• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Cats N' Dogs - Hound and Catcoon mod 1.1

2 Screenshots

About This File

Workshop Link

This mod allows modification of stats of hounds and catcoons, and the number of teeth required to make a tooth trap, for people that are masochistic. My original line of thinking was "How does a flabby pig fist do more damage than a gigantic hound maw?" (Seriously have you seen that mouth it's enormous). So I changed it.

I also saw people leaving comments on the wiki complaining about how they need to be buffed. And, finally, I once witnessed a catcoon kill a hound. That's just ridiculous.

All stats are adjustable. You don't have to change everything (or anything, but that would defeat the purpose of getting the mod). It makes red hounds immune to fire. I've considered making them explode on death, but that's complicated to pull off properly, so I'm not going to right now.

Details:

• Hound Health:

[*]Hound Damage:

[*]Hound Speed:

• 100%
    • 125%
    • 150%
    • 175%

[*]Hound Attack Period: The amount of time between their attacks. Higher value = less time.

• Normal
    • Fast
    • Insane

[*]Varg spawning: whether vargs spawn with hounds after day 100.

• True
    • False

[*]Trap requirement: how many hound teeth you need to make a tooth trap. Statistically speaking, the number of hounds you need to kill (or survive) to make x amount of tooth traps is multiplied by the number of teeth you need.

[*]Catcoon Health (RoG)

Note: The first setting of each option is the vanilla value. Setting it to that will basically turn that setting off.

Other features:

• Red hounds are immune to fire.

I am hungry for your feedback! I can and will change things if people give me good suggestions! Don't be afraid to criticize!

What's New in Version 1.1   See changelog

Released

• 5/27/2014
  • +Added vargs to hound waves

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Ok this might be a dumb suggestion but would making Red hounds drop gun powder on death be a good substitute to your explosion idea? The fire that erupts should light it up and cause a similar effect to what you had in mind. Not to mention it would add alot more panic to summer waves. Just an idea

Anyway thanks for the sweet mod, cheers

• Like 3

Ok this might be a dumb suggestion but would making Red hounds drop gun powder on death be a good substitute to your explosion idea? The fire that erupts should light it up and cause a similar effect to what you had in mind. Not to mention it would add alot more panic to summer waves. Just an idea

Anyway thanks for the sweet mod, cheers

That's actually what I originally tried to do. It just didn't work all that well for several reasons. Mainly because, during a large hound swarm, the gunpowder was much more likely to kill the other hounds than it was to kill the player (players usually aren't stupid enough to stick around when the fire has gunpowder in it).

If they were gonna explode, I'd have to design some sort of custom explosion mechanic that didn't hurt hounds or something like that. That, or revamp gunpowder mechanics, which would be bad overall.

Although, I have to admit I didn't test it around buildings... Gunpowder does destroy buildings, right?

Well gunpowder deals 200 damage so I think that would blow up most structures  or set them ablaze. I wish I could be more help, making the hounds harder is a good idea. I'm sure youj tried this already but is there anyway to create an option to allow Vargs to spawn along side the hounds? I know it's a feature most people want klei to implement and maybe you can be the one to do it =)

• Like 1

Well gunpowder deals 200 damage so I think that would blow up most structures  or set them ablaze. I wish I could be more help, making the hounds harder is a good idea. I'm sure youj tried this already but is there anyway to create an option to allow Vargs to spawn along side the hounds? I know it's a feature most people want klei to implement and maybe you can be the one to do it =)

Vargs... That's a good idea! I'll have to remember to try that sometime!

Please do Vargs. Do Vargs and I'll play DS again and forever worship you.

Also, if gunpowdered hounds exploded immediately, the collateral to the Hounds would likely be less than that to a player's surroundings. Knowing that players often spam Tooth Traps to counter Hounds, the explosion would start claring Traps making Hounds more potent and harder to predict.

Please do Vargs. Do Vargs and I'll play DS again and forever worship you.

Also, if gunpowdered hounds exploded immediately, the collateral to the Hounds would likely be less than that to a player's surroundings. Knowing that players often spam Tooth Traps to counter Hounds, the explosion would start claring Traps making Hounds more potent and harder to predict.

I will probably just try to write in an area effect of some sort that destroys buildings and damages non-hound mobs. It's probably a bit advanced for me now, but it seems like the best option.

And yes, I'll do Vargs.

I have just added varg spawning. Currently, Vargs will spawn in hound waves once they hit the max setting. In the future I might add things such as probability spawning and whatnot, but this is fine for now.

Will be updating shortly.

EDIT: Actually, I have a big of config-related bug smashing to do, and it's bedtime, so I'll update it tomorrow.

Omg sweet, your gonna add vargs! I'm putting your mod up there with other must haves, you rock man!

can this be played in dont starve v1.102572??? i cant see the options should i click something first

Uh... I don't know. This was made when the mod API was updated to version 6, which introduced mod configs and compatibility indicators. I didn't look at game version numbers (nor do I even know what they are), but I know it was up to date at the time.

The config button appears in the mods menu when you mouse over the mod. It's under the info box, as depicted in this picture: http://puu.sh/9dcUN/794887992c.png

If you're not seeing that button, then you are probably out of date. This mod will not work without the config.

oh sorry didn't realize that the configuration is inside the mods menu thank you for the image so i can see it :)

Actually, the gunpower thing works great - just like varg spawning during hound attacks. I have no idea why gunpowder fire hounds is commented out by default.

Speaking of it - any chances for DST compatible version? such deadly attacks would be fun in cooperative :)