• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Extended Sample Character DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1

5 Screenshots

About This File

A character mod template for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together.

There are multiple versions.

V1.0.4 - Don't Starve and Don't Starve Reign of Giants

V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together

V1.3.1 - Don't Starve Shipwrecked

The full tutorial can be found here.

Features:

• Basic coding for a character mod
  • All sprites and symbols to build a character
  • Extended drawing areas for custom art
  • Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Don't Starve Together versions

This requires Don't Starve Mod Tools to autocompile .png files that are modified.
The .scml is built in a way that you can use Spriter (included with Don't Starve Mod Tools) to preview the changes you make. The .scml file is not intended to be changed itself, and changes may not correctly reflect how it appears in-game.
A folder of cleared sprites has been included to easily remove unwanted parts from your character.

Also on Github

What's New in Version 1.2.1   See changelog

Released

• DST Version
  • - Added exported/esctemplate/SWAP_ICON symbol.
  • - Added bigportraits/esctemplate_none.png
  • - Added images/names_esctemplate.png
  • - Added scripts/prefabs/esctemplate_none.lua
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1
  • Health 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is amazing, thanks!

I didn't know there was a tail in the player animations. Has that always been in the game?

• Sanity 1

This is amazing, thanks!

I didn't know there was a tail in the player animations. Has that always been in the game?

I don't think so. This is the sample character provided by Klei, only modified with some new animation slots, apparently. And some different placeholder graphics, of course :D

This is amazing, thanks!

They probably would have needed one, for the Wortox unimplemented character.

• Like 1

They probably would have needed one, for the Wortox unimplemented character.

Hypothesis:

Yeah, if you decompile wortox you can get a char with a tail, checking the validity of this now.

End result: Inconclusive, but yes.

His tail is made up the same way.

I couldn't find Wortox's files to decompile, but the animation for the tail existed.

How did you get it out then?

The anim.bin files already have support for tails. They just need a build that uses them.

Musn't of been exact enough. How did you get a build that supported that?

So what program do you use to make the backround of the image transparent?

Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, Paint Tool Sai, etc can give you a transparent background.

Musn't of been exact enough. How did you get a build that supported that?

I added them from scratch. An animated part needs dimensions and pivot locations in the .scml to build and work with an animation. To get it to appear the way it does in the .scml I provided, I used krane to decompile the initial resulting build, though it wasn't exact and I had to do some manual adjustment afterward.

Awesome work, Dleowolf! The tail is a very useful addition! I'll go ahead and show you my character if I make any progress, but before I start I have two questions...I noticed that when I opened the .SCML file in Spriter, there was only the base pose. How do I get ahold of the other animations? Also, is EVERYTHING in speech_esctemplate.lua?

I can't get this to work, I am Un-sure how to make it work even.
Somebody please help D:

Well, man, for starters what're you having trouble with? I'm fresh when it comes to modding, but I know that you'll need to get the Don't Starve mod tools to do anything. Go into your steam library, look under tools, and nab that.

Awesome work, Dleowolf! The tail is a very useful addition! I'll go ahead and show you my character if I make any progress, but before I start I have two questions...I noticed that when I opened the .SCML file in Spriter, there was only the base pose. How do I get ahold of the other animations? Also, is EVERYTHING in speech_esctemplate.lua?

I don't know much about making new character animations. Maybe try decompiling the builds of the default characters to learn how their animations work.

Speech_esctemplate.lua is simply Wilson's speech file of base DS. You can replace it with another character's speech file. If you want RoG quotes, you may want to use the RoG speech files instead.

Alright, so i have the tools from guide, but how do you even work with this mod?

This mod uses a Spriter project, so it might help to learn more how Spriter mods work. From what I understand, the project is compiled when starting the game if you made changes and have the tools installed.

if i clear out one png, i cant compile the files. Only way i found was to clear the resulting tex files from unwanted images. Is there maybe a better way to do this?