Sound Mod Tutorial

Cheerio

• Developer
This tutorial will teach you how to create a mod which replaces a sound in 'Don't Starve'.  For this tutorial, we're going to replace the 'rabbit scream' sound with a 'bird scream'.  

This tutorial requires:
- PC version of 'Don't Starve' and 'Don't Starve Mod Tools'
- The 'Sound Mod Tutorial' mod installed through Steam Workshop or on the Klei Forum downloads.

Tutorial:
All sounds in 'Don't Starve' are called events.  To replace an existing sound event, we need to create a new sound event using the FMOD designer and then tell the game to use that sound instead.  Let's get started!

To launch the designer, Double click on the 'Don't Starve Mod Tools' in steam:
post-283016-0-56678300-1379124686_thumb.

Now inside the designer, browse to your mod folder and open 'sound_mod_tutorial.fdp'.
post-283016-0-35667700-1379124717_thumb.

Next click on the events tab and scroll down till you find the 'rabbit_scream' event.

post-283016-0-71095200-1379124730_thumb.

Right click on the gray area under the word play list and click add sound.  

post-283016-0-34788200-1379124745_thumb.

Add the 'bird_scream.wav' sound from the mod folder.
post-283016-0-48869100-1379124767_thumb.

Press 'CTRL+B' to bring up the build menu and click the build button.  You can now close the designer.
post-283016-0-08491800-1379124784_thumb.

Browse to the mod folder and open up a file named 'modmain.lua' in your favorite text editor.

post-283016-0-49889800-1379124798_thumb.

Remove the two dashes next to the 'rabbit_scream' line and save the file.

post-283016-0-34410500-1379124830_thumb.

Now start the game and go chase some rabbits!  Remember to enable your mod through the mods menu.

Happy modding! :-)
  • Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

PC version of 'Don't Starve' and 'Don't Starve Mod Tools'

This explicitly means that it's PC only and not just Steam/Mac, ya? I'm not finding "Don't Starve Mod Tools" when searching the steam workshop on my Mac.

Edited by inches

On 9/5/2015 at 4:29 AM, Doctor Donna said:

Mhm if I build, the designer will freeze. :/

if anyone has this problem you just gotta wait it out the program is rendering and it takes about 1 and a half minutes, you'll get a notification, just don't touch it even if it freezes

Hey, can anyone tell me how to make an updated version of the FMOD Designer file used in this mod? I need to update my Sweet Silence mod to remap all of the new pick up sounds added to DST, but I don't know enough about modding to modify Cheerio's original file. My mod silenced the regular standard pick up sound, but now there are different pick up sounds for all different kinds of materials. Thanks!

On 2/10/2024 at 7:45 PM, Khezlar said:

Hey, can anyone tell me how to make an updated version of the FMOD Designer file used in this mod? I need to update my Sweet Silence mod to remap all of the new pick up sounds added to DST, but I don't know enough about modding to modify Cheerio's original file. My mod silenced the regular standard pick up sound, but now there are different pick up sounds for all different kinds of materials. Thanks!

If you need mod help, you should go to the DST forums. The DS ones are pretty much dead now.

• Like 1