8 Screenshots

About This File

wokamodpreview3.png

Adds Woka the Arctic Hunter to the list of playable characters.

Woka is a character that I originally thought of for Don't Starve: Shipwrecked. I had planned to make this character before Don't Starve Together was even out, but I ran into some roadblocks at the time that prevented me from making her. Now, multiplayer is here, and I figured it would be a great time to make her. I really like how she turned out.

Woka comes from an undisclosed tribe of people from somewhere in the northern hemisphere. She is always wearing her thick winter parka, and never takes it off (It was her late father's coat, and she refuses to let it go). She appears to be a cold and wisened hunter on the outside, but get her excited or angry, and you'll see that she's still really just a typical child. Side note: the word "Woka" is Inuit for "Brave".

------------------------------------------

Woka's stats are as follows:

Hunger: 150

Health: 150

Sanity: 200

Here are Woka's perks:

PROS:

+ Woka can never get cold. She is quite warm all the time.

+ Woka cannot be frozen by attacks that would normally freeze you solid, such as attacking Ice Hounds, getting struck by Deerclops, or being hit by an Ice Staff.

+ Woka is so warm, other players can sometimes JUST avoid taking damage from freezing by huddling VERY close to her.

CONS:

- Woka gets hot very easily, which can be a serious problem in the summer.

- When Woka's temperature is above 60 degrees, she becomes exhausted from the heat, and moves 25% slower than normal. You will need to cool off to get your speed back.

- Woka's coat is very warm, but the warmth is not good for food storage. Food will spoil much faster on her than any other character.

Cool stuff in this mod:

+ A whole new character to play as (obviously).

+ TONS of custom dialogue lines written just for Woka!

+ High-Quality character art!

+ Custom minimap icons, select screen portraits, and save slot portraits!

+ Entirely new speech sounds!

Using Woka in Don't Starve, Don't Starve:Reign of Giants, or Don't Starve:Shipwrecked:

Woka was developed for use in Don't Starve Together, and that is the only form of the game she is 100% compatible with. She has not been tested for any of the single-player games. Therefore, I am only allowing her to be used in Don't Starve Together.

Author's Comments:

Thank you again for your support. I have been working non-stop on this mod for the past month now, and I have poured everything I have into this mod to make it look as much like an official character as possible.

I would like to thank SuperDavid on the Klei Forums for helping with Woka's overheating mechanics. I couldn't have done this without his help. I would also like to thank The Tiddler (Mr. Tiddles), and Mighty_Zero for their support while I was working on this project.

Thank you all, and have fun not starving!

-Thunder Volts (AKA: Spookers the Spoo)

Here is the Steam Workshop download: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=900712024

What's New in Version 1.2.4   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

User Feedback

Looks very nice indeed. However complete immunity to the cold and devastation from heat seems much. Removes the entire mechanic of having to worry about winter, but potentially makes summer a nightmare. That and freeze invulnerability seems too lackluster for a primary trait.

Would suggest perhaps making her simply just more resistant to the cold and less resistant to the heat then the average character as a mixed benefit and weakness, with invulnerability to being frozen a subtle bonus. Then you could add in a more colourful, significant benefit for her to have as a primary, which is off-balanced by food spoiling faster while she carries it. Like the ability to throw her weapon as a projectile; or crouch to lower the range she can be detected. Something fun that would have a more significant presence in the gameplay at all times instead of just seasonal resilience and vulnerability.

She looks fantastic, would be great if she had an alternate skin with her hood down; or one without her hood and gloves so players could dress her in outfits without her base costume obstructing the theme.

1 person likes this

Share this comment

5 hours ago, The Curator said:

Looks very nice indeed. However complete immunity to the cold and devastation from heat seems much. Removes the entire mechanic of having to worry about winter, but potentially makes summer a nightmare. That and freeze invulnerability seems too lackluster for a primary trait.

Would suggest perhaps making her simply just more resistant to the cold and less resistant to the heat then the average character as a mixed benefit and weakness, with invulnerability to being frozen a subtle bonus. Then you could add in a more colourful, significant benefit for her to have as a primary, which is off-balanced by food spoiling faster while she carries it. Like the ability to throw her weapon as a projectile; or crouch to lower the range she can be detected. Something fun that would have a more significant presence in the gameplay at all times instead of just seasonal resilience and vulnerability.

She looks fantastic, would be great if she had an alternate skin with her hood down; or one without her hood and gloves so players could dress her in outfits without her base costume obstructing the theme.

Those are all very good points, but I do not want to make her overpowered, or give her too many strange mechanics.  I just wanted to have a simple and sweet character for winter survival.  I am however thinking of adding a small damage resistance to her at some point, because of her thick and fluffy coat.

And I am thinking about making skins, but the problem with putting her hood down is that her head is much smaller underneath than a regular character, because she is so young.  Therefore, if I were to remove her hood, I would have to give her a large hairstyle or something so hats would still fit her.  Besides, part of her lore is that she never takes off the coat (as any sane person would when they are in the middle of summer), because it belonged to her now deceased father.  I may entertain the idea, but taking off her coat would mean her winter perks would not make as much sense.

Share this comment

It doesn't make sense for her to radiate warmth to other players, since that would mean she generated heat. Also, instead of being immune to all cold, you could simply give her extra base insulation(like Wilson with his beard), so she can still freeze, but slower.

Share this comment