• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Playable Mobs (DST) 1.2.2

About This File

Hello there, friend. Have you been sick of playing as a human character every time in Don't Starve? Would you rather play as something else? Perhaps more sinister? Maybe... a monster? Or perhaps a pig? Well, hehe, my friend, you've come to the right place. This, is the PLAYABLE MOBS MOD, currently adding in 15 Don't Starve mobs to the playable characters roster! That's right, and more are constantly being added as well. Each one has it's own unique abilities, which can be used by the player to shape the world around them, but not by building, nor starving or surviving, rather by playing the part of the mob you take the role of and wrecking havoc or being a great human ally. This mod currently adds in:

-Bearger

-Bunnyman

-Deerclops

-Depth Worm

-Dragonfly

-Ghost

-Krampus

-Mactusk

-Merm

-Goose/Moose

-Mosquito

-Pig

-Spider

-Spider Queen

-Warg

HOW TO USE ABILITIES:

Simply find an object which offers you the ability to "pick" it (EX. Sapling, berry bush, etc...) and try to interact with it. Depending on the mob, you'll receive no result to a unique ability being triggered.

TODO LIST:

- Add every DS mob to be playable

- Keep updated

BUGS:

- If Mactusk, Bunnyman, Merm, or Pig wear a hat, their head becomes invisible. Hard-coded into DS, not sure if there's a workaround.

What's New in Version 1.2.2   See changelog

Released

• -Bug fixes everywhere!
  • -Added Krampus
  • -Added Mosquito
  • -Added Bunnyman
  • -Added Merm
  • -Added a configuration settings area where you can enable/disable certain mobs form being playable. Can be used on servers to keep players from having access to more destructive mobs, like the Giants, giving the mod more use.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'll be patiently awaiting when a Bearger player mod for DST is out!

I actually plan on adding him and Goose/Moose next update.  Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Hmm... Here's a challenge for once you've finished this mod:

Do it the other way round! Instead of players being able to play as mobs which are normally bots, may be have the program function with player characters as bots to work as actual players. Of course things would need to be generalized because a lot of players often make thinkgs different and the character bot would need to change its course depending on the situation, which would probably be the most hardcore stuff to program for this game (probably even harder than my second mod project I've got planned) but it is still possible!

Back to this mod: can't wait till I can play as Dragonfly :p

Hmm... Here's a challenge for once you've finished this mod: Do it the other way round! Instead of players being able to play as mobs which are normally bots, may be have the program function with player characters as bots to work as actual players. Of course things would need to be generalized because a lot of players often make thinkgs different and the character bot would need to change its course depending on the situation, which would probably be the most hardcore stuff to program for this game (probably even harder than my second mod project I've got planned) but it is still possible! Back to this mod: can't wait till I can play as Dragonfly :razz:

Dragonfly is currently playable, actually.  And as for your challenge, I'll have to look into it in my spare time.  It might take a while, but it should be a worthwhile venture.

How do you install?

If you download it, you should get a zip file.  Extract the file inside the .zip file and put that in the mods directory.

This mod is crap always turns it's self off. And when it does work the game crashes

Fire, this version is outdated.  Look for it on the Steam Workshop.

when i try to play as dragonfly the game crashes instantly, this is the only mob it seems to do this for as all the other mobs work just fine.

But what happens when you die as a ghost? Do you become human? That'd be both meta and hilarious. Or do you just not die as a ghost mob? 'Cuz y'know, you're already dead. Now I'm not opposed to that idea, seeing as I'm one of those players who turns on godmode the instant I can..... what can I say? I love making hard games cry because I look for ways to either:

A. Make it easy via removal

B. Make it ULTRA easy via OPness

and it's usually the latter. X3

It seems to be lacking the character animations (as in the .ZIP files), which is causing the game to crash...I haven't gone through each scenario yet, but looking through the error log it seems to have crashed to to the missing .ZIP file for the ghost.

But honestly, I dunno. You have FAR more knowledge than me for being able to even make this mod! (Kudos to you, btw.) So maybe it's a mystery for us both...

Warning! (DST Crash Log).PNG

• Like 1

On 13/05/2016 at 8:08 PM, Christal said:

It seems to be lacking the character animations (as in the .ZIP files), which is causing the game to crash...I haven't gone through each scenario yet, but looking through the error log it seems to have crashed to to the missing .ZIP file for the ghost.

But honestly, I dunno. You have FAR more knowledge than me for being able to even make this mod! (Kudos to you, btw.) So maybe it's a mystery for us both...

Warning! (DST Crash Log).PNG

same to me

man one bug I know is when I try to use the mod, it crashes the game and It says missing ghost.zip or whatever it says, anyone know what is causing this.

Because sometimes i have bad connection and i cant enter to DST, so please, make this mod for single play

is there a reign of giants version of the mod ? if yes please tell me where i can find it