• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Charlie, a playable character mod (RoG and DST compatible!) 1.4

5 Screenshots

About This File

Howdy! AmaLee here to present to you a playable character mod for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together; Maxwell's assistant, Charlie!

(If you're not sure who Charlie is, may I perhaps persuade you to take a look at the William Carter Puzzles?)

This description is for all the basic stuff. I'll provide a few more tidbits on the forum thread you can find here.

Currently, I have her uploaded to Steam Workshop here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=395417557&tscn=1424403116 (DS)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=395420686 (DST)

How this mod was possible:

Charlie was made with the Extended Sample Character Mod provided by Dleowolf!

TheDanaAddams' tutorial was also a big help in some of the scripting processes that need to be done to get her perks to work.

The text for her name in her big portrait for DST was graciously given by Jeff Agala over on tumblr, which may be found here!

Thanks to The Noon Fish and Dryicefox for helping me out with her ghost and sounds!

Basic information on the mod:

Charlie's character design was based on the designs seen in 8th William Carter Puzzle. Currently, she has two different "perks": her sanity is drained at a higher rate (x1.25) and her damage updates depending on the time of day. Currently, the rates are as follows:

• Day: x1
  • Dusk: x1.5
  • Night: x2

This should apply to all equippable weapons, as well as disarmed damage.

Sound

Charlie has custom sounds available (meaning she gets her own voice!) in Don't Starve AND Don't Starve Together! Unfortunately, there is a problem with Steam Workshop where custom character mods with custom sound won't get added into the mod lists of players who are subscribed to said mod. So! Charlie with custom sound will only be available here. Please make sure when playing DST that all of your party has the same version of the mod! Sorry for the inconvenience!

(Note: This character will be differentiated from the custom-soundless one as "Charlie (Sound)")

Thank you for checking out my mod! May all of your adventures be gruesome, and if you have any suggestions, please visit the thread linked above!

What's New in Version 1.4   See changelog

Released

Don't Starve

• Charlie now has custom intros from Maxwell in Don't Starve's base game and RoG!

Don't Starve Together

• Updated artwork. New compatibility with pants
  • Updated dialog
  • Update sound: New pose and emote sounds. Just as in Don't Starve, the mod with sound will be known as "Charlie (Sound)". Please make sure that everyone in your party has the same Charlie before playing to avoid complications!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello,the mod is really good.I like it very much.But why Charlie has no different abilities?I hope you can do better at this. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice! Looks great, I want to put it on my server asap! Is it in the workshop? 

Just put up the links in the description! Apparently, workshop isn't giving them to people right now, so I'm working on how to fix that problem. I apologize OTL

Hello,the mod is really good.I like it very much.But why Charlie has no different abilities?I hope you can do better at this. :grin:

I apologize, I'm entirely new to this coding business! If you have suggestions, please pop by the thread related to her, I'd love to talk!

Nice.

Wow, this looks like it should actually be a part of the game :grin:

Thank you very much!! 

Is there a download for RoG? All I'm getting is the DST one

Uggggh;; I apologize!! I didn't let the file upload all the way before updating OTL Yeup! RoG is up there.

Not to be offensive but she kinda plays like a weaker Abigail. Maybe adding a slight speed change or a new item to go with her makes her a bit more interesting.  It does look really cool and amazing, you really did a good job on this.

Love the art :-)

Not to be offensive but she kinda plays like a weaker Abigail. Maybe adding a slight speed change or a new item to go with her makes her a bit more interesting.  It does look really cool and amazing, you really did a good job on this.

Thank you .w. Yeah, right now this is more of a place to start than a finished project. I'm expecting to make some more changes to her to separate her from the rest.

Why you gotta tempt me with Charlie huh? You know I try to avoid playing custom characters (now you do)!

I want to see what she looks like... grr

Fine, I give in!

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm kind of a n00b, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting Charlie's sound files to be compatible with the game (which I have on Steam). How would you go about getting my game to get the custom charlie sounds, if you know?

I really like the mod, but she should definetly have night vision considering she is charlie, also if her damage s increased at night because she is relative to charlie the monster, it would only make sense if she had night vision

• Like 1

AmaLee - What a wonderful character! I have a lot of fun playing her. The graphics are top notch, the voice is great, and even the dialogue is well thought out (I hadn't noticed before how short she is in the William Carter puzzles!).

With respect to the folks here clamoring for some kind of night vision or darkness immunity, I think that would deviate too much from what the game is supposed to be about. Her dialogue and fear about not letting Them take her back explains the situation just fine.

She plays kind of like Wolfgang - scared of the dark; you go wreck monsters when the time is right.

Two qualities really define Charlie: 1) once and future Night Monster, and 2) Maxwell's apprentice. Her dialogue does a good job with #2, but the mechanics with her character are all about #1. What can be done to show both sides of her? Rapport with rabbits? Less of a sanity hit for using magic? Craftable silk hair-flower that does. . . something?

Really high quality character. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1