions on this matter here , should it interest you.

The mod can be downloaded from the workshop , or via this link:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/files/file/301-wx-upgrade-system-overhaul/

Screens:

kh01.th.jpg

31a5.th.jpg

How to install:

Option 1:

Subscribe the mod on steam workshop - > start your game -> mods -> activate.

Option 2:

Download it here on the Klei forums , and extract it contents of the archive in your Steam/SteamApps/Common/DontStarve/mods folder. 

Start the game -> mods -> activate.

Features:

1. WX's max stats were ridiculously high when full upgraded so they were tweaked:

- WX78's maximum achievable health has been tuned to 300 down from 400.

- WX78's maximum achievable sanity has been tuned to 200 down from 300

- WX78's maximum achievable hunger has been tuned to 250 up from 200

2.If the vanilla WX chugs down gears and gets both +extra stats and huge replenishing to all 3 stats , the modded WX will get his very own crafting tab called "Upgrades" and the ability to craft:

Standard Upgrades:

- Armor Plating Module

The Armor Plating Module will add some extra armor to WX's soft spots , increasing his total Health pool.

Max Upgrades:10

- CPU Module

The CPU Module will add some extra processing power , allowing WX to better distinguish reality by increasing his Sanity Pool.

Max Upgrades:10

- Fuel Reserves Module

The FRM is used to increase WX's fuel storage capacity ,increasing his total Hunger pool.

Max Upgrades::10

Advanced Upgrades:(while these will bring improvements to WX , they come at a cost)

- L.S.M

The LSM or Locomotion Support Module will allow WX to run faster , but at the cost of faster fuel drain.

Max Upgrades:5

For each LSM upgrade you get +10% speed and +20% faster fuel drain.

- E.C.M

The ECM or Enhanced Combat Module will allow for a more offensive WX but at the same time , a more fragile one.

Max Upgrades:5

For each ECM upgrade you get +20% damage and -10% of you maximum achievable health.

Downgrades (you have the option of removing any Advanced Upgrades you have applied)

- L.S.M Removal Kit

Should food ever be scarce and you find your fuel consumption is a bit too high , you can remove the upgrade.

Max Downgrades: As many as your LSM upgrade number.

For each LSM Removal Kit you get -10% speed and - 20% fuel consumption rate.

- E.C.M Removal kit

Surviving is all about adaptation. Sometimes , defense is better than offense.

Max Downgrades: As many as your ECM upgrade number.

For each ECM Removal Kit you get -20% attack damage and + 10% of your maximum achievable health.

Misc

Upgrade Notebook

Just a little something to help you check your upgrade status.

FAQ:

1.What happens if I activate your mod over an already existing and upgraded WX ?

You can use this mod over your already upgraded(or not) WX78 gameplay. Any already existing upgrades will be broken down and distributed evenly based on the new upgrade system.

Example: If your vanilla WX has it's 15 upgrades maxed , that means the modded WX will get:

-5 Armor plating upgrades

-5 CPU upgrades

-5 Fuel reserve upgrades.

2.But what if I had 100 gears and I used them as food for my play ? do I just lose all those gears ?

I did think about it , but seeing as how gears are not a finite resource , any excess gears you have used for food will be taken into consideration and converted to upgrades equally,

Example: You upgraded your WX 15 times and then ate about 27 more gears. This means:

-10 Armor Plating upgrades

-10 CPU upgrades

-10 Fuel Reserve Upgrades

-2 LSM Ups

-2 ECM Ups

These conversion are based on a mathematical formula that takes into consideration all your consumed gears and the actual gear cost of the new upgrades. 

3.What happens to my vanilla upgrades if I decide to deactivate the mod ?

If you've upgraded WX while using my mod , the upgrades will be ported back to your vanilla one upon deactivation.

If you didn't upgrade WX while using my mod and deactivate ,your vanilla WX will look just like he did before activation.

4. But what if I upgrade damage or speed and then deactivate ? will those be ported back ?

No. That was not a functionality of the vanilla WX , so any speed / damage upgrades will be converted to basic +stats.

5.Is this mod compatible with other mods that alter WX ?

No. Due to the fact that overwriting existing functions is (to my knowledge) not something you can pull off by using PostInits , altering the wx78 prefab directly was necessary.

6. What happens if I try to upgrade past the maximum limit ?

If you already have 10 Armor Plating upgrades and try to go for 11 , WX will notify you that his at maximum capacity and your mats will be wasted.

7. Can I downgrade LSM or ECM if I didn't first upgrade them ?

Yes. That makes total sense.

No ,ofcourse you can't. WX will notify you there's nothing to downgrade and your mats will be lost.

8. Why are Downgrade materials so dangerous to get ?

Survival rarely allows second chances and doesn't appreciate mistakes or incertinty.  

9. Why does the upgrade icon look like the science one ?

Unfortunately it's impossible to add a new "tab" icon to the game at the moment unless you want your entire hud to turn into a ticking time bomb.

The tab icons & everything you see on the screen are compressed into hud.tex. It is possible to add a new icon to the tex ,which I did , and it works. 

However ,for some reason I cannot understand your hud will eventually go completely crazy if modified in any way and will look something like this:

yb9g.th.jpg

As you can see , even WX feels the need to facepalm. There's really no real explanation for why this happens.

Anyway ,the Upgrade Tab icon we designed looked like this , for the brief amount of time it worked:

wadu.th.jpg

10.If I upgrade LSM to max , get a walking cane , get hit by lightning and walk on a road , will I be as fast as Flash ?

Pretty much. The vanilla WX was already very fast with those things added to it. However , the lightning strike speed boost has been tuned down to 20% instead of 50% so that the speed won't get ridiculous. 

11. Will I still be able to eat gears and get insane replenishment ?

Nope. Gears are not edible anymore.

12. Will the upgrades give replenishment when eaten ?

Yes , but nothing as high as  the gears used to. They are treated as generic food with minimal restoration values.

Developer Important notes:

-If you activate a mod that will crash your game , the game will at times de-activate all most as a counter-measure. Be careful to re-activate the WX mod before logging in , otherwise the upgrade data will be deleted and the upgrades you had will be redistributed randomly (see FAQ 1. and 2.) 

This will not happen if the mod is activated before logging in.

-There are 2 versions of the mod. Softcore & Hardcore.

The only difference between soft and hard is that on softcore you get 3 times the upgrades for the same amount of materials.

This only applies to Standard Upgrades , and not to Advanced Upgrades / Downgrades.

For example:

1 Gear + 1 Goldnugget +2 marble = 1 Armor plating on hardcore.

1 Gear+ 1 Gold + 2 marble = 3 Armor plating on softcore.

VERY IMPORTANT:

As explained above , every ECM upgrade grants 20% attack damage and -10% achievable health.

Your achievable health is 300. That means EVERY ECM upgrade will cost 30 health. 

If your current and / or maximum health is less than 30 , you WILL DIE.

Don't kill yourselves.

Bug reporting:

You can either:

- Leave a comment under the mod's steam page.

- Annoy me on steam private chat until I give in.

- Post a reply in this topic. 

Whichever you choose, keep in mind that printscreens are going to speed the process up exponentially. Also I recommend either the first or second option.

ChangeLog:

Version 1.2:

- The mod is now RoG and ONLY RoG compatible (yes, unfortunately this means that you won't be able to use it on the vanilla version due to many many complications. Bright side, however, is that RoG is only 5$)

- Attack boost reduced to 10% down from 20% for each Combat upgrade applied. This means that the attack damage while maxed on ECM is now 50% (down from 100%)

- Fuel consumption rate slightly increased (24% up from 20%) for each Locomotor upgrade applied. This means that the fuel consumption while maxed on LSM is now 120% (up from 100%)

- Added a pencil. Why? because I can. You'll need it for the Upgrade Notebook. Also it can be used as fuel.

- Finally managed to find a solution for the icon replacement. The Upgrade tab's icon is now chanced from the "Science" icon to a custom one.

- Softcore and hardcore versions of this mod will be removed. Only one version will be available from now on, however, you will be able to chose the difficulty using the new "Mod configuration" option. 

- Softcore upgrade materials requirements has been increased, but the number of units / craft has been increased. The final result is mostly the same as before, which a slight increase in difficulty.

Special thanks to:

@Quad Rioters

This mod would have looked much much worse without his amazing artwork.

Also he gets credit for the idea of both hardcore and softcore versions.

Marbozir and his gaming channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8cQBZrG2-Q76hlAZ-Et9g , whose awesome Don't Starve Let's Play is what introduced me to the game in the first place.Be sure to check out his channel ,he deserves much more subs than he has.

@simplex

Being amongst the few to add a suggestion to the mod .his idea to make upgrades removable are what inspired the 'Downgrade' mechanics. 

@_Q_

His willingness to share his own WX mod code aided in the development of this one.

@Deroxis

You can thank him for the update. Also for the re-balance ideas.

Cool! :grin:

(Is the upgrate menu icon gonna change in the future? Couse now its the same as the science one)

P.S. Why I died by eating the ecm?

Both of your questions have been explained in the edited OP.

Sections: FAQ and VERY IMPORTANT.

what are the "hardcore" and "softcore" downloads?.

-There are 2 versions of the mod. Softcore & Hardcore.

The only difference between soft and hard is that on softcore you get 3 times the upgrades for the same amount of materials.

This only applies to Standard Upgrades , and not to Advanced Upgrades / Downgrades.

For example:

1 Gear + 1 Goldnugget +2 marble = 1 Armor plating on hardcore.

1 Gear+ 1 Gold + 2 marble = 3 Armor plating on softcore.

This is love at first sight all over again  :love_heart:

Count me on your boat. A WX78 Fanboy should most definitely not miss this treat. Anyway if I could suggest The icons, it really blends in with the game overall art but just add more details to it. The new game art added shadowing on spoils, glow on light source items and for other items they have drop shadows and thicker outlines/strokes. Make your item icons little bit smaller too to match the default game items icon sizes and to fit more details. Last one is the upgrades, how about they just go into the games science tab? WX78 is nothing but science all over his body right?

:wickerbottomthanks:

This is love at first sight all over again  :love_heart:

Count me on your boat. A WX78 Fanboy should most definitely not miss this treat. Anyway if I could suggest The icons, it really blends in with the game overall art but just add more details to it. The new game art added shadowing on spoils, glow on light source items and for other items they have drop shadows and thicker outlines/strokes. Make your item icons little bit smaller too to match the default game items icon sizes and to fit more details. Last one is the upgrades, how about they just go into the games science tab? WX78 is nothing but science all over his body right?

:wickerbottomthanks:

Keeping a separate tab for the upgrades is a bit more clean. No reason to clog them all up under a single tab.

As far as the icons sizes , they were smaller at first but they just looked ridiculous. We based them on the size of gears. 

The outlines aren't as thick because in our opinion they look better this way. 

Keeping a separate tab for the upgrades is a bit more clean. No reason to clog them all up under a single tab.

As far as the icons sizes , they were smaller at first but they just looked ridiculous. We based them on the size of gears. 

The outlines aren't as thick because in our opinion they look better this way. 

I love you version of the update tab. Too sad we are not using that, what really happened?

I love you version of the update tab. Too sad we are not using that, what really happened?

The hud files are highly volatile it would seem , and the only way to add tab icons to the game is by modifying those files. 

Long story short , can't be done. Not without it breaking down.

Pretty neat idea. Will definitey give it a try.

Hmmmmm, the mod doesn't work with Always On Status enabled.

It really won't. As values being used by AOS is from tunables of vanilla WX-78. I am currently looking on to it to see if if its possible to make this two mods compatible.

Pretty neat idea. Will definitey give it a try.

Hmmmmm, the mod doesn't work with Always On Status enabled.

Yeah , I'll look into it.

EDIT:

Found the issue.

Apparently AOS duplicates vanilla WX's upgrade system functions in mod main. I can't think of a reason why that code is there ,but anyway:

You need to delete this code from modmain.lua in Always On Status for the 2 mods to be compatible with eachother:

local function applyupgrades(inst)local max_upgrades = 15local upgrades = math.min(inst.level, max_upgrades)local hunger_percent = inst.components.hunger:GetPercent()local health_percent = inst.components.health:GetPercent()local sanity_percent = inst.components.sanity:GetPercent()inst.components.hunger.max = math.ceil(TUNING.WX78_MIN_HUNGER + upgrades* (TUNING.WX78_MAX_HUNGER - TUNING.WX78_MIN_HUNGER)/max_upgrades)inst.components.health.maxhealth = math.ceil(TUNING.WX78_MIN_HEALTH + upgrades* (TUNING.WX78_MAX_HEALTH - TUNING.WX78_MIN_HEALTH)/max_upgrades)inst.components.sanity.max = math.ceil(TUNING.WX78_MIN_SANITY + upgrades* (TUNING.WX78_MAX_SANITY - TUNING.WX78_MIN_SANITY)/max_upgrades)inst.components.hunger:SetPercent(hunger_percent)inst.components.health:SetPercent(health_percent)inst.components.sanity:SetPercent(sanity_percent)endlocal function newoneat(inst, food)if food and food.components.edible and food.components.edible.foodtype == "GEARS" theninst.level = inst.level + 1applyupgrades(inst) inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/characters/wx78/levelup")inst.HUD.controls.status.heart:PulseGreen()inst.HUD.controls.status.stomach:PulseGreen()inst.HUD.controls.status.brain:PulseGreen()inst.HUD.controls.status.brain:ScaleTo(1.2,.9,.7)inst.HUD.controls.status.heart:ScaleTo(1.2,.9,.7)inst.HUD.controls.status.stomach:ScaleTo(1.2,.9,.7)endendlocal function wx78eat(inst)inst.components.eater:SetOnEatFn(newoneat)endAddPrefabPostInit("wx78", wx78eat)

Are you sure ? can you post a ss ?

It works for me.

Yeah, it doesn't work along with the new Always On Status. Anyway, I have made some few copy pastes from your wx78.lua (contains the new upgrade values) to AOS modmain.lua and it works for me now. Always On Status shows the current status of WX-78 while using your Upgrade System Overhaul.

Yeah, it doesn't work along with the new Always On Status. Anyway, I have made some few copy pastes from your wx78.lua (contains the new upgrade values) to AOS modmain.lua and it works for me now. Always On Status shows the current status of WX-78 while using your Upgrade System Overhaul.

I edited that post. You need to delete anything in AOS mod main that has to do with WX postinit. That code should not be there.

I edited that post. You need to delete anything in AOS mod main that has to do with WX postinit. That code should not be there.

Oh, nice approach. So its the other way around. Testing it now. Thanks!

Edit: Anyway, what I did was just declare the new values of sanity, hunger and health on Always on Status's modmain.lua and it was all fine.

Archived