Oxygen Not Included Roadmap March 2019

• Developer

Hey everyone!

It's now been over two years since the first public Beta for Oxygen Not Included, and it's finally time to fully launch the game! The third Quality of Life Upgrade is coming to you on Tuesday April 16th, and then there will be one last update to complete Early Access.

In late May, we will be coming out of Early Access with new content (3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more), and official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

With that, we feel Oxygen Not Included is ready for a full launch. After we've officially launched, we will continue to make quality of life improvements and bug fixes, while the bulk of the team will be moving on to building DLC for the game, where we can explore further ideas and expansions to ONI's world.

All in all, it's been a rather surreal journey for the team. The game is extremely intricate, with so many moving parts; when we first designed it, we weren't sure how many people would be interested in embracing their inner scientist, but 1.5 million players later, we're happy to say the experiment has worked out.

Thank you so much for playing our game. Thank you so much for all your bug reports, your feedback and all the wonderful support you have given us during this journey. We look forward to launching this game with you.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this game, it's definitely ascended up to being one of my favorite games of all time.

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

@Ipsquiggle I have a question, will the official mod support be similar to Don't Starve's and have tools bundled into Steam as well?

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

In late May, we will be coming out of Early Access with new content (3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more), and official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

Holy Moly!  I didn't expect to see a new biome until DLC was released a year or so after launch.  To be getting three new biomes at launch?  I'm both shocked and giddy at this news!

PS - New biomes are great, but I don't want to downplay the excitement I have over news of new buildings, creatures, and presumably plants and materials.  Really, awesome news.  Best of luck with a profitable launch; you deserve it.

WhooohooO! :D

Damn, that's a metric F*ton better than I expected!

I thought the game would come out of early access in august/September, with 1 biome with 'stuff' being added at release or the update before it.

Things are looking way better and awesome than the high expectations I already had. :)

ONI is an amazing game, but by now I only expect the best from this studio :)

New biomes were definitely a must-include to increase the variety from one play through to another, so I am happy to see that's in the works! Especially if we get more cold biomes :p

I really-really-really hope we will get space radiators for the launch. That, the aforementioned new biomes, and the option to copy-paste designs (or full-on blueprints a la factorio) are the main three things that are currently missing from the game, IMHO.

3 new biomes

new creatures

That`s already more than i expected. The DLC is good news as well. I can say for sure i`m buying it.

Good to know the game is succesful. A lot of us love it to death but i was concerned if more people would like it.

Thanks for the news. Can`t wait for release.

17 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

3 new biomes

new creatures

That`s already more than i expected. The DLC is good news as well. I can say for sure i`m buying it.

Good to know the game is succesful. A lot of us love it to death but i was concerned if more people would like it.

Thanks for the news. Can`t wait for release.

Lol, I totally missed the part about the DLC.. Consider my monies yours Klei!

Please, take it, this game Is awesome, but I was getting a bit 'bored' with it because I already sunk more than 500 hours into it, and currently know pretty much all the ins and outs of this game, how to build a successful base from scratch to space.

3 new biomes and the accompanying stuffs is already a whole lot of funtimes, and that's part of the main game, I really can't wait to hear and see what you have planned for a DLC for this game.

All the Best Klei. You are officially one of the best game devs out there. 

And seriously !! 3 new biomes and stuff and we still learning new things about the existing ones.

So much more to come with DLCs and expansions. Hoping for the magma biome to get a major upheaval and usefulness. 

Hats off and Keep ONIeing !!!

Dear Developer,

I genuinely, sincerely think it is a great game. I played many games for decades and Oxygen Not Included is one of the most revolutionary games, if not THE most revolutionary one, as far as my experience goes. However, even though I know it is still in early access stage, there are so many bugs and loose ends. Some bugs seem to be even intentionally left not debugged (c.f., water airlock). I fully understand that the developer would like to add more diverse features so that players find the game interesting for longer span of time but, with all the bugs and loose ends, I find it difficult to call this game a masterpiece.

I do believe it's very close to something resembling a masterpiece. However, you should remove all the bugs in the game and make all the ingredients of the game connected and associated much more organically. I would like you to focus on removing bugs and making the game more polished, rather than adding even fancier features.

Just two cents from someone who played this game very very long time.

4 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

3 new biomes

Holy crap that is soooo much more than I expected for the launch content update (mostly expected nuclear tech, an end-game goal and some fleshing out of disease).  One biome would have made me really happy, three is just insane.  Thank you!! :)

Ok...Now the guessing game.. What could be represented with the new biome's?  A desert/sterile type biome, something to throw uranium in assuming nuclear tech gets added (radioactive biome?) and...hmm... A 'home' biome? ie: something akin to the surface building/ruins but made into a whole biome?  That last one seems a bit much though, could still be an artificial biome of some form like how there's satellite's for your rocket to travel too. So maybe a crashed satellite biome right near the surface?

It kind of sounds like things could get really crowded, I do hope there's an official worldgen option to increase the size of our maps.  Regardless I'm sure it'll be amazing when it comes out, you've definitely more than earned the benefit of the doubt for quality loonngg ago :)

(my #1 hope for dlc is being able to setup colonies on the planets/moons we visit, always seemed like wayyyy too big an addition for the base game but something well worth paying for)

I'm incredibly proud to have been part of this games journey since Alpha/Thermal. Thank you for creating a game I've invested nearly 300+ hours in to, and enjoyed every second.

Good luck with the final updates, and the official launch! I can not wait to see the future success of this game.

3 new biomes? So much to explore so little map! Need more optimizations to support bigger map to support more biomes to support more optimizations to support bigger map to support more biomes. Well this is going nowhere fast! I just want to see how it all turns out.

New biomes? Do i smell new disease? Do you think new biomes will be down under? I mean we have huge lava down there that might get some love.

Archived